Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help needed to identify two old foreign coins

Part of a small accumulation I recently purchased. Can't find the first one in the listing of irish coins in my very dated Krause.
Have no idea what the second one is either. Is it silver? Thanks.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lower coin is Brazilian. Probably struck over a Spanish colonial.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 1:23PM

First coin is indeed Irish, either a half-penny or one penny, in copper, Exactly which denomination depends on size and weight. King George IV. Appears to be common.

The crown-sized Brazilian 960 reis in silver is desirable, but the grade is lower than typically seen.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    First coin is indeed Irish, either a half-penny or one penny, in copper, Exactly which denomination depends on size and weight. King George IV. Appears to be common.

Diameter is halfway between a US and a Canadian large cent, if that helps. Thanks again.i

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me, but something looks odd on that Brazilian piece. Lettering is kind of funky and it has the appearance of a cast coin.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Maybe it's just me, but something looks odd on that Brazilian piece. Lettering is kind of funky and it has the appearance of a cast coin.

You may well be correct, or it may have been worn as jewelry in a hot climate for a long time.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

To me it has the looked of being corroded and then cleaned

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me