Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Vending Boxes

I really don't know much about vending boxes. I did buy an 85 Fleer Baseball vending box once and it had cards not only in the standard format (from one end of the box to the end), but it also had cards stuffed in the side and on top. Does this mean I received a searched box? I did get one Kirby Puckett (OC) and no Clemens. I bought it from a reputable seller. Was I duped or do some vending boxes come that way from the factory?

Comments

• Options
    Uniship,
    I've bought many fleer vending boxes over the years and I have seen this too. I've seen 4-5 cards stuffed into the side at times. I once opened a 83 fleer and a Boggs was on the side, when graded it came back a 9. I have to believe this is a factory thing since I've gotten fleer vending from a factory sealed case that was opened right in front of me. If I recall the misplaced cards don't happen in every box though. As for centering, Fleer was no champion in the 80's on that!!

Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've had the same thing with Fleer from vending cases. For a while -- and I am not sure when they stopped, but Fleer attempted (poorly) to put a total of 3 sets distributed between four vending boxes. I've never seen it in order -- and I would say that they never did a great job at that.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    M.S.
    I agree with you on the poor job they did. I've put together sets many times from a 4 box run and came up a few cards short!!
  • Options
    70's vending boxes are like playing the lottery. Corners and edges tend to be fine, but miscuts and poor centering abound. When you do get a good vending box though, it's like hitting the lottery. The majority of cards are well centered with great edges and sharp corners. Even the color on the cards is better and brighter. I bet this is the result of when Topps changed the cutting blades and reinked the presses during their print runs. I bought a 1/2 case of 79 baseball vending 12 years ago and was amazed at the difference between the boxes. Unfortunately I made sets and sold them shortly thereafter. Guaranteed the cards would have graded 9. Oh well!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion