Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

WTB: 1964-D/D RPM-001 Jefferson Nickel

Ok all you Jefferson folks out there. I've been looking for this one for a long-long time! Let me know if you have one that you want to go to a kind and loving home!

Comments

• Options
    mtinismtinis Posts: 17 ✭✭

It is a beautiful coin, I should know as it is mine. You would think with almost 2 billion Denver Jefferson Nickels minted that there would be more of these. However, to the best of my knowledge mine nickel is the only attributed and graded 1964 D/D with the Coneca RPM 001. The above photo you have here pulled from NGC variety plus page is of my nickel.

Here is a photo of the graded coin.

Anacs and PCGS have zero and the three (3) 1964 D/D nickels on PCGS are the Coneca RPM 005 or the FS-501. PCGS has a price guide on an MS65 at $3000, with the highest sale going over $4000. So, what do you think my lone eagle is worth?

Additionally, I have the only 1964 D/D Coneca RPM 009 Penny NGC attributed and graded at MS66 RD, and the photo on the variety plus page is again my coin. Oh, did I mention that I also have the only 1964 D/D Pointed Nine Dime attributed and graded by NGC at MS65 and yes the photo on the variety plus page is mine. In fact, I have all the 1964 D/D coins from penny to Kennedy half in my collection, but just the penny, nickel, and dime are the photos on the variety plus listings.

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

minis,

First, welcome to the Forum and second, damn awesome coins! I've been hunting Jeffersons for a lot of years (don't want to age me too much)! This one has eluded me. Value is a tough call on a non-Cherry Picker variety. It's nice to see that NGC recognizes it, which gives it a higher level of desirability. Even though you seem to have the lone eagle, I'm one to wait for that cherry pick! If there is one, there has to be more somewhere.

You should start a post on the US Coin Forum to showcase this variety. Give a little story on some of the details to the find! Start the post by saying BigDowgie was looking for one!

Thanks for the reply!

• Options

Also, go to Variety Vista (James Wiles) website, link below. Not sure whose coin this is, but there is no "discoverer" listed. Maybe this should be you?

http://www.varietyvista.com/05 JN RPMs/1964DRPM001.htm

• Options

Thanks for the welcome, it is good to see others interested in the 1964 D/D varieties.
    The back story on this nickel is this. My father in law recently passed at the age of 93, and he had been collecting coins since the 1930s. So, I had thousands of coins to go thru and what a treasure trove he had. Some of the highlights were 1909 S VDB pennies, 1916 D Mercury Dimes, 1921 & 1934 S Peace Dollars. The lists goes on and on, but now the sad part. My father in law stored his coins either in cigar tobacco cans or those dam PVC flips. Anyway, you know what happens to coins stored that way. However, for some reason he segregated all the 1964 coins into glass jars. So, I had jars of Kennedy, Washington, Roosevelt, Jefferson, and Lincoln coins. All of these coins were BU condition! I have always loved nickels and so sorted thru the nickel jars first. Hundreds of beautiful UN-circulated 1964 Jeffersons looking up at me. In that pile was this coin and off to NGC it went only to come back MS65 without the variety attribution. I questioned this and was told that it wasn't one of their recognized varieties so no joy. Well, I pointed out that it was recognized by CONECA as RPM 001 and I wanted it added to their varieties. I was told to send it back attention "David Lange" and he would make the determination. Well, it was accepted in and the photo of the RPM is my coin. If you check their census you find only one coin. Now you know the rest of the story.

• Options

That's awesome! Did you check the link? James Wiles is looking for an example for further review and pictures for CONECA listings he maintains on his site.

• Options

Yes, I did look at his site. However, since I have no idea what this coin is worth and it has great sentimental value to my wife, I would be very nervous about sending it off in the mail.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2019 12:33PM

Good point, but let me provide you with my opinion on this variety at this particular time.

I acknowledge this is a pretty cool variety that I would like to own an example of one of these days. I have been collecting the Jefferson Series for quite a while and have only stepped up to pay "significant dollars" for very few varieties. The 1939 DDR PCGS MS66+FS, 1945-P DDR PCGS MS65FS and the 1946-S DDO PCGS MS66 (traded this one away and now have an MS65). The 1964-D/D RPM FS-501 sold pretty strong, as you noted. All of these coins are listed in the Cherry Pickers Guide and are included in the PCGS Registry Sets. This variety has not reached the same level just because NGC attributes it. The variety nickel guys I know are PCGS only. My opinion, super strong money for this variety at this time might be $500 to $1,000. For me, I would pass. As I said, I don't want to take away from this cool variety, but you'll have to wait until it hits Cherry Pickers or PCGS decides to attribute it and then add it to the Registry Sets.

If you look at my "All Variety" Set, there are some other pretty cool varieties that would be Pop 1's if NGC or PCGS started attributing them too. If I sold these today, my guess is they would bring a fraction of what I quoted above.

Just my opinion and observations. I think you would be safe sending the coin to James Wiles. He would really enjoy seeing it. Also, you will make a new friend for future questions!

Catch ya

• Options

Once again, thanks for you input. I will run it by my wife to see if she wants me to send it off for James to review, but I think I know what the answer will be.

I don't think my wife would part with any of her father's coins regardless of value since that was something they shared as she was growing up. What I have attempted to do is to sort thru all of her father's coins picking out the best to have them graded and slabbed. Doing so protects the coins for her enjoyment and later to pass on to the grand kids.

I know that the registry people seem to favor PCGS slabbed coins and I thought about attempting to cross over some coins including this nickel to PCGS. Never the less, I started out with NGC since they are just around the corner from us here in Florida. It is kind of cool to say I have the only one of this or I was the first at that, but I'm sure that will change in time as other examples are found.

I wish you the best of luck in securing one of these varieties and I will keep you in mind should I run across another.

• Options

You are welcome and hope I did not offend you. You have a great story behind that coin and you should keep it. Right now it is Pop 1, so enjoy! Don't send it to PCGS, as you will loose the Variety Attribution. Also, you are right on by having the nice coins graded. This definitely will protect you and eventually your children.

Keep hunting and let me know what other cool stuff turns up!

Catch ya

• Options

Oh, I almost moved to Sarasota!

• Options

Just thought about this for you to think about or convince your wife this could be a good move. If you send the coin to Mr. Wiles, my guess is he will put this one on the list for the next edition of Cherry Pickers. It may be 3 to 5 years out, but who knows.

He liked my 1939 DDO FS-101 enough to place this one in the last edition. Pretty cool!

• Options

No offense taken as I'm a collector and not a dealer especially so with these coins. However, when it comes to the monetary value of an object it's value is only what some one else is willing to pay for it. It's a shame that coin collecting is no longer a hobby but a big business.

Where else would some one pay $86,654 for an ounce of silver!

Or $4,345 for a 1964 D/D Kennedy in MS64 Condition!

Funny thing about coin collecting is that same type and grade Kennedy is now for sale on eBay for $90

Did you notice that they were all PCGS holders? Registry people do silly things when they want to be first or only.

So, what makes them so valuable? There are hundreds of millions of Kennedy half dollars. The same can be said about the American Silver Eagle; coins that have an intrinsic value of $5.25 and $14.15 respectively. I congratulate you for not willing to over spend on something just because of it's perceived worth!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2019 12:20PM

@mtinis said:
    It is a beautiful coin, I should know as it is mine. You would think with almost 2 billion Denver Jefferson Nickels minted that there would be more of these. However, to the best of my knowledge mine nickel is the only attributed and graded 1964 D/D with the Coneca RPM 001. The above photo you have here pulled from NGC variety plus page is of my nickel.

Here is a photo of the graded coin.

Anacs and PCGS have zero and the three (3) 1964 D/D nickels on PCGS are the Coneca RPM 005 or the FS-501. PCGS has a price guide on an MS65 at $3000, with the highest sale going over $4000. So, what do you think my lone eagle is worth?

Additionally, I have the only 1964 D/D Coneca RPM 009 Penny NGC attributed and graded at MS66 RD, and the photo on the variety plus page is again my coin. Oh, did I mention that I also have the only 1964 D/D Pointed Nine Dime attributed and graded by NGC at MS65 and yes the photo on the variety plus page is mine. In fact, I have all the 1964 D/D coins from penny to Kennedy half in my collection, but just the penny, nickel, and dime are the photos on the variety plus listings.

Neat coins. I have both the P & D 1964 pointed 9 dimes attributed by PCGS. I wish they were part of the Registry set.