Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why do Ken Griffey Jr. cards sell for so much ?

I know nothing about the 1980's. Never have tracked any baseball card sales or things about the late 80s and early 90's. I did just noticed though that Ken Griffey Jr. UD rookie cards in PSA 10 sell for over $500, whereas hall of fame guys like Tom Glavine and others can sell for under $50. What is it about the Griffey that makes it that much higher ?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be, the card is just so iconic. Plus the fact that he was one of the best home run hitters of all time. He also had that famous home run swing, a beautiful swing. It's just a very iconic card.

If Griffey Jr. had not stayed injured so much, he might very well have the all time home run record.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 9:50AM

Because he was arguably the most talented and most popular player of his generation. Not all HOFers are created equal, especially in a hobby driven by demand. Look at the premium Mantle gets over other HOFers of the 50s and 60s. Have you ever questioned that? It’s the same thing.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demand. Jr is very popular among collectors. Just look at the number of PSA sets for him vs other players.

Many collectors who watched Jr during his heyday are now at the point where they have some disposable income.

So demand plus buyers with $ to spend = higher prices.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he's the second greatest lefty to come out of Donora, PA.

Andy

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

So many variables to include as well, such as the brand and scarcity of the cards in question. Aside from minor league issues or scare regional/oddball sets, many of the 80s/90s rookie cards are from massivly overpruduced and undesirable sets. The UD Griffey could be considered one of the first truly "limited" mass produced RCs of that era, although I believe even that is not true. However, those packs were outpricing previous packs by close to double and Griffey was the card to get and that helped fuel the rapid rise in value of this "premium" card.

You also have to consider the fact that collectors/investors in masses are slow to move as a group in this hobby (we still value cards that once had but no longer should have great value-flopped prospects and low serial numbered cards of nobodies and we spend too much on cards that really have no other value than a possibility in the future-rookie prospecting ) and sentimentality goes a long way. Even though a 1989 UD card of anyone is not hard to find, we have elevated the Griffey card to a higher status and thus people will pay more.

Really, it is even odd that we have placed such an extreme value on first cards too. They are often no harder to get than later year cards and can be pretty boring or ugly cards, where as later issue cards might have more style, maybe in a high series or an SP or just look better. If you look back on the relatively short history of this hobby as a business, you'll see that the rookie phenomenon started much later that you'd expect given how popular rookie cards are now.

I steer clear of rookie hype as much as possible and just enjoy the cards I like.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    So many variables to include as well, such as the brand and scarcity of the cards in question. Aside from minor league issues or scare regional/oddball sets, many of the 80s/90s rookie cards are from massivly overpruduced and undesirable sets. The UD Griffey could be considered one of the first truly "limited" mass produced RCs of that era, although I believe even that is not true. However, those packs were outpricing previous packs by close to double and Griffey was the card to get and that helped fuel the rapid rise in value of this "premium" card.

You also have to consider the fact that collectors/investors in masses are slow to move as a group in this hobby (we still value cards that once had but no longer should have great value-flopped prospects and low serial numbered cards of nobodies and we spend too much on cards that really have no other value than a possibility in the future-rookie prospecting ) and sentimentality goes a long way. Even though a 1989 UD card of anyone is not hard to find, we have elevated the Griffey card to a higher status and thus people will pay more.

Really, it is even odd that we have placed such an extreme value on first cards too. They are often no harder to get than later year cards and can be pretty boring or ugly cards, where as later issue cards might have more style, maybe in a high series or an SP or just look better. If you look back on the relatively short history of this hobby as a business, you'll see that the rookie phenomenon started much later that you'd expect given how popular rookie cards are now.

I steer clear of rookie hype as much as possible and just enjoy the cards I like.

Excellent point about rookie or first cards. I too have always been puzzled about how this phenomenon began. It seems as though rookie cards have become an absolute obsession in this hobby. I buy rookie cards of players, but like you said, a lot of the other cards of players are just as desirable and sought after than the rookie cards are.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who was collecting in '89 with the advent of UD may hold Griffey Jr in a special place?

His "other" RC's are no where near what the UD card commands in a 10.

Mike
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Nike ran a campaign for Griffey like Bo Jackson. So Griffey is just more recognized than others in the 1989 set although Randy Johnson was probably just as good.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 9:30AM

@1970s said:

@DBesse27 said:
    Because he was arguably the most talented and most popular player of his generation. Not all HOFers are created equal, especially in a hobby driven by demand. Look at the premium Mantle gets over other HOFers of the 50s and 60s. Have you ever questioned that? It’s the same thing.

Mickey Mantle was just THAT good. Mantle's lifetime WAR was 109 to Griffey Jr.'s 83.
    Plus, Mantle played in New York.

My point wasn't to say that Mantle and Griffey were equal. My point was that popularity drives demand and thereby prices. Your NYC point just supports my popularity argument.

Furthermore, my point 1B was that, based on HOF credentials alone, there's no reason other than popularity/demand that the Mick so greatly outsells other superstars of the 1950s and 60s. If you're disagreeing with my popularity point (I don't know if you are) and if you're contending that on field performance is the reason for the Mick premium, with WAR as your measuring stick of choice, please consider this. You say Mick's career WAR is 109. Willie Mays' was 156. Hank Aaron's was 143, yet realized prices for Mick cards blow both those guys out of the water. I'm sorry, but hobby dollars are spent on the players we like(d). I stand by that explanation for the original question.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Have you guys seen what's happening with the 1989 Donruss in PSA 10? Prices are looking up.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I find it extraordinary with the sheer number of cards produced during Griffey's playing days ... prices continue to rise ... having to saturate that level of inventory..... its a tribute to how beloved he is.....if Barry Bonds had his demeanor, temperament and popularity his cards would be through the roof but so many still loathe the fella.

Yep, the one tool Bonds lacked was a personality. That stuff matters. Ask Jim Rice.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 10:06PM

@Stone193 said:
    His "other" RC's are no where near what the UD card commands in a 10.

Actually, the 1989 Bowman Tiffany is the most valuable Griffey Jr RC in PSA 10, at around $1,900 - $2,000.

Steve

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to gauge hobby interest by comparing the prices realized for 90's inserts as these are usually the most sought after by player collectors. Griffey and Jeter command the highest premiums with other stars like Frank Thomas, Maddux, Ripken and others trailing far behind. While Jeter commands high prices now, at that time Griffey was the face of baseball and his demand has remained constant.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone loves Griffey, he never got tied to steroids which makes his lovers love him more lol

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

The UD Griffey rookie card was a hot card from the get go. I remember buying one of the first ones I saw at a show in early 1989 for $6.50...without really knowing who he was. It was a hot rookie card and that's all that really mattered. Funny story, I remember a couple of guys at the same show buying pack after pack of '89 UD attempting to get the Dale Murphy error. Every time they got a Griffey they'd take it back to the guy selling the packs and trade it for 2 or 3 more packs. Nope, I don't think they ever got a Murphy! But just think how much money they would have eventually made had they held on to those Griffeys. (Didn't it peak at around $75-80 raw for a while?)

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

griffey had charisma

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    griffey had charisma

Is that contagious?

Mike
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Really compared to some cards that have sold recently the Griffey card is actually low priced for an actual hall of famer.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@craig44 said:
    griffey had charisma

Is that contagious?

I think there may be vaccines for it!!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 8:31AM

perkdog nailed it. Not being tied to ‘roids in any way, shape, or form is a huge factor. He’s loved by all.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a big difference. In the Fleer and Upper Deck prices.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 5:35PM

First card of a premier issue. Iconic.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 1:58AM

Gotta Love The KID :)

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    I like to gauge hobby interest by comparing the prices realized for 90's inserts as these are usually the most sought after by player collectors. Griffey and Jeter command the highest premiums with other stars like Frank Thomas, Maddux, Ripken and others trailing far behind. While Jeter commands high prices now, at that time Griffey was the face of baseball and his demand has remained constant.

These OLD Things??

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

all 89 Sets are a tough Grade,,,
    no way around it

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

I've posted about this before..growing up this was the card to have, but when it climbed to $30 in early 90's and i was 12-13 years old it just wasn't feasible. It was something we always wanted, and in 2016 when i saw it in psa gem 10 for $300 at the national i couldn't get the cash out quick enough....

its just one of those iconic cards for all kids who were collectors during the 90's and that alone will make it continue to climb in value.

• Check out his 162 game avg:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/griffke02.shtml

He’s one of the greatest of all time.