Home Q & A Forum
Options

Walking Liberty Half Dollar 1921 S

Dear all, please leave your comment on this coins. As i would like to know more from you guy before i send it for grading. Condition, grade, suggestion, value, etc.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to have been cleaned to me. Maybe not recently. I don't see any luster although dress libes, feathers and cactus look good. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Appears to have been cleaned to me. Maybe not recently. I don't see any luster although dress libes, feathers and cactus look good. IMO. Peace Roy

Thank you. the actual item not in hand yet. from these picture, agreed don's see any "luster", but during the original picture when i bidding this coins, the picture shown is with "luster" on it. while the pictures above is taken by my friend as the item current keep by him at this moment.
    i' m so excited and can't wait to get some open opinion to discuss on this, before get it in hand and will decide send for grading. 1st thing i am worried is counterfeit issue. if this matter pass, than the rest is bonus for me, whatever grade i got later. my best guess is AU50 to MS62 (if there is no cleaned issue).

here the additional photos base on the time i bid this coins. Yes, i get it with "hard fight" by increasing the bidding price during the last 10 minutes ending moment with other bidder.

My concern is, the coin i get is:
    1) Counterfeit ?
    2) Au Detail - Cleaned ?
    3) AU50 - AU58 ?
    4) MS60 - MS62 ?

As you are the 1st answered it might be : no. 2 @Namvet69

Looking for for opinion. Welcome for any comment.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 8:52AM

Welcome to the forums @tymestms!

Based upon the pics in the first post the 1921-S Walker is dull and lifeless. Cleaned. Suspect.

Are you saying the seller was changing the pics during the auction? Or adding pics? Does not sound good.

From Coin Facts for comparison:

AU55

MS65+

More pics here: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-s-50c/6585

You might want to post in the US Coin forum for more responses.

Edit to add another comparison pic. Thanks @Insider2 for the heads-up! :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice looking coin that is loaded with luster! However, I would never buy a coin of this value not already graded unless I were a very knowledgeable numismatist. In that case, I would not need to ask what others thought about its grade.

Welcome to the forum and good luck! You should send it to PCGS when you get it.

• Options
    JoeCorradoJoeCorrado Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 9:08AM

Without considering luster (not really a grading issue of itself) or cleaning issues, it looks to be of good strike, with excellent detail, no visible damage, no wearing, scratches or bag marks. No other signs of abuse that I can positively identify.

I am not an expert grader, my best guess would be between a strong AU 55-58 to a mid BU <= MS64 although I expect opinions will vary and keep in mind this is based off of the photos only so my AU could be conservative- I can't say with certainty. or the MS64 generous! 🌞 A MS62+ is certainly a good expectation when you send it for grading and if pushed, that is where I would put it today. Suprises do happen so keep it in mind!

I am interested in what others think since like I say, opinions can vary and the only ones that matter are yours... and of course the actual grader on the day that your coin comes up!

• Options

Thanks to hemispherical and insider2, i am totally new into US coins collection. Started about years ago, learning from pcgd coinsfact. When saw the coins above, noted it is rare date. I manage to get it at very low cost. Which is still a risk if it is counterfeit. But if it genuine, with the cost i got it. You will be surprised. I am worried about the counterfeit matter due to i had noted there is many counterfeit in the market recently what i mean is super high quality counterfeit, almost 95 to 99% close to genuine one. Unless weight it, check it on hand. There is majority china republic coins, straits settlements, hong kong victoria dollar, british trade dollar.

However base on the photo, i take the risk. As i manage to get it at about USD900. With this cost, as long as it is graded genuine. It is a win. Will gain more confidence.
    Thanks Joe. Good to hear your opinion.

1) Counterfeit : 0
    2) Cleaned : Namvet69, hemispherical
    3) AU50 - AU58 : myself (58), Joe (55)
    4) MS60 - MS63 : 0

• Options
    tymestmstymestms Posts: 10
    edited May 12, 2019 10:01AM

Beside this half dollar 1921s. I had just got one of the grading result for my latest collection. Which is now i am using it as my profile pictures. Dime 1955s with ms67+.

There is still few other coins waiting result : Cent 1926 s, Quarters 1918 D, Quarters 1920 s (variety?) & half dollar 1954 s (rainbow toned).

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tymestms

Please follow-up with updated pics when you get the Walker.

Very nice ‘55-S.

Good luck to you!

• Options

@JoeCorrado said: "I am not an expert grader..." Also: "Without considering luster (not really a grading issue of itself) ..."

Joe, I like your guess of the grade on the coin but you may want to read up on the importance of mint luster and eye appeal - two very important considerations when grading coins. :wink:

• Options
    tymestmstymestms Posts: 10
    edited June 19, 2019 6:00AM

Just received this coins yesteday.
    So relief confirmed that the condition of the coind is up to my earlier expectation.
    Now just pending when will send for grading with PCGS.

• Options

It is an AU.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect and enjoy Walkers. It looks from the most recent photos to be 50 - 55.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 60, nice looking walker.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

55, maybe 55+ on a Friday

• Options

@tymestms

Do you see why some of us are grading the half AU?

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

So what became of this?
    In the picture dated May 12 that purports to demonstrate luster, I do not see a mint mark.