Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1963 Topps Stan Musial wrong back

gtgrad99gtgrad99 Posts: 227 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a premium or discount applied to "wrong back" cards? I found a decent 63 Musial today, but noticed the back is of some Angels catcher named Bob Rodgers (see below). Also, would these be given an actual grade, or just be labeled Authentic?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love error cards. They're one of a kind.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them too.

I sent in a couple of Killebrew "wrongbacks" and PSA would not grade them. This was a couple of years ago.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah PSA won’t grade them and the increase in value is small and only if you find the right buyer. Wrong backs are very niche. I collect Yaz and I might pay 10-20% more for a raw wrong back than I otherwise would for that card.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I like them until we get up to ‘87 or so. Then they seem like a dime a dozen.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I could see something like that being very desirable, but as noted, it is a niche market. Having a HOF great on front like Musial helps immensely and the age of the card is huge too. I would assume a lot fewer cards like that survived if they were older. We encase anything these days, but back then kids rubberbanded, bike spoked, wrote on and did other horros to the cards because they were not investmenets, but simply bonuses that came with gum!

I can totally imagine a kid pulling a card like this in 1963, flipping it over to read Stan the Man's stats and finding Rodgers instead. In response to this major injustice, the kid proceeds to either cross out or edit the bad info or tosses the card because it is a lie!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 74 topps Griffey rookie card graded PSA 8 with a wrong back. It is a very old flip and the label makes no mention of the error. It may have slipped by the grader or maybe they graded the wrong backs back then.

edited May 12, 2019 2:38PM

@pab1969 said:
    I have 74 topps Griffey rookie card graded PSA 8 with a wrong back. It is a very old flip and the label makes no mention of the error. It may have slipped by the grader or maybe they graded the wrong backs back then.

I sent my (also 1974!) Killebrew in and it came back an 8. I sent it back informing PSA that it was a "wrongback". I was hoping to add it to the Killebrew Master registry set. They un-holdered it and returned the card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@pab1969 said:

I sent my (also 1974!) Killebrew in and it came back an 8. I sent it back informing PSA that it was a "wrongback". I was hoping to add it to the Killebrew Master registry set. They un-holdered it and returned the card.

I've heard of this lack of consistency by PSA regarding wrong backs as well.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

That sucks! I purchased my Griffey error card already graded a long time ago. I think this version is much more desirable due to its scarcity. Anyone can purchase a regular graded Griffey PSA 8 but to find one graded with the error is cooler. I wonder how may are out there? I bet if there was a pop count for the graded errors it would be in the single digits.

@pab1969 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

That sucks! I purchased my Griffey error card already graded a long time ago. I think this version is much more desirable due to its scarcity. Anyone can purchase a regular graded Griffey PSA 8 but to find one graded with the error is cooler. I wonder how may are out there? I bet if there was a pop count for the graded errors it would be in the single digits.

Having both is good.

@DBesse27 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@pab1969 said:

I've heard of this lack of consistency by PSA regarding wrong backs as well.

Would like to see an example of a card graded by PSA with "Wrong back" in description on label.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given my collecting interests my favorite wrong backs are 1973 baseball cards that were made with the 1st series wacky packages checklist on the back. A decent number of these exist and they are super cool for people who are interested in both sets.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am one who enjoys picking up error cards. I've seen a bunch of 1963 Topps wrong backs but never with the back card centered like that. I have a '63 Gil Hodges with (I believe) Dean Chance on the back but the back is quite miscut.

Daniel