Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this French coin genuine?

I know that if it is real it is 1798-99 one centimes. I found this in the world coin bin so I bought it please help decide if it’s real.

Comments

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Looks like one centime 1798 km#646

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me.

Conditionwise it would be somewhat above average, but the discoloration on the obverse and reverse are troublesome.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeh I was I bit worried about the spots but I did only pay 5 cents for it. Thank you guys for helping.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Looks good to me as well. This is a Lan 6 example I picked up a while ago you can compare it to.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the answer, but would a long soak in olive oil help those green areas?

• Options

That dark of an area I don't think much will help it other than the superficial stuff. Graders can be kind to older copper but I think it will get Ed if it was ever graded as its into the coin. For a few Cents its a good deal.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a positive experience with a soak in hydrogen peroxide to remove the green corrosion? I don't think it would hurt the good copper. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I never used it. Generally I use olive oil but only is helpful with superficial green sludge. I have heard people have decent results with chemical treatments but I usually wont mess with chemicals or coins that need them. I figure its smarter to get a better example if possible rather than waste the time and effort and still end up with a problem coin.

Chris

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have experimented with some old copper coins with corrosion and hydrogen peroxide does remove the green very slowly over days. You'll see the bubbling. Does not appear to affect the Brown copper surface condition. Household peroxide is weak. I'm sure you have some sacrificial copper to try it on. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall