Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hi guys, a little help please!!

DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
edited May 10, 2019 9:06PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi guys, cant seem to find anything on this, cant even seem to find the right verbiage to search on ebay/Google

Any help appeciated!!

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I struck out in the few Google searches I tried, as well- which surprised me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 11:38PM

@DontTellTheWife

Found some information on the significance of 1969. Cannot find anything on the token/medal. Might be a souvenir for non-royalty?

“Sep. 09, 1969 - Emperor of Japan receives Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdown: Emperor Hirohito and Empress Nagako of Japan, chat with Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdown in the salon of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, when they were received shortly after their arrival in Tokyo to attend British Week which the Princess will formerly open tomorrow (Sept 26), following her return from a sightseeing trip in the Kansai prefecture.”

——-

Published on Jul 21, 2015
    (26 Sep 1969) Princess Margaret represents Britain in Japan during British week and view of the site of Expo 70

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHRS6TuJmSE

• Options

Thanks everyone!

I picked this up in my local coin club auction. You never know!!!

It had a note attached, saying it was from a 1953 visit to Japan. Strange, cause then the rev. Said 1969.

Ps if anyone can read , I'm guessing Japanese I'll post COA

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a private issue made as a souvenir. If it was an "Official" memento it has more value. The translation will ID it for you.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any hallmarks on the edge? Silver content? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

The COA appears to list various issues in platinum, gold, and silver of varying fineness. The hallmark on the lower reverse would seem to match the silver issue, although the picture is a little too blurry in that spot to make out the exact fineness.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

Thansk again guys.

No hallmarks on the edge.

I'll have to weigh it and test it on a precious metals verifier

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 2:40PM

All the Japanese paperwork suggests it was a Japanese issue.

That is an interesting fineness chart - my guess is the three sections are for platinum, gold, and silver. The second column in each section shows how the item would be marked.

If you look at the side of the medal with the date, at the bottom is a row of characters, the last two of which are a flag and a diamond shape. I can't read it in the picture, but the diamond shape will contain a number representing the fineness. (BTW - that hallmark confirms it was issued in Japan).

• Options

Thanks JBK.

It says 1000

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure silver, then. :p

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 6:18AM

Try and flatten/smooth out the paperwork, then if you download the google translate app you can take a photo and get a translation.

The headers are metal--which you can get contextually, but here you go:

銀 'gin' silver
    金 'kin' gold
    白金 'shirogane' platinum

edit to add: if you can post a photo of the other side of the certificate not upside down I can maybe try and use my phone and the computer screen to try. I hope you get the app and see if can work on the tag too.

• Options

I'll take another picture the right way

Me and apps, ..........well, no!