Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Has Probstein Gone Off The Deep End?

A 1963 Topps #216 Gene Conley baseball card PSA 7 for one thousand dollars? He has TWO at that price and many more cards for sale at the same price! You could pick up a 7 of this card for around 10 bucks on FleaBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Topps-216-Gene-Conley-Boston-Red-Sox-PSA-7-NM/362644884208?hash=item546f51caf0:g:GgEAAOSw3s5c1FGc

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

Comments

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

They’re just placeholders. He does this fairly often.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

If they were autos I would think they were trying to get a quick opinion. Probably some other part of their process.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not Oscar's finest work.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just Grandpappy Rick. You never know what's next with him.😉

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good ol' pawpappy Rick.😉

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Yea, the 1964 Meredith PSA 7(ST) for $1000 was a real treat.

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

He’s your daddy. Happy Friday.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1000.00 for a 1963 PSA 7 AL Home Run Leader card!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Supposedly if someone sends him $1 million in cards he will let them use buy it nows at whatever prices they pick. It seemed at first like a ridiculously high amount, but with pricing cards at 100X the normal return a lot of collectors could reach the threshold. Now we will have to block probstein like deanscards.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2019 6:07AM

Speaking of Probstein, in the last year or so he keeps putting up numerous freshly graded PSA 10s from all 1970s sets. What they all have in common is the old style hologram rather than the lighthouse even though the cert numbers are current. That seems to be the hallmark of a bulk submitter as 4SC has sometimes had similar cards. I’m just curious who is grading and consigning all these cards.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

When i see very high prices on cards i think of the WC.Fields quote"There's a sucker born every minute"so i can see why sellers trying to get top buck.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Supposedly if someone sends him $1 million in cards he will let them use buy it nows at whatever prices they pick. It seemed at first like a ridiculously high amount, but with pricing cards at 100X the normal return a lot of collectors could reach the threshold. Now we will have to block probstein like deanscards

This exactly what is killing the hobby, guys like Dean & Probstien. Who in the F can afford these prices.
    I know I can’t and won’t.
    These guys have no clue!!!!!!!

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Speaking of Probstein, in the last year or so he keeps putting up numerous freshly graded PSA 10s from all 1970s sets. What they all have in common is the old style hologram rather than the lighthouse even though the cert numbers are current. That seems to be the hallmark of a bulk submitter as 4SC has sometimes had similar cards. I’m just curious who is grading and consigning all these cards.

I'd guess 4SC. My last few orders from them have been newly graded cards with the older flips. I can see them throwing stuff like PSA 10s up for auction when you never know what it could go for.

Arthur

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

This aspect of it is not even considered "the hobby" to me. Hobbyists are the guys in groups like OBC and similiar collectors who just enjoy baseball cards like they were intended to be enjoyed as. Guys paying $1000s for commons in top grade are most likely either show offs or people who just have more money than they know what do do with and feel they must have the very best or both! The difference between a very nice "mint" raw card and one that was inspcted under magnification and graded 10 is almost negligable to the human eye, so why spend 100x the price? There is no good reason for most of us.

The finest of the finest of any item that can be bought and sold is really only for the elite with crazy money, so why is that even considered to be part of the rest of the community who might be splurging if they spend $50 in a week? That hobby that most of us live in should not live and die with what happens in the high end "hobby".

@fiveniner said:

@secretstash said:
    Supposedly if someone sends him $1 million in cards he will let them use buy it nows at whatever prices they pick. It seemed at first like a ridiculously high amount, but with pricing cards at 100X the normal return a lot of collectors could reach the threshold. Now we will have to block probstein like deanscards

This exactly what is killing the hobby, guys like Dean & Probstien. Who in the F can afford these prices.
    I know I can’t and won’t.
    These guys have no clue!!!!!!!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    When its set registry awards time .......May 31st I believe ....I have sold many of my registry cards for 2 and 3 times book..... One cannot overlook the competition for best sets on the PSA SET REGISTRY...... high graded low pops. can be sold for minor fortunes...... ESPECIALLY in the month of May. Probstein knows this phenomenon as do many many other sellers. It's certainly not everything~ but some very certain particular things.

Some of these cards are neither low pop OR high grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set