when related to a copper coin?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect you are referring to earlier coinages and not the latest NCLTs?
    If so burnished is basically polished with abrasives...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 6:54AM

Burnish is a uncirculated Coin with a vapor blast. If you look close you will see sparkle to the surface. All 5oz ATB specimen's have this finish

Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint awaits new vapor-blasting equipment
    Wants consistent finishes on 5-ounce silver coins

By Paul Gilkes-Coin World Staff
    Published : 08/01/11

“New equipment the U.S. Mint ordered to produce the post-strike vapor-blast finish applied to Uncirculated America the Beautiful 5-ounce silver coins likely will be able to resolve the inconsistency in the finish being reported for 2010-P coins, U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White said July 27.

White said the U.S. Mint late in 2010 began the procurement process to obtain the new equipment to handle projected increased production for Uncirculated 2011-P and later America the Beautiful 5-ounce silver coins. The new machinery has not yet been received for installation at the Philadelphia Mint, White said.

“While we have ordered new equipment to execute automated vapor blasting on the America the Beautiful 5-ounce silver Uncirculated coins, we are currently using the process originally used for our 3-inch medals,” White said. “That equipment required retro-fitting and readjustment for the process, and has required additional maintenance due to the higher volume and substantially increased wear of this program.

“The new equipment will allow us to move from the manual, batch process to more closely integrate the vapor blasting application into the overall production line for the coin,” White said.

White acknowledged that the existing retrofitted equipment has created some post-strike finish application problems.“

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2011/08/mint-awaits-new-vapor-blasting-equipment.all.html

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I suspect you are referring to earlier coinages and not the latest NCLTs?
    If so burnished is basically polished with abrasives...

Yes, 19th C coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

See above - the answers given were for more recent NCLT.

Burnished is just that - it is actual friction to the surface that is applied and not just to coins.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 11:04AM

Most burnishing that I have heard about is blasting a coin with high pressure air and talc or some other similar miniscule-grained material. You are old enough so that you should have had a burnishing tool in your toolbox for removing carbon off relay contacts or points (distributor). Those tools were very very very fine metal strips that were used with a handle.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the long-time and normal definition of burnishing: Burnishing is the plastic deformation of a surface due to sliding contact with another object. Visually, burnishing smooths the texture of a rough surface and makes it shinier.

It is NOT vapor blasting. Easy for modern folks to come along and "twist" the old terms for their own use. When I take a tool and smooth out the surface of a large cent I am altering its surface. I have "tooled" the coin or as the new guys say, it is "smoothed." LOL. AFAIK, all burnishing to a coin is a fraudulent alteration.

**It is a darn shame the U.S. Mint calls a form of "blasting" the surface of a die with something "burnishing!"