Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

wayne gretzky signed hockey stick blade

Picked this up tonight at my usual 2nd hand store ( value village ) was behind the glass showcase and scooped it up as there were others eyeing it too. The blade is signed by wayne gretzky .. its not mint and has lil wear but the sig is nice and clean.. ill try get a clearer photo soon of it. its not a whole stick just the blade but still nice.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Nice find! The great one.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

yea there were others eyeing it while i was looking over. i payed a lil bit for it .. am hoping i didn't do bad on the price

• Options

Anything Gretzky is worth it.

• Options

I payed $45 for the signed blade xd

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 7:48PM

@doubledragon said:

If it is...... and believe me I'm not claiming it's not. I am far from a Gretzky signature expert but two things jump out at me. Both with the "G" in Gretzky. He normally dosent loop the G and also it tends to pitch forward with the first stroke and not back like the one on your blade.

Perhaps Casey @MrHockey can offer an opinion.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

@doubledragon said:

If it is...... and believe me I'm not claiming it's not. I am far from a Gretzky signature expert but two things jump out at me. Both with the "G" in Gretzky. He normally dosent loop the G and also it tends to pitch forward with the first stroke and not back like the one on your blade.

Perhaps Casey @MrHockey can offer an opinion.

Kevin

Also, the autos I have seen graded have a right leaning bias.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 8:03PM

I found a site called sportsmemorabilia that has 4 gretzky sigs for sale that match mine though.. ill load in a scan of one.. maybe he has variations now.

https://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/wayne-gretzky-luc-robitaille-brett-hull-signed-1992-all-star-program-psa1.html

• Options

There is a signed blade on ebay where he does loop the g. Its going for $599.99

• Options

Looks real to me.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 8:08PM

heres another one taken from an old times hockey game sold by the same site . both the program and the other photo are certified by PSA too

https://cdn.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-product-image/1-d9517987-11433683-.jpg.. both have the loopy letters in gretzky

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I certainty hope the auto is authentic. I am just observing that the auto is very north/south whereas I have mainly seen a right-leaning bias, which is normal for right-ganders. Best regards.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Great find if real. Send the pic in to PSA quick opinion. Hopefully you have a winner there.

• Options

do they charge for a quick opinion ?

• Options

i found one graded by PSA and it matches my signature..ill send them a pic anyways of mine

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2019 8:21PM

how do i fill it out if i own the item and its not from an auction house?

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 8:29PM

@slimies said:
    how do i fill it out if i own the item and its not from an auction house?

I've only used it for eBay items but would guess you select "other" in menu. If it doesn't work, you can always call customer service in the morning.

• Options

ill give that a try and see what they say .

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 8:52PM

i sent an email to PSA and they replied back with a page to their sales of gretzky and they are pretty sure mines authentic as it matches others they have graded and they sent me 4 pics that match mine exactly ..

they are going to look at my photo and let me know in 2-4 working days their findings. but they seem confident.

am loading scans of others psa graded as authentic

https://images.psacard.com/s3/cu-psa/autographfacts/1980-wayne-gretzky-signed-photo-1677.jpg?h=400
    https://images.psacard.com/s3/cu-psa/autographfacts/1999-wayne-gretzky-signature-1679.jpg?h=1000
    https://images.psacard.com/s3/cu-psa/autographfacts/1987-wayne-gretzky-personalized-photo-66545.jpg?h=1000

• Options

hopefully it will be good news. it matches the pic links i loaded from their sales list

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    i sent an email to PSA and they replied back with a page to their sales of gretzky and they are pretty sure mines authentic as it matches others they have graded and they sent me 4 pics that match mine exactly ..

they are going to look at my photo and let me know in 2-4 working days their findings. but they seem confident.

Wow! They actually replied back to you in less than half an hour with their opinion? That’s awsome!!! On a Monday night? Great service! Good Luck! I hope you do well!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Hey, congrats on the quick reply, and the great news! One heck of a find.

• Options

i was surprised at the quick reply myself. and thanks i hope i do well too.. its only the 4th signed stick ive ever found at value village.

• Options

best stick found was a 22 sig stick from a charity event sponsored by labatt beer and wise guys charity

https://www.deviantart.com/slimies/art/Hockey-Stick-693947963

• Options

Cool 22 sig stick. I love a good treasure find. You just never know what might turn up at a 2nd hand store. Great finds.

• Options

I know.. i find the best are the value villages here.. there are 2 of them in our city and i go on tuesday and friday.. those are the days the fresh stock come out onto the shelves here.

• Options

looks like ill be getting the confirmation on the gretzky within the next 24-36 hrs.. here's hoping

• Options

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It looks completely authentic to me.

• Options

@slimies said:

Great to hear. Good luck!

• Options
    edited May 7, 2019 7:27PM

response back ... "AUTHENTIC AUTO" :):) am so happy

• Options

I knew it. Congratulations. One heck of a find. 🖒The great one.

• Options

thankyou.. as soon as the email said Authentic i felt better

• Options

I love stories like this. Greatest hockey player of all time. Greatest goal scorer of all time. Value Village. Awesome story!😉

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I think this is a pre-print on the stick.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHockey said:
    I think this is a pre-print on the stick.

After this response, and looking more closely, I concur. Looks like the glossy coating is above the signature (especially noticeable at the peaks).

• Options
    edited May 8, 2019 7:39PM

i just noticed that myself.. i wonder why they didnt notice it when giving me their answer. it'll still look nice on my wall anyways

• Options
    edited May 9, 2019 1:59AM

You would think they would notice something like that. I don't buy many autos, so I didn't suspect anything. Don't feel bad, within the past two months, two rare Joe Louis boxing cards have slipped through my fingers. Freakin two! Both on Ebay Italy! Sometimes we just can't catch a break!

• Options

looks like it.. oh well maybe next time.. ill find one thats real

• Options

Discerning whether a signature is live ink from photos is the most difficult part, often impossible. Other parts of authentication are no more difficult remotely than in person.

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    response back ... "AUTHENTIC AUTO" :):) am so happy

Can you advise how you emailed it and to whom? I could not find an option like that on the PSA site.

• Options

i only see an option to submit an auction listing...how did you submit for a quick opinion if you already own the item?

• Options

@momo1234 - You list the item on ebay for 999.99, then quick opinion it.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

I looked at 3 sticks in my collection - Gretzky, Howe and Parent - and the fiberglass covered by the autograph on each stick still reflected/glistened similar to the rest of the fiberglass. All three are black sharpie. Because of the surface, it is not easy, at least for me, to notice the surface difference as opposed to looking at an autograph on card stock or photo paper.

I did do a quick search on-line for Gretzky stick blades. I could not find another photo of that blade with a facsimile signature on it. Easton may well have produced blades with a Gretzky facsimile, but the only ones I have seen are Coca-Cola promotional ones in red. Those also have the signature on the back of the blade and, while similar, are different from the photo presented by the OP.

This could be a case where an opportunity presented itself and the person who obtained the autograph grabbed the best thing they could find.

You'll never really know. If you're so inclined, your best bet would be to go to a show where PSA, JSA or Beckett is set-up to get their opinion.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the stick was well loved. If it was a facsimile autograph the wear pattern around the signature would be uninterrupted. If the blade was autographed after use then the black sharpie would interrupt wear patterns on the blade and to he fiberglass.

• Options

given the end result of the wayne gretzky stick...brings up another question...is quick opinion really worthwhile at all?

• Options

@momo1234 said:
    given the end result of the wayne gretzky stick...brings up another question...is quick opinion really worthwhile at all?

yes

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

My opinion is they can't absolutely 100% confirm authenticity this way, but they can certainly identify certain properties that would indicate a counterfeit. I think it also depends on the item and circumstances how accurate an opinion they can render.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

Here is a picture of my Gretzky autographed blade. The signature looks almost exactly the same. It is lower on the blade and I think there are small differences. On the other side of the blade there is a Charlie Huddy autograph.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    Picked this up tonight at my usual 2nd hand store ( value village ) was behind the glass showcase and scooped it up as there were others eyeing it too. The blade is signed by wayne gretzky .. its not mint and has lil wear but the sig is nice and clean.. ill try get a clearer photo soon of it. its not a whole stick just the blade but still nice.

Nice Score.

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

MrHockey would say both of these autographs are not real.

If he were here.