Home Sports Talk

Grouse about your Kentucky Derby picks here.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

;)

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait for Grote to chime in with his pick, and then bet your kidneys on it.

Grote hasn't missed picking a Derby winner since he was old enough to have $2 in his pocket. :)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever wins is only two races away from the triple crown.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Whoever wins is only two races away from the triple crown.

third leg has buried many great horses

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once bet a horse at 10 to one....Nag didn't come in until 2:30.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    I once bet a horse at 10 to one....Nag didn't come in until 2:30.

Well leave the lights on for him

Where's Grote with his pick?

My rent is two months past due, and some guy with a tow truck is standing outside waiting to repossess my 1995 Chevy if I don't come up with the payment.

Come on Grote, I need the winner.....

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Country House..by DQ. :wink:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I suspected some sort of chaotic results with 20 horses on a sloppy tack.

I bet it all on Maximum Security to win, even got a kidney loan from a body parts loan company. I am joyous right now beyond belief.

Just to show everyone in this forum my gratitude for bringing me good luck, as soon as I receive payment in my online gambling account for this race, i'm going to PayPal each of you a thousand dollars.

But for some odd reason, the money hasn't showed up yet in my account, but like I said, as soon as it does.....

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

Bet on the one that does his business right before the race starts! :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

SteveK, what did you think of that DQ? Country House, if anything, was the beneficiary of Maximum Security's lane shift but I can see why the stewards ruled the way they did. I feel bad for the poor jockey they had to race up to congratulate 3 seconds after the race was over only to watch him wind up losing afterwards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@stevek said:
    I bet it all on Maximum Security to win, even got a kidney loan from a body parts loan company. I am joyous right now beyond belief.

Just to show everyone in this forum my gratitude for bringing me good luck, as soon as I receive payment in my online gambling account for this race, i'm going to PayPal each of you a thousand dollars.

But for some odd reason, the money hasn't showed up yet in my account, but like I said, as soon as it does.....

Maybe you already withdrew your $2,500 for the month. :)

edited May 4, 2019 5:31PM

@stevek said:

Good post!

Read that one of the sites is refunding wagers made on Maximum Security.

Maybe you can send us each a hundy. ;)

@grote15 said:
    SteveK, what did you think of that DQ? Country House, if anything, was the beneficiary of Maximum Security's lane shift but I can see why the stewards ruled the way they did. I feel bad for the poor jockey they had to race up to congratulate 3 seconds after the race was over only to watch him wind up losing afterwards.

I agree with ya!

When i saw the race live, and then heard about the objection, i thought no way this horse is coming down. I didn't notice any problem as the race was run.

But about careful review of the replay from one of the camera angles, the jockey did carelessly allow Maximum Security to drift out and impede the 1 horse. Then the 1 horse bumped the 10 horse and the 10 horse could have went down, Frankly, it's short of miraculous that the 1 horse didn't clip heels with Maximum Security and go down.

The home turn, as I'm sure you know, is the most dangerous part of the racetrack. The horses are tired and then they have to veer and straighten out into the home stretch. When a jockey is completely clear of the other horses in that area, then he can allow a tired horse to drift out a bit without an infraction. However in that situation with horses close to him and closing, a jockey simply cannot allow his horse to drift.

The jockey clearly was negligent and there shouldn't be any big debate about the validity of the DQ.

edited May 4, 2019 5:15PM

Jock even said "my horse is green, and he went out a little, I straightened him back out.

There's your admission of guilt.

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

I agree with ya!

When i saw the race live, and then heard about the objection, i thought no way this horse is coming down. I didn't notice any problem as the race was run.

But about careful review of the replay from one of the camera angles, the jockey did carelessly allow Maximum Security to drift out and impede the 1 horse. Then the 1 horse bumped the 10 horse and the 10 horse could have went down, Frankly, it's short of miraculous that the 1 horse didn't clip heels with Maximum Security and go down.

The home turn, as I'm sure you know, is the most dangerous part of the racetrack. The horses are tired and then they have to veer and straighten out into the home stretch. When a jockey is completely clear of the other horses in that area, then he can allow a tired horse to drift out a bit without an infraction. However in that situation with horses close to him and closing, a jockey simply cannot allow his horse to drift.

The jockey clearly was negligent and there shouldn't be any big debate about the validity of the DQ.

Agreed. I think Luis knew there was a problem when he mentioned right after the race that the crowd noise also spooked Maximum Security.

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

Read that one of the sites is refunding wagers made on Maximum Mecurity.

<<< Read that one of the sites is refunding wagers made on Maximum Mecurity. >>>

Of course the odds of that are 0.

I feel sorry for the many gamblers. That horse was one of the favorites. Tough to lose like that. I know, i've been there. :/

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

<<< Read that one of the sites is refunding wagers made on Maximum Mecurity. >>>

I feel sorry for the many gamblers. That horse was one of the favorites. Tough to lose like that. I know, i've been there. :/

OTOH, a $1 trifecta bet now pays over 11K! Those gamblers must be elated lol..

edited May 4, 2019 5:31PM

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

I agree with ya!

Agreed. I think Luis knew there was a problem when he mentioned right after the race that the crowd noise also spooked Maximum Security.

He might be trying to avoid a suspension by making an excuse. Won't work. I suspect he will probably get around a 10 or 15 day suspension.

But he seems like a good kid. He'll be back to ride more Kentucky Derbys. And of course if the horse comes out of the race fit, he'll be on the horse again in the Preakness, unless the suspension time prevents him from doing so.

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

You know what a "stooper" is at the race track. It's those people who stoop and look everywhere for discarded tote tickets hoping to find a winning ticket that was accidentally thrown away.

There was likely some winning tickets thrown away on the ground or in the trash can when those bettors saw Maximum Security win and they didn't have that horse on any of their wagers.

I'm sure the stoopers were working overtime after that race. LOL

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

You know what a "stooper" is at the race track. It's those people who stoop and look everywhere for discarded tote tickets hoping to find a winning ticket that was accidentally thrown away.

There was likely some winning tickets thrown away on the ground or in the trash can when those bettors saw Maximum Security win and they didn't have that horse on any of their wagers.

I bet (no pun intended), LOL!

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

I wore out the soles of my shoe flipping those darn tickets.

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

I bet (no pun intended), LOL!

The track announcer always says after each race, "Hold all tickets until the result is official." But most gamblers rarely do that.

Gamblers get hissed after losing and want to get rid of the ticket ASAP if not immediately. So there could be a gold mine there for stoopers and I'm not joking. A perfect scenario here whereby bettors tossed their tickets which they thought were losers, and exited the race track after the big race to try to beat some of the traffic.

They aren't going to go back and look for the thrown away ticket because they know either a stooper already picked it up, or the track floor sweeper already has it swept up with the other trash and it's buried in a trash can somewhere.

Some gamblers punch out so many tickets with exactas, tris, supers, etc, they may even forget all the horses they played, but they do remember the favorites who they left out of their tickets. I'm tellin' ya, with that favorite going from winning the race and then being DQ'd out of the money, it will be stoopers paradise. :)

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

I wish I was kidding, but many years ago I once had $50 to win on a 4 to 1 horse at Santa Anita. My horse clearly finished second, the winner clearly didn't impede any other horse, i threw away the ticket on the floor, and sat down and it's on to handicap the next race with the racing form. With simulcasting, there can be hundreds of races a day, so there's no time to dwell on a loss.

There are many dozens of TV sets all over the track, and I'm not even immediately paying attention to the TV set broadcasting Santa Anita. But after a few minutes I just glance up and see that they are reviewing the race. Turns out the winner bumped some horse coming out of the starting gate and they took the winner down and placed my horse on top, a nice $250 ticket. Problem was I threw the ticket away. Of course I jumped up and looked for it in the spot where I tossed it, but it was nowhere to be found. :#

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

Good post!

I wish I was kidding, but many years ago I once had $50 to win on a 4 to 1 horse at Santa Anita. My horse clearly finished second, the winner clearly didn't impede any other horse, i threw away the ticket on the floor, and sat down and it's on to handicap the next race with the racing form. With simulcasting, there can be hundreds of races a day, so there's no time to dwell on a loss.

There are many dozens of TV sets all over the track, and I'm not even immediately paying attention to the TV set broadcasting Santa Anita. But after a few minutes I just glance up and see that they are reviewing the race. Turns out the winner bumped some horse coming out of the starting gate and they took the winner down and placed my horse on top, a nice $250 ticket. Problem was I threw the ticket away. Of course I jumped up and looked for it in the spot where I tossed it, but it was nowhere to be found. :#

SteveK, I bet you could write a book about stories at the track.

There were always plenty of books at the track.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purina dog chow before they put it in the can , thats what horses are

@Coinstartled said:

How to make a million dollars at the track?

Start with two million. LOL

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Mickey Rooney once said that he went to Del Mar and lost twenty bucks. He spent the next 40 years and 2 million dollars trying to win it back.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Mickey Rooney once said that he went to Del Mar and lost twenty bucks. He spent the next 40 years and 2 million dollars trying to win it back.

That must be what stunted his growth! :o

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

That must be what stunted his growth! :o

he started smoking when he was 5 , that might have done it