Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Coin cards

Does anyone see these Authentic Ink coin cards that are for sale on Ebay? My question is, are they legitimate cards or custom cards or what?

Comments

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea but they are cool looking. I have come across them previously while searching Nickel listings.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 10:29AM

Have never seen these.

Interestingly, REA had a 2008 auction of these: LINK

After a quick search - I'm at the bookstore and can look more later - I believe these are "Broder-like?"

I doubt if they were licensed?

I kind of like the looks and the idea if licensed by MLB e.g.

Mike
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 10:59AM

Yes, they are quite cool looking. I have seen them in football, boxing, baseball, and other sports as well.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

They are, in my opinion, fancier custom cards. They have also sold puzzle cards, cards with & w/o the coins and proofs marked 1/1. I have quite a few unlicensed/collector issued Garvey cards in my collection and I buy that sort of thing with the idea that I enjoy the product, not that it will hold or gain any value long term. There are a variety of this type of card, maybe ACEO is a better term now days, as broders were originally just an unlicensed and cheaply presented mass produced cards and these card be small works of art. Although I think ACEO is supposed to describe actual drawings on cards, not prints or copies.

Mixed in with the really nice stuff, like Banty Red & Helmar, are the run of the mill, junk customs that many sellers are pumping out in mass quantities and some stuff in between. One seller in particular sells what would actually be fairly neat 1/1 custom cards, but the auction photos and the end products are worlds apart. The images are nice and colorful. The end product looks like it came out of a home printer with low ink cartridges!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Yes, I just got a chance last night to look at those Banty Red cards. I must say I am very impressed with their quality. I can definitely see myself buying some in the future.

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2019 11:28AM

While cool looking, the coins are the only thing that hold any real value here.

But it is a great cross-hobby scheme. Maybe it will draw a coin collector into cards. Or maybe it will draw a card collector into coins. Either way, it helps promote both hobbies. So kinda good there.

• Options

I love the parallel between hobbies. I compete in Pcgs registry for nickels and recently scooped up these awesome cards

• Options

Money!

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Hard to determine value to some player collections. I've determined that these four of mine are at minimum worth 41 cents:smiley:
    image image image image

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options

All of these cards posted are very cool. I am going to have to look into adding some coin cards to my collection.

• Options

@jlvette50 said:
    Hard to determine value to some player collections. I've determined that these four of mine are at minimum worth 41 cents:smiley:
    image image image image

Trying to figure out the association of this card? It’s got a black history stamp, 1985, Evan Longoria and multiple denominations of us coins. Are the coins themselves circa 1985? Help me put it all together.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2019 10:56AM

If you come across any MLB nickel cards, less than $50, please let me know, as I want more of them, but not at absurd prices ;)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Presumable those stamps could be used and have another $0.88 of value too!

@jlvette50 said:
    image image image image

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@Walt_Altmen said:

Trying to figure out the association of this card? It’s got a black history stamp, 1985, Evan Longoria and multiple denominations of us coins. Are the coins themselves circa 1985? Help me put it all together.

Longo's birth year 1985, coins all from 1985. Stamp was issued in 1985 as well.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    Presumable those stamps could be used and have another $0.88 of value too!

Ahh!! Nice, I missed that. These are rapidly moving up the list of my most valuable Longo cards!!

• Options

Added another Longo Coin card!! That brings my collection to an indisputable value of at least $1.30.

image image

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Least you landed an older coin. 1898 I believe. Hard to make out.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I have a Jim Brown one with a 1957 penny. Card is blank backed. Just a novelty to me...

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you meant the N72 Coins of All Nations Duke tobacco cards:

Not actual coins, just a drawing of them.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2