Home Q & A Forum
Options

2019 W PCGS MS RD 70 Uncirculated Lincoln Cent Coin# 3

Does any body have any knowledge to how rare the upcoming release of the 2019 W Uncirculated Lincoln cent (coin#3) will be in
PCGS MSRD 70? I have some people say you will be lucky to see a MSRD 69 or 70. How do they know this if the coins haven't even been released?
Thank for your insight....

Joseph G Frevele

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 12:44PM

@joefrev said:
    Does any body have any knowledge to how rare the upcoming release of the 2019 W Uncirculated Lincoln cent (coin#3) will be in
    PCGS MSRD 70? I have some people say you will be lucky to see a MSRD 69 or 70.
    Thank for your insight....

Welcome to the forum @joefrev.

You answered your own question.

“How do they know this if the coins haven't even been released?”

Exactly.

But, based upon historical population reports this forum’s host has not graded a shield (Type 6) cent MS70, yet. A few have been graded MS69. (Look at the pop report link below and scroll until you get to the Type 6 - Shield cents.)

The likelihood for a MS69/70 is slim, but, these cents are from the West Point Mint so it’s all a guess until the unc W cents start getting graded.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/lincoln-cent-modern-1959-date/47

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins (the ones I've seen so far) do not appear to be struck as 70's. While not all banged up, the obverse suffers from two detracting surface "patches" on both sides of Lincoln's head, A few even have a group of short tiny scratches. Sixty-nine is the highest for me so far. The reverses of most are 69 + or ever 70!

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 6:36AM

There are no circulation-strike coins of any type or date that are currently graded PCGS MS70.

Edit: Never mind, I didn't realize that these weren't circulation strikes.