Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Canadian nickels

My last bank heist included a roll of old Canadian nickels. One of them I know is a 1947 dot in at least ef-40 condition. However I have 3 1953s as well. Two of them have the flared I in DEI and one straight I .They are all at least vf-40 Need to know if they are valuable

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 7:58AM

Based on your posted pictures, I have a hard time seeing any EF grades.
    your 1953 is a Far leaf- No Shoulder Fold (NSF-FL) = worth 5 cents
    the beaver appears to have lost most of his pelt through wear.
    You said you had more than 1???

1947 appears to be a 1947 dot.Subject to verification with better images of the whole coin.
    however not better than a VG10, based on your image posted.
    again, where is the pelt? I guess the plastic 2x2 lid took it?

do you Know that coins like to be treated like Ladies. Their properties show much better when their picture is **NOT taken through plastic (2x2) **
    they have 2 sides and and their details can be easier appreciated when pictures are clear and sharp. ;)
    In short, please take the pictures 90 degrees from the top, NO flash, preferably in Day light,
    make sure that the coin is the center and sharp. and, use high definition so images can be cropped without loosing details.
    please see the included image so you can identify your 1953 nickels.( Courtesy of Charlton publishing)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Wow !!!!! Now that is an informative answer. I really appreciate it. I can't thank you enough... I am going through 51 canadians now 1940- 1959 and could use the same info as above (image). Is there a site I can go to to get the same info. I have found sites with limited info, not the images of far leaf and flared I as above?

• sylsyl Posts: 890 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 1:39PM

Try this site .. lots of varieties noted and pictured. Just click on what you have. Prices are full retail, but the main Coinsandcanada site has lists of actual Ebay/auction prices realized:
    http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

And here are 2 grading helpers:
    http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-grading.php

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/12_grading_canadian_coins-ver2.html

thanks a lot

• donjaludonjalu Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

please see the included image so you can identify your 1953 nickels.( Courtesy of Charlton publishing)

Do you have the Charlton publishing for the 1965 Canadian nickel? I have a unc roll of the them. The first two off the top are different looking. Apologize for the poor lighting. Missing Bead above numeral II; Possible double die on lower part of "B" in Elisabeth (second photo). Beaver extra claw? What else should I be looking for? 1965 SB ? Thanks

your asking wrong person. start a new discussiont

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! You grade that 47 VG10 from that picture? Without seeing the Obv. I would say it grades at least XF. Even though it's not the best picture there is plenty of detail and luster is apparent!

@YQQ said:
    Based on your posted pictures, I have a hard time seeing any EF grades.
    your 1953 is a Far leaf- No Shoulder Fold (NSF-FL) = worth 5 cents
    the beaver appears to have lost most of his pelt through wear.
    You said you had more than 1???

1947 appears to be a 1947 dot.Subject to verification with better images of the whole coin.
    however not better than a VG10, based on your image posted.
    again, where is the pelt? I guess the plastic 2x2 lid took it?

do you Know that coins like to be treated like Ladies. Their properties show much better when their picture is **NOT taken through plastic (2x2) **
    they have 2 sides and and their details can be easier appreciated when pictures are clear and sharp. ;)
    In short, please take the pictures 90 degrees from the top, NO flash, preferably in Day light,
    make sure that the coin is the center and sharp. and, use high definition so images can be cropped without loosing details.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 8:00AM

No disrespect, but it appears that we are all over the map with replies. The only reply I made was the large drawing of the 1953 Varieties.
    However, unless a better and sharp image is posted of the 1947 nickel, it is not a 1947 dot.
    why Not?
    because all 1947 5 cent with a dot after the 7 also have a dot to the left of the D in Canada, about 1/3 down. see image. Grade on the 1947??? going by the images posted and until better ones are posted: not better than VF.
    below is a certified DOT, ICCS AU 55. I was hoping to get a MS out of it. But was told NO.
    However, the dots by itself can lead to "dot speculation", as there is another Dot right under the N in cents.????
    Your 1965 appears that it is a very regular Small beads 1965 nickel.....IMO.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life