Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1953 canadian nickel

Can anyone tell me if this is a no shoulder near maple leaf or a shoulder fold f

ar maple leaf. Or neither

A world without coins "Chaos"

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak

I’m sure someone will answer it in the US coin forum, but there is a World and Ancient forum: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like no shoulder fold, but the image is blurry. And given that the coin is rusty, it doesn't make much difference.

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

you guys always speak in code... I am a newbee. Are they valuable yes or no...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak said:

NO. It is not valuable. It is rusty.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak said:

I don't see any replies in code. @jmlanzaf provided you with the info you were looking for and is spot on. You never stated in your original post that you were also looking for value. Your last post is also rather terse.

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Personally, that one would go directly into the countertop kid's scrounge box.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

sorry

• Options

@rmuniak said:
    sorry

No sweat.

A coupl;e of things to remember:

1. Be clear about what information you are looking for
    2. Be patient, because most everyone on the forums works for a living so you may not get your answer right away
    3. Participate. Everyone brings something to the forum. You probably have knowledge we may need
    4. Most impotant thing is to enjoy yourself here

Cheers

Bob

• Options

Thanks . I was about to write you off as a curmudgeon. I appreciate your candor and advice.

• Options

Meh...I've been called worse.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak

Info on the 5 cent piece and value:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces405.html

As mentioned by @jmlanzaf the rust does no favors.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Look at the letter "I" in the word "DEI" obverse- if the ends of the "I" are flared -its a no shoulder variety. If the "I" is straight sided it has a shoulder fold (strap like line over queen's shoulder). Yours is the no shoulder fold variety.

• Options

You guys have been very helpful.. Much appreciated....Ray

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is the no shoulder fold variety, the shoulder fold looks very much like a bra strap (of course, this description is not socially correct).

There is another variety for this date. Near and far maple leaf on the reverse to the left of the 5. The example pictured looks like the "far" type.

There were a few strikes where the no shoulder fold was struck with a near maple leaf. This variety is over $1000 in low grades.
    The other variety is the shoulder fold with a far maple leaf. This one starts at $500 in low grades.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file