Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Replacement sleeve for incorrect packaging Apollo Kennedy and commemorative set

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any luck getting a corrected sleeve for the Apollo Kennedy and commemorative half set WITHOUT having to either send in the original for replacement or buy a brand new set with the correct information?

I just called and the representative said those were my only options. 👎

If this has already been discussed I apologize.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla

The Mint’s website has them as unavailable so the option to get a new set is moot:
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-proof-half-dollar-set-19CF.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

The last weekly sales is 99,854 (mintage is 100,000)

19CF
    2019 APOLLO 11 HALF DOLLAR SPECIAL SET
    04/21/2019

Which leads me to believe if you send a set in for a corrected sleeve you probably will not get a replacement but a refund.

I do not think the PFSWeb CS rep knows anything except whatever is in their CS playbook.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just part of the mint's plan to create interest in coin collecting by creating rarities. 70% of the sets have the error.

This is opposed to the old fashioned method of just making mistakes. Or a great cover story. Honest Teacher, I didn't intentionally misquote my sources, I'm just making rarities for you to find...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I was going through the TV Channels last week, and saw one of the coin shows where they were offering the corrected sleeves as an add on to the order. So somehow that coin show got some corrected sleeves...

• Options

@DotStore said:
    I was going through the TV Channels last week, and saw one of the coin shows where they were offering the corrected sleeves as an add on to the order. So somehow that coin show got some corrected sleeves...

Was it actually corrected or a sticker to place over the error?

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 5:52AM

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:

When I was changing channels I just caught the sales pitch to include BOTH versions for an additional $30 -- but I never saw the corrected version (I changed the channel and watched the ending of the Original Rocky instead LOL)

• Options

“Yo Adrian”

I wouldn’t mind a corrected sleeve but $30 for a piece of cardboard. ;)

Maybe the daytime crew at PFSWeb knows a bit more than the night crew.

1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)
    7 days a week,
    8am to midnight, ET

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had understood that the Mint would replace them at some point later in the year. I guess not....

• Options

Good advice @Hemispherical I called and spoke to someone different today; she said a replacement sleeve is on order for me, no charge.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must have missed it, what was incorrect?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 7:50PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    I must have missed it, what was incorrect?

The name of the designer of the reverse of the Kennedy is incorrect.

Edit to add: Look at the last line in the white rectangle on the back of the sleeve.

Those who ordered the KennedyApollo set(s) with the typo error will be able to get a corrected sleeve with a phone call and providing the initial order number when the set(s) were ordered.

Articles about the error soon after the Apollo coins were released:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/01/apollo-11-half-dollar-set-packaging-contains-mistake.all.html

http://www.coinnews.net/2019/01/29/apollo-11-half-dollar-set-packaging-contains-clerical-error/

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint error. Worth more.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

The "error" will be having the correct packaging.

• Options

@mt_msla said:
    The "error" will be having the correct packaging.

It’s funny, but I suspect that is going to be true.

How many know about it, how many remembered to get the fix, and how many really cares?

Let’s see how many appears in the bay... :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:

I received my replacement sleeves today. It's not a sticker - they actually corrected it...

• Options

@DotStore how long did you have to wait once you ordered it?

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Just looked at my set, my sleeve is the error sleeve, kinda cool actually having a real mint error that was not "snuck out" of the mint...hehe

• Options

@mt_msla said:

I called on April 15th and they showed up yesterday. Someone else I know called on April 22 and he also got his yesterday.

They did not package them well. In a big yellow envelope and 2 of my 5 sleeves are corner damaged.

• Options

@DotStore said:

@mt_msla said:

I called on April 15th and they showed up yesterday. Someone else I know called on April 22 and he also got his yesterday.

They did not package them well. In a big yellow envelope and 2 of my 5 sleeves are corner damaged.

Finally got around to calling. Must have gotten a newbie CS she kept mentioned she had to look at her notes and her notes said she needed to do this and that.

I found it to be quite interesting and proceeded to ask why for certain steps. She tried to explain but she wasn’t sure because she didn’t have notes on my questions.

Maybe I should not have side-tracked her. ;)

I will know if everything was done correctly if I get something in the mail. Or not. :|

• Options

Guess I'll call back. So far, nada.

• Options

@mt_msla said:
    Guess I'll call back. So far, nada.

Same here.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Called Customer Service and coached the rep on getting the replacement. It's on the way.

• Options
    Quake17Quake17 Posts: 30 ✭✭

I just received mine (6) today. I did it via the Chat function and had to provide my two order numbers to verify I was the original purchaser. They are definitely reprinted, not just a sticker over the error. No cost to me and it took about two weeks.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Called Customer Service and coached the rep on getting the replacement. It's on the way

I must be talking to the wrong people at CS, they are sending me a 'form' to fill out.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ECHOES said:

@Kudbegud said:
    Called Customer Service and coached the rep on getting the replacement. It's on the way

I must be talking to the wrong people at CS, they are sending me a 'form' to fill out.

IMO

The CS nightshift is very lacking (CS hours are 8am to midnight eastern time) I’ve found if they are called past 3pm eastern then nothing happens (all talk). Dayshift is getting ready to go home and nightshift is getting ready to go to sleep work.

It’s best to call when the dayshift is fresh.

My 2c zircoin opinion.

• Options
    eddie1943eddie1943 Posts: 36 ✭✭

I ordered three Walking Liberty Gold coins 100 year anniversary a few years back from the US Mint. When they came one was missing a COA. I called the mint and was told I had to return the shipment to get a COA. There was no way I was going to risk my coins (again) to get a little piece of paper. I bought a COA from a person selling the empty box and COA etc. on e-bay for $2.95 . Man...dealing with the Government. Not for wimps. Have not ordered from US Mint since.

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

• Options

@ECHOES said:

@Kudbegud said:

@Hemispherical said:

@ECHOES said:

@Kudbegud said:

IMO

The CS nightshift is very lacking (CS hours are 8am to midnight eastern time) I’ve found if they are called past 3pm eastern then nothing happens (all talk). Dayshift is getting ready to go home and nightshift is getting ready to go to sleep work.

It’s best to call when the dayshift is fresh.

My 2c zircoin opinion.

I called just before 1 pm EDT. My agent said something about a form and my info. I reminded her that I had just given her all my info, including blood type (not haha), to verify I actually ordered the 2 coin set. She said let me go back to that info. Then she filled out "the form" and said my replacement would be on the way.

BTW!, she did put me on hold while checking with some one on how to handle the replacement. Came back off hold and said "I learned something new".

• Options

Opened a chat as suggested above. Said one was on the way. I asked for an order # and was told it didn't exist. Asked how I was going to have proof that one was actually being sent since this was my third time requesting one. Was told it's been escalated, they talked to a supervisor, and a note was in my account. That I could check tomorrow. So I probably will.

Long story short it kinda felt like a shine-on. They left the chat real quick too. They closed it not me.

• Options

This just out in "Coin Update"

Mint providing replacement sleeve for 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof Half Dollar Set

Details in the article:
    news.coinupdate.com/mint-providing-replacement-sleeve-for-2019-apollo-11-50th-anniversary-proof-half-dollar-set/

Note: Customers do not have to return the entire set to receive the replacement sleeve, but must have placed an order for the actual set with the Mint. This is a special circumstance and the Mint is making an exception and not requiring customers to return the entire product for replacement.

(Don't you think it's the least they could do for any customer that wanted a corrected replacement? And...leave out the circus hoop jumping as a lot of you have reported. It was their mistake, not yours, the customer. A more conciliatory tone would convey an apologetic attitude expected from those who made the mistake.)

• Options

Sleeve loss in the mail.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 4:38AM

@Hemispherical really? geez haven't received mine yet and didn't check back - now I'll call again thank you @Kudbegud

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 7:23AM

@mt_msla said:
    @Hemispherical really? geez haven't received mine yet and didn't check back - now I'll call again thank you @Kudbegud

A FX tracking number from the Mint a few weeks ago still pending delivery. Still not delivered. I’ll be making another call too.

Edit.

Made the call. She saw notes in the system but was unable to tell if the “form” was filled out. So she said she’ll do the “form” and send it in.

She also read me the policy, rather the exception to policy, that they have from the Mint stating that the set does not have to be returned to get the corrected sleeve. Told her that was a very good thing! Waiting.

Still do not know what was sent to me and is lost. She did not have anything in the system for the shipped date or tracking number. So this loss is no loss to me.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

yesterday I received a large brown envelope from the us mint w/replacement sleeves for.
    plain envelope, no tracking label/number no email notification I did not make personal request.

(l8-)>>

• Options

@edgar said:
    yesterday I received a large brown envelope from the us mint w/replacement sleeves for.
    plain envelope, no tracking label/number no email notification I did not make personal request.

Thanks for the info @edgar.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 11:02AM

Ordered mine last week, during the day. Had to be put on hold while he figured it out but it is ordered.

My guess is that THEY need to fill out the form, not the customer.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I need to make that call and request my sleeves. Thank you for the updated information! :)

• Options

Made the second call this AM. Waiting, again.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2019 5:49PM

correction from Department of the Treasury

(l8-)>>

• Options

Phooey, no 'form in mail' nada, squat. Just PO'd now.
    Guess I will try again...

• Options

I guess I'll keep the letter when mine comes. It will be a topic for a thread a couple decades from now. "Remember when they sent out those replacement sleeves...."

The letter mentions a return label- do they want/expect the old one back? They can call my 800# and fill out a form to get it back. >:)

• Options

Well, two replacement sleeve mailed out on the 29th.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 5:16PM

Yea Buddy!

• Options

@ECHOES said:

How’d you find out when it was mailed? Still waiting.

• Options

Arrived today

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I received 9 replacement sleeves Friday.

• Options

Got my sleeve today, but the pre-paid return label that was mentioned in the letter was missing. Should I call back for one for those? ;)

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@ECHOES said:

I called (3rd time) to inquire about the replacement sleeve and the 'Form' that was to be sent to me. The young lady I spoke to then told me they had been mailed on the 29th.
    So, the form was apparently filled out by the CS rep I spoke to the second time...
    In any event I'm happy that this 'event' is over...

• Options

@ECHOES said:

@Hemispherical said:

@ECHOES said:

I called (3rd time) to inquire about the replacement sleeve and the 'Form' that was to be sent to me. The young lady I spoke to then told me they had been mailed on the 29th.
    So, the form was apparently filled out by the CS rep I spoke to the second time...
    In any event I'm happy that this 'event' is over...

Thanks for the info. I am happy your done with this “event.” I’m still in the midst of it... waiting. Maybe I need to make a third call. I’ll give it another few days/week.

• Options

Mine showed up today.

• Options

Just noticed that there is more than one name change on the new sleeve.

• Options

@mt_msla said:
    Just noticed that there is more than one name change on the new sleeve.

Good eye!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file