Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does a bad feedback description generate a Positive feedback result?

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was bound to happen...my first non-paying ebay member. It has been over 10 calendar days; numerous invoices and submitted an unpaid item claim with ebay. After reviewing his feedback; 13 positives, there are a couple of negative comments about nonpayment, but are POSITIVE??? Grievance proved to be in favor of the "buyer"? The "buyer" won from the same seller even after being left disparaging remarks about non-payment two out of three times.

A CHRONIC LIAR AND NONPAYER,EBAY PLEASE REMOVE HIM FROM YOUR SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!
Seller: Member id XXXXXXXX ( Feedback Score Of 2048 )
During past month
-- --
Great communication. A pleasure to do business with.
Seller: Member id YYYYYYY ( Feedback Score Of 704 )
During past 6 months
-- --
info

Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.

Thank you for a flawless and easy transaction. You are always welcome here
Seller: Member id ZZZZZZ ( Feedback Score Of 9019 ) During past 6 months
-- -- Private

terrible, 2nd time non payer. block this person
Seller: Member id AAAAAAAA ( Feedback Score Of 3490 )
During past 6 months
-- --
Best Offer Price was Accepted

Fast payment, great customer, highly recommend. Thanks!
Seller: Member id BBBBBBB ( Feedback Score Of 649 ) During past 6 months
-- --

Recommended ebay user! A+ all around!
During past 6 months
-- --

Waste of time...never paid. Bad for ebay
During past 6 months
-- --

2nd time guy doesn't pay. Bad buyer
Seller: Member id SSSSSSSS ( Feedback Score Of 797 )
During past 6 months
-- --

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it is impossible to leave a buyer a negative, so this is what sellers do to try to warn other sellers, hoping you will still see it. The thing is, if this guy calls ebay and complains, these will be removed. Sellers are not allowed to do it (which is stupid!).

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand this. Why would a seller abuse the system by leaving false negative feedback for a buyer?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    I don't understand this. Why would a seller abuse the system by leaving false negative feedback for a buyer?

it's not a false negative, it's a "negative" positive in the hopes that other sellers will see it and block the buyer.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

My question is why ebay prevents sellers from leaving a true negative for a buyer. What motivation would a seller have to abuse the ability to leave a true negative? What problem did ebay think they were solving?

• Options

@kbbpll said:
    My question is why ebay prevents sellers from leaving a true negative for a buyer. What motivation would a seller have to abuse the ability to leave a true negative? What problem did ebay think they were solving?

You have to ask eBay that one, I don't get it either. They have a tendency to "fix" things that aren't broken. Sellers pay all the fees, sellers take all the risk with eBay's SNAD policy, yet sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback for buyers.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since sellers can't leave negative feedback, they leave their negative comments as a positive feedback.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

It struck me as odd when Ebay changed how they manage feedback to maximize the number of people who have a top rating (seemingly regardless of negative feedback). I don't pay attention to that anymore, I will review their feedback history including the comments.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is unfortunate is that while the "buyer" has this item in limbo, waiting on a payment, another potential buyer is not aware that anything is going wrong or may be wondering "what is wrong with this item" now that it is relisted after apparently being "purchased" beforehand.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I hadn't thought of the feedback hostage situation. People are strange.
    I have noticed that as a buyer I am not allowed to leave negative feedback until 7 days after the purchase (or something). I don't know when/if that changed. I hadn't bought anything there in years.
    It's the same with any online review stuff. You have to read it, and read between the lines.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

In the bad old days of eBay, feedback was totally worthless. Bad sellers would use what was commonly called "feedback extortion" where bad sellers would not leave any feedback until they saw the feedback they got from buyers. If a bad seller got a well deserved negative, they would retaliate by giving the buyer a negative even though he paid quickly and didn't deserve a negative. It got to the point that buyers were afraid to give a negative to the bad sellers even if it was well deserved. eBay didn't really have a choice. Agree that some buyers give undeserved negatives but most buyers want to treat good sellers fairly so they don't get blocked from bidding on their future auctions.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m mostly ignoring eBay as a buyer and seller these days. Any fun I had has been negated by the stupidity of their many policy changes. I don’t have time for drama and got tired of people returning things two weeks after renting them for free.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's terrible news, policy's should reflect true business transactions !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay can fix this problem. Allow both buyers and sellers to leave negatives. To prevent "feedback extortion" by the bad sellers, require feedback to be left within 10 days or some other fixed period of time after the completion of the transaction. The feedback would be kept hidden until both the buyer and seller left feedback or until the 10 day period is reached after which no one can leave feedback if they haven't already done so. This would put the seller on equal footing with the buyer yet prevent "feedback extortion" on the part of the bad sellers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    eBay can fix this problem. Allow both buyers and sellers to leave negatives. To prevent "feedback extortion" by the bad sellers, require feedback to be left within 10 days or some other fixed period of time after the completion of the transaction. The feedback would be kept hidden until both the buyer and seller left feedback or until the 10 day period is reached after which no one can leave feedback if they haven't already done so. This would put the seller on equal footing with the buyer yet prevent "feedback extortion" on the part of the bad sellers.

You've described the Airbnb approach: the renter doesn't see the owner's feedback until they've placed their own. And vice versa.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

The one thing that sucks about Airbnb feedback is that the renter review window is way too short - 14 days. Who stops to write a review when they're on a 3-4 week vacation? That would seem to weight it towards bad experiences. Otherwise what @Aotearoa describes sounds like a good solution.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole thing was a tempest in a teapot to begin with. Buyers on eBay have the ability to read the feedback a seller has sent as well as what he's received, making it a trivial matter to identify sellers who left retaliatory negs should buyers have been willing to invest a few seconds to check things out before bidding.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s called creative feedback.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@kbbpll said:
    The one thing that sucks about Airbnb feedback is that the renter review window is way too short - 14 days. Who stops to write a review when they're on a 3-4 week vacation? That would seem to weight it towards bad experiences. Otherwise what @Aotearoa describes sounds like a good solution.

Who gets to go on a 3-4 week vacation? :) The longest I can get my wife to stay away from home is about 16 days. In 1972 I took a one year leave of absence from my job, bought a motor home and toured Mexico, Canada and the US with our daughter who was four at the time. I have to twist my wifes arm to get her to go away for over a week since then.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file