Home U.S. Coin Forum

As a seller, what do you do when a TPG undergrades or Overgrades your coin This is what I do

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2019 6:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have had better success with undergraded coins than I have over graded coins!
Well! I tried to make the ebay link work on the coin I sold but can't! You will have to click on see original item to see mine. The coin ebay is advertising is a great comparison to my undergraded coin!

https://ebay.com/itm/1907-O-Barber-Half-Dollar-PCGS-F15-I-Grade-VF20/303127777884?hash=item4693d2d25c:g:cQgAAOSwvwRcQlLv

https://ebay.com/itm/293040641694

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that technically a violation of eBay policy?

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

????????

@jmlanzaf said:

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    ????????

@jmlanzaf said:

You are not supposed to put a numerical grade on a coin yourself

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 6:55PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:
    ????????

@jmlanzaf said:

That was quick, it’s ended. :)

LOL! Maybe so...let em bust me if they want to! I will say this is the 1st time I used a number...usually it's a F 15 that I just say I grade VF without a number. 20 is the lowest VF grade. I'm well on my way to selling 20 coins this way and it is a shame. :/

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:
    ????????

@jmlanzaf said:

• csdotcsdot Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭

There is one ebay dealer who does this for all of his coins. His listings all say "We don't always agree with the TPG companies." He prices his coins as if they are two grades higher. So if the TPG gives the coin a grade of MS-65, he will list is with a MS-67 BIN price. The best are the details coins that he lists for tens of thousands of dollars.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@csdot said:
    There is one ebay dealer who does this for all of his coins. His listings all say "We don't always agree with the TPG companies." He prices his coins as if they are two grades higher. So if the TPG gives the coin a grade of MS-65, he will list is with a MS-67 BIN price. The best are the details coins that he lists for tens of thousands of dollars.

I know of at least one East Coast dealer that does that...and keeps them overpriced for decades

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:

@csdot said:

I know of at least one East Coast dealer that does that...and keeps them overpriced for decades

Is that the one that also had a few so called "matte proofs" in regular holders and a polished details coin listed as a special presentation piece? :D

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I have had better success with undergraded coins than I have over graded coins!
    Well! I tried to make the ebay link work on the coin I sold but can't! You will have to click on see original item to see mine. The coin ebay is advertising is a great comparison to my undergraded coin!

https://ebay.com/itm/1907-O-Barber-Half-Dollar-PCGS-F15-I-Grade-VF20/303127777884?hash=item4693d2d25c:g:cQgAAOSwvwRcQlLv

https://ebay.com/itm/293040641694

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

"LIBERTY ... is weak, especially at ER, but is fully readable". Looks like textbook F15 to me.

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

DJFcoins would do the same. Wasn’t a big fan of his other tactics either.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@Barndog said:

@csdot said:

Is that the one that also had a few so called "matte proofs" in regular holders and a polished details coin listed as a special presentation piece? :D

Ah a 21st century Walter Breen... (comments geared towards numismatics and not personal lives)

You should browse around and look at a few graded Barber Half's. Did you look at the VF I'm selling as a F? You can't just focus on Liberty and 9 times out of 10 Liberty is not complete until VF25...especially on New Orleans coins.

@kbbpll said:
    "LIBERTY ... is weak, especially at ER, but is fully readable". Looks like textbook F15 to me.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I REALLY believe it is undergraded, I would just say it is "PQ" or "nice for the grade". However, I use the "PQ" term very sparingly, unlike certain dealers who hype 2/3's of their coins as "PQ".

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC it!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    You should browse around and look at a few graded Barber Half's. Did you look at the VF I'm selling as a F? You can't just focus on Liberty and 9 times out of 10 Liberty is not complete until VF25...especially on New Orleans coins.

@kbbpll said:

Wow, you have a crapload of nice Barber Halves for sale! I did find your 92-O graded as PCGS VF which I agree looks F+. Even then I might describe it as low end for the grade, but that might be a stretch. That being said, overall I like your listings - they have good photos and accurate (albeit brief) descriptions. Even with 30 day free returns I suspect you do not have many returns.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 7:25AM

I go with the TPG grade on the Holder. They are the pros / experts. It’s time to move on or else repeat the process. Sometimes coins upgrade other times they may downgrade. Cost is adjusted to CDN bid for the new grade, any difference is booked to an Opex acct called reval.

I had recently cracked out, submitted 2 rattlers one upgraded 2 points the other remained the same. I felt they both had potential upgrade one point but delighted when other one went up 2. I then spent time studying the coins arrive at why the grades. I also compared them with similar items in inventory same grade see where they fell in comparison to those. I have 2 more I cracked to submit PCGS one ICG to cross the other from NGC damaged Holder (not NGC submitter). I don’t expect either to upgrade. While I have an ANA grading seminar under my belt I took years ago I don’t claim to be par with the pros or anywhere close. I think as sub hobby I may crack and submit more. Got rattlers?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@kbbpll said:

What I "should" do is form my own opinion about the grade and value of a coin, and I did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file