Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Non Sports Cards Future?

PWCC seems to be auctioning a lot more non sports cards. Some are going for some pretty high prices. I’ve seen some articles that there is interest in popular TV shows/bands cards from the 1950-70’s, people collecting their favorites when they were younger (Gillian’s Island, 3 Stooges, Beatles, Elvis, etc.). Anyone interested in this or thoughts on its future?

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think non-sports issues will increase in popularity. Some (like my own passion, Wacky Packages) I believe will ultimately decline as they appeal to a very specific demographic which will eventually age out. I can’t see younger buyers picking up the slack on issues like these. On the other hand, issues like Mars Attacks seem to have an iconic status now that could result in more lasting popularity.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they will definately rise in popularity. Gomer Pyle USMC cards are very popular right now. I've also seen a lot of interest in Elvis Presley cards and Jimi Hendrix cards. If you can put it on a card, there will always be people who are interested in it. Personally, I'm all for it. I like to see people get excited about collecting cards.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

1978 KISS cards always seem to be going up.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I believe that non-sports trading cards will be more popular with Generation X than with the Baby Boom generation of collectors. These cards were very popular in the late 1970s, and continue to be very popular today.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Star trek and batman cards have decent followings

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭