Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

HA CSNS auction (swing and a miss)

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Evil'lage can do a win, I can do a loss:
I bid strong early and was in the driver's seat. When I was finally unseated, I waited and thought and decided to go for it and put down another few hundred and regained my spot a day or two before the sale at around $1300 ($800 to $1200 was the estimate).

And then the online sale happened. And the bids poured in. I cut bid once and was outpaced within a split second.

Final hammer was $3840 with the juice. Congrats to the winner. I bet she's a stunner in-hand. And that was just one of my losses. I went 0 for 6 :(

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss,

You're cursed with good taste. You lost that lot (by a lot!) because of the motif. You probably lost out to a couple of collectors of predominantly US coinage. It's a nice grade, with good originality, of a motif that resonates with US coinage and Americana.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the consolation: At least I have good taste ;)

Here's the scoop on this piece:
    _
    Republic cast "National Convention" Medal L'An 1 (1792) MS64 PCGS, Maz-318a (R1), VG-338. 36mm. By A. Galle. Double weight. A rare and iconic "test" medal produced for the National Convention by the artists assembled at Lyon, cast from bell metal, and which was inspired by the iconic Libertas Americana design of the nascent United States. Noticeably impressive as a cast issue, full detail expressed in Liberty's windblown hair, and the surfaces, though appearing a mild reddish-purple in the photographs, are actually somewhat closer to a deep olive, reaching an aged silver finish atop the devices. Mislabeled on the holder as the standard weight variety. _

P.S. : I also lost both of those wildly toned 8 escudos :(

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame