Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Would you dip this coin with it’s color.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 27, 2019 4:47PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As you can see it has orange toning .

But the coin really has very nice reflective surfaces underneath.

Would you dip it ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO! I would roll some methylene chloride over it on a Q-tip to remove any hazing. Leave the color if you ever want to sell it to a collector.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2019 5:09PM

@thefinn said:
    NO! I would roll some methylene chloride over it on a Q-tip to remove any hazing. Leave the color if you ever want to sell it to a collector.

I do not see any hazing .....as I mentioned the surface is quite reflective.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

I do not see any hazing .....as I mentioned the surface is quite reflective.

I don't see any either, but it's amazing what builds up from cigarette smoke and smog, and 200 years of exposure. It always gives the luster to come through, and won't change the color.
    I only use lab grade solvents, which you can't get at Home Depot. Acetone scares me.

thefinn
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019 5:26PM

NO!!!!!

As it stands there are two types of collectors who want it: Those who like toning for whatever the reason and those who hate it. Once you dip it you are eliminating potential buyers.

As is, the toning guys will want it and the other group will want it so they can dip it!

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    NO!!!!!

As it stands there are two types of collectors who want it: Those who like toning for whatever the reason and those who hate it. Once you dip it you are eliminating potential buyers.

As is, the toning guys will want it and the other group will want it so they can dip it!

good point!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have asked a difficult question. Look at the obverse at the point where the IV meets the dentles at the rim and to the left of the I. Is that green and potentially corrosive? If under magnification you have some concern, you may use a toothpick to explore what that may be and see if it can be removed with a toothpick or q tip or something short of a dip.

I would not dip a coin such as this unless it became necessary for preservation. Should the fields be as reflective as you think, a dip will likely enhance any imperfections in the fields such as contact marks or light hairlines. And once that is done, you are stuck with the consequences which could mean that a once original coin that was attractive for what it once was is now a train wreck.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    You have asked a difficult question. Look at the obverse at the point where the IV meets the dentles at the rim and to the left of the I. Is that green and potentially corrosive? If under magnification you have some concern, you may use a toothpick to explore what that may be and see if it can be removed with a toothpick or q tip or something short of a dip.

I would not dip a coin such as this unless it became necessary for preservation. Should the fields be as reflective as you think, a dip will likely enhance any imperfections in the fields such as contact marks or light hairlines. And once that is done, you are stuck with the consequences which could mean that a once original coin that was attractive for what it once was is now a train wreck.

I looked at the obverse at the point where the IV meets the dentles at the rim and to the left of the I.
    The green is toning !

I agree with as well that I should not dip the coin.

However on close inspection the coin may have been wiped.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something's odd about that color. How uniform it is. Also makes me think of tobacco smoke. Have you tried acetone?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Something's odd about that color. How uniform it is. Also makes me think of tobacco smoke. Have you tried acetone?

no do you think i should try acetone.......

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

very uniform color.... the color is odd to me me as well but underneath the color the surfaces are unmistakeably reflective....the 'wear' you see on the high points on the obverse looks like it sat in a cabinet or something.

• Options

So, here are my 2 kopecks: if you see wiping / hairlines under the toning - let it be and either keep or sell as is. If you think there's a very lustrous AU / MS (although that friction on high points would probably keep it AU) - start with acetone. Soak it for a few minutes, then soak a q-tip and gently run it over the coin. Keep repeating until the q-tip stops turning black / brown. If this coin sat in a cabinet in a smoker's home - a lot of what you think is patina will come off.

I would not dip it. Although I know people who swear by MS70.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    So, here are my 2 kopecks: if you see wiping / hairlines under the toning - let it be and either keep or sell as is. If you think there's a very lustrous AU / MS (although that friction on high points would probably keep it AU) - start with acetone. Soak it for a few minutes, then soak a q-tip and gently run it over the coin. Keep repeating until the q-tip stops turning black / brown. If this coin sat in a cabinet in a smoker's home - a lot of what you think is patina will come off.

I would not dip it. Although I know people who swear by MS70.

What is the purpose of running a soaked acetone q tip over the coin?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

• Options

@bidask said:

What is the purpose of running a soaked acetone q tip over the coin?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Removing surface contaminants.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@chiniu67 said:
    NO, No
    before you dip, I would make you an offer, nice coin, pls do not give it a bath
    aps

Don’t ever buy or sell this guy anything, he is a known non payer and non deliverer of coins and/or bullion here on these forums...

keceph `anah