Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mr. Starbuck, 20 degrees to the starboard side!

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished guests, I have just captured one of my biggest white whales! My wife is absolutey going to kill me, but this is a scolding I will gladly take. At approximately 7:30 p.m. eastern time, I am looking through the Joe Louis boxing card section on Ebay, when all of a sudden, BAM! Like a punch right in the face from Joe Louis himself, there it sits. A 1971 Shindana toys Joe Louis card. I almost fell out of my chair. I have been looking for this card for YEARS. It was a buy it now for $49.00. I pounced on it like a wild man. Yes, my wife will pounce on me, but it is a scolding I will gladly take. I have waited so long for this card and now I own it! "Mr. Starbuck, 20 degrees to the starboard side, we're takin' this ship home"! Cheers! 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🤗

Comments

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Congrats on landing the whale. 49.00 is not allot to pay for something you have waited as long as you have. BE sure to post a scan when it is in hand

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mccardguy1 said:
    Congrats on landing the whale. 49.00 is not allot to pay for something you have waited as long as you have. BE sure to post a scan when it is in hand

Thank you, and I definitely will post some pics when it gets here.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished guests, I have just captured one of my biggest white whales! My wife is absolutey going to kill me, but this is a scolding I will gladly take. At approximately 7:30 p.m. eastern time, I am looking through the Joe Louis boxing card section on Ebay, when all of a sudden, BAM! Like a punch right in the face from Joe Louis himself, there it sits. A 1971 Shindana toys Joe Louis card. I almost fell out of my chair. I have been looking for this card for YEARS. It was a buy it now for $49.00. I pounced on it like a wild man. Yes, my wife will pounce on me, but it is a scolding I will gladly take. I have waited so long for this card and now I own it! "Mr. Starbuck, 20 degrees to the starboard side, we're takin' this ship home"! Cheers! 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🤗

Do you have a link to the listing? I can't seem to find it in the sold items on ebay.

First I have to > @lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

Do you have a link to the listing? I can't seem to find it in the sold items on ebay.

No, but it was about 7:30 p.m. eastern time when I spotted it. I guess you could google it. COMC was the seller. I don't know if it will show up or not. I still haven't told my wife yet. I'm gonna try to slip it past her.

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

No, but it was about 7:30 p.m. eastern time when I spotted it. I guess you could google it. COMC was the seller. I don't know if it will show up or not. I still haven't told my wife yet. I'm gonna try to slip it past her.

Since you bought it on eBay it will be in your purchase history. All you would have to do is go to purchase history and share the item

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

Since you bought it on eBay it will be in your purchase history. All you would have to do is go to purchase history and share the item

I tried to share it. It's on pinterest. I don't know if it worked or not.

I guess it didn't work. I'll post some pics of it when it gets here. I'll have to use a friends device to post the pics. All I have is a outdated computer. Right now I'm just nervous about getting to the mailbox first. If I don't get there first, tell everybody it's been fun!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• All you need to do is cut and paste the link here. It's really not that difficult, unless of course, this is nothing more than a time wasting load of s***.

@craig44 said:
    It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!

Plan A= not get caught
    Plan B= ask for forgiveness!

@doubledragon said:

I guess it didn't work. I'll post some pics of it when it gets here. I'll have to use a friends device to post the pics. All I have is a outdated computer. Right now I'm just nervous about getting to the mailbox first. If I don't get there first, tell everybody it's been fun!

I'm a bit confused. You said it's on Pinterest. How is it on Pinterest if you don't have it in hand yet? Unless you used a scan from the listing but if that's the case, you should be able to post it here.

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm a bit confused. You said it's on Pinterest. How is it on Pinterest if you don't have it in hand yet? Unless you used a scan from the listing but if that's the case, you should be able to post it here.

It gave me six options on ebay purchase history when I pushed the share button. Pinterest, twitter, facebook, gmail, and 2 others. I pushed the pinterest option, and it put a picture of it on a pinterest page. I'll just have it scanned, when it gets here. It should be here by next friday.

@NYYanksFan7 said:
    All you need to do is cut and paste the link here. It's really not that difficult, unless of course, this is nothing more than a time wasting load of s***.

It's not a load of s.... I collect Joe Louis cards. It's a 1971 Shindana toys Joe Louis. I've collected Joe Louis cards for years.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

This shows up under google search for that item, sold out on COMC.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Non-Sports/1971/Shindana_Toys_Afro_American_History_Mystery_-_Base/JOLO/Joe_Louis/12273440

It kinda of sounds like you need an "upgrade" if your wife sweats a $50 purchase that seems to be of epic proportions to you. My wife doesn't particularly care for my collectibles, but would probably be happy for me, or at least pretend to be happy for me, if I scored something I had been looking years for and got it for only $50. She'll spend 3-4 times that on hair appointments every couple of months, maybe less.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019 6:31PM

Can't find this on eBay. Can't find in COMC's sold or completed items. Think I'll just let the mystery be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaoR5m4L80

Andy

• FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

That's a beating worth taking any day. After she give's you that same beating, tell her you like it. Just to see the look on her face. :D

I'll tell you what, there's a 1946 propagandas montiel Joe Louis card on Ebay right now that I would LOVE to have, but it's $300. Just out of reach for me. Been looking for that card a long time also. I'll just have to wait and see if a cheaper one pops up someday. I hate it when a card is just out of reach like that. It's the ultimate tease.

@mrmopar said:
    This shows up under google search for that item, sold out on COMC.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Non-Sports/1971/Shindana_Toys_Afro_American_History_Mystery_-_Base/JOLO/Joe_Louis/12273440

It kinda of sounds like you need an "upgrade" if your wife sweats a $50 purchase that seems to be of epic proportions to you. My wife doesn't particularly care for my collectibles, but would probably be happy for me, or at least pretend to be happy for me, if I scored something I had been looking years for and got it for only $50. She'll spend 3-4 times that on hair appointments every couple of months, maybe less.

Well, the problem is when I go past our budget. I am guilty of spending too much on cards. I just get carried away and order too many sometimes, so I can understand why she gets upset. The 1971 shindana Joe Louis just couldn't be helped. There is no way I was going to let this card slip away.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on finding a rare card that you're always wanted.

I too would love to see your white whale doubledragon, that's what this hobby is all about. Here are 2 easy steps for you to be able to show your trophy to the members here who can certainly appreciate the quest and the catch when it comes to an item that will be a centerpiece in your collection.

Step 1 - Click on purchase history under the "my eBay" tab (see illustration below)

Step 2 - Once you're on the "purchase history" page the item should be near the top of the page since you won it so recently. Even if you've won a few items since then and it is not near the top, just scroll a little and it will be there. When you see the item dont even click on the item. Just get a pen and write the down eBay item number (see illustration below) and then type that item number here in this thread. We'll do the rest for you.

Cool card!
    Thank you for the assist @mrmopar

@nam812 said:
    Congratulations on finding a rare card that you're always wanted.

I too would love to see your white whale doubledragon, that's what this hobby is all about. Here are 2 easy steps for you to be able to show your trophy to the members here who can certainly appreciate the quest and the catch when it comes to an item that will be a centerpiece in your collection.

Step 1 - Click on purchase history under the "my eBay" tab (see illustration below)

Step 2 - Once you're on the "purchase history" page the item should be near the top of the page since you won it so recently. Even if you've won a few items since then and it is not near the top, just scroll a little and it will be there. When you see the item dont even click on the item. Just get a pen and write the down eBay item number (see illustration below) and then type that item number here in this thread. We'll do the rest for you.

Here is the number-233208045839

edited April 28, 2019 6:58AM

How did you find it Nick? I put in the item number and didn't get anything.

@lawnmowerman said:
    How did you find it Nick? I put in the item number and didn't get anything.

I didn't either Matt, then I put the item number into watchcount.com and there it was.

Finally! I'm looking forward to it's arrival. I'm also NOT looking forward to it's arrival if you know what I mean! Hint- "The goalie"!

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@FINESTKIND said:
    That's a beating worth taking any day. After she give's you that same beating, tell her you like it. Just to see the look on her face. :D

My safe word is “keep going”.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Hint to anyone who has not figured it out yet. Cards being sold on COMC are more expensive on eBay from the start. I assume they tack on some to help cover fees. I have also noticed that until you log into COMC (with an account), the cards there are also a little more expensive to non account holders.

If you have a COMC account, you log in and the card you want is always slightly cheaper than what you see on ebay. You then may also be able to get it a little cheaper still by making an offer. There are risks, such as someone buying it out from under you, but if it is not something special, I always try to knock a little more off the price.

Take away - When I see a card I have interest in on ebay that shows COMC as the seller, I immediately jump over to COMC to buy it direct.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
    edited May 21, 2019 10:35AM

Captain Ahab: Mr. Starbuck, what is that I see 30 degrees to the starboard side?

Mr. Starbuck: Captain sir, it appears to be a 2018 Sportkings Joe Louis card sir. I believe it is just the base version sir. Base versions are a dime a dozen. They are buy 1, get 50 free sir.

Captain Ahab: No Mr. Starbuck! They are no ordinary base version! They are the Hobby version, limited to just 100 copies! I have been tracking this version for months! Yes, Mr. Starbuck, I know 100 copies doesn't really qualify as rare, but these are very tricky to hunt down. I have been waiting for months for 1 to turn up, and now we have spotted 2 of them! Set a course, they shall not escape us Mr. Starbuck!

2 hours later...........

Mr. Starbuck, we now have two 2018 Sportkings base hobby version Joe Louis cards, limited to 100 copies. Not a bad days work Mr Starbuck. Now if we can just hunt down the mini hobby version, limited to 50 copies, we will be set.

Mr. Starbuck: Aye, aye Captain sir.

Captain Ahab: By the way Mr. Starbuck, Dave Kingman should be in the Hall of fame. A vast ye matees! Mr.Starbuck, 30 degrees to the portside! We set sail for home!😉

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I haven't heard a peep from Queequeg.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973

@mrpeanut39 said:
    I haven't heard a peep from Queequeg.

Yes, Queequeg will be making appearances in upcoming tales of..............Moby Dick Cards.😉