Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Liberty $20 double eagles, to grade or not

JusticeJustice Posts: 3
edited April 26, 2019 4:42AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Hello everyone! I'd like anyone to offer their opinions on my double eagles. I'm trying to decide if I should have them graded or not. Both were sold to me in BU condition.

I'm thinking these could be ms62-64. What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

AU, 61 on a good day, not a chance they're 64.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't get the 1903 graded, it will come back genuine, scratch-AU detail, scratches on chin and in front of chin are too deep for a straight grade

• Options

More pictures of the 1903 under better light

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they were mine, I’d have both graded. For my peace of mind while I own them, and for the buyers peace of mind when you sell them.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 1903 is not worth much more then melt. I just sent in 6- $20 liberty's about 6 weeks ago and one was better then your 1903 and come back details

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2019 11:08PM

Strong suggestion going forward: instead of buying raw lower grade unc. Double Eagles, then paying grading fees plus round trip shipping, and then risk the grade, AND risk it gets “detailed”, buy them already graded by PCGS at MS62, 63, or 64. With checking only one source a minute ago, I see you can get 62 Libs or Saints at only $48 over 1oz spot, 63 Saints at $63, and 64’s at $93. More shopping will find even better pricing.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60 or details on the first one.
    MS62 at best on the second one.

I'd still get them slabbed.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Thanks all for your opinions on these :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

With so many fakes from China, and for the lower numismatic premium over spot price. Holdered Gold is the best way to go IMO.

This!

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I would not waste the money getting them graded. No real upside to that.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t have them slabbed. If you like them, enjoy them raw as nature intended.

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I have a number of PCGS registered gold coins in AU58 - MS66. I also have some AU - MS65 raw gold coins, just because I like to touch, hold, & feel them! Gold in a slab is security of value, but it loses that feeling of weight, & awesomeness of a raw coin "in hand"! If these are the only ones you have, get them graded. Makes them far easier to sell. If you have others that are graded, what the heck, keep them raw.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com