Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 Topps "Superstars" 5x7 cards

tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Does anyone collect these? They were sold in a variety of packaging, and I've been having fun finding all of the different types. For 39 year old cards they are attractive and remarkably cheap (probably because they aren't standard size and there are lots of them.)

There are white backs and grey backs, and the set features some of the biggest stars of 1980. Shame they didn't make a Henderson! Can you imagine the value of a PSA 10 on that card??? There were 60 different players, so something fun for everyone.

Just curious if I am the only one...
kevin

Comments

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019 12:49PM

I like the high-quality photos, but IMO these cards would have been better if the backs had career stats, or anything else except the "Topps" logo and a bunch of blank space.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards!

I almost bought one of the boxes on ebay, but decided I am not going to start another obsession.......er, collection!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love when people get excited about collecting. It's that excitement that makes this hobby truly one of a kind.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019 6:39PM

I have some boxes of these - purchased 25 yrs ago - I think they were something like 10 bucks per box?

These come loose in the box - 48 ct. - so I shrink wrapped them.

My take? I think Topps expected people to use them to attain autographs?

Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

The white backs are tough to find in high grade. Very poor centering and surfaces. The grey backs are thicker, but come loose like Mike mentioned.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I collect them. I am a little surprised they don't sell for more. They are beautiful cards. Much like the 60's Dexter Press cards.
    I have 16 of the Stars PSA graded. 2 are high grade white backs. Jim Rice and YAZ.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I always remember collecting these. a fun set you could save up you r money then go buy the ones you wanted.

ahh the memories

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

These are some of my favorite baseball items to collect. They look great in frames.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

They still are about $10 per box.
    Guess not everything goes up in price.

Who's the best card on the set?

• Options

I would assume that the Brett would be one of the best in the set.

I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has found different ways these cards were distributed. So far, here's what I know:

Grey backs in the fairly common boxes of 48 loose cards as posted earlier in this thread
    Grey backs in hanger packs of 5 cards with a "5 photo cards" sticker placed over the earlier 3 card spot on the hanger
    Grey backs in hanger packs of 5 cards with a changed hanger that reads "5 photo cards"
    White backs in hanger packs of 3 cards
    ??? backs in what appear to be some sort of test issue packaging, one card to a pack, with the packs in a plain yellow box

Not sure what of that packaging is the "most rare" but so far it seems generally harder to find white backs than grey backs, though I'm not sure there is a terribly large premium for the white backs.

I have in my collection a "wax box" (or I guess a cello box???) of the 5 card grey back packs with the 5 card stickers. That box is 36 packs, and the box itself has the same white sticker on it.

I also have an uncut sheet of the grey backs. It is rough, but beautiful despite its condition.
    kevin

• Options

@TheThrill22 said:
    These are some of my favorite baseball items to collect. They look great in frames.

The side of the wax/cello box that I have of these packs actually says "Suitable for Framing."

:smile:

kevin

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    I collect them. I am a little surprised they don't sell for more. They are beautiful cards. Much like the 60's Dexter Press cards.
    I have 16 of the Stars PSA graded. 2 are high grade white backs. Jim Rice and YAZ.

Wow, any chance you’d part with the Yaz??

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checklist:

Mike
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

White backs are going to be impossible to get in high grade. Years ago I opened multiple boxes of white backs when they were plentiful and I tossed them all. Poor centering, dinged corners, and high amounts of scratching on fronts throughout.
    If you are a player collector, spend the money when a high grade white back of your player comes up. I can't see pops moving higher any time soon!

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

I have one , a PSA 9 Cesar Cedeno POP-1, none higher .

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I have a handful of white back hanger packs, mostly with stars on the top that I kept. I have both the white back set and the gray back set. I always loved them. I still need a couple of team issues (forget which ones) from the next year.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

They also had a few regional team issues - at least Astros, Rangers and Phillies.

I have a soft spot for these types of sets.
    64 Topps Giants
    70 and 71 Topps Supers
    71 Topps Greatest Moments
    Donruss Action All-Stars (83 as my favorite)
    83 Phillies 100th Anniversary Visually, they are attractive and have interesting content. At between 24 and 72 cards, they typically have a high % of HOF cards. The set size, to me, makes 6hem manageable with regard to collecting a graded set. My only 2 graded sets are the 64 Giants and 54 Topps Hockey as they are only 60 cards each.
    I would love to have a Greatest Moments set.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Have a set of both the grey and white backs. Nice cards. They are big though.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019 1:45PM

Still have a box of unopened white backs. made a set with all the different cards on the front in unopened form.

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

White backs were also sold by Topps to dealers who were on their regular list of customers. They came (I think) five complete sets to a box and were each packaged in plain, non-padded yellow envelopes, hence there were often some that had a ding or two, depending on how UPS treated your boxes. No one cared that much because it was SOMETHING NEW FROM TOPPS! I can't recall the cost per set but they were considered very "high end" at the time. I want to say we sold them for around $50 per set in the beginning.

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

There used to be a small shop near Salisbury Beach, Mass. that had a lot of test issue stuff like that. I still have about 10 packs of the gray back and 10 packs of the white backs that I bought from that shop.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Wow, any chance you’d part with the Yaz??

Yes. What do you have for trade? PM me if you like.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED