Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's going on with Derek Jeter Rookie Cards?

Has any board members notice the surge in prices for Jeter rookies? Does anyone have a credible reason why they are getting all this attention now? HOF around the corner couldn't be the sole reason no? thoughts on this matter appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 1:32PM

Need to look at this holistically for the answer. It's happening with a lot of rookies from the 80's and 90's.

Similar trends happening on certain pre war cards. It's obvious there are as many hands in the market as we've had in years. Jeter is just a subset

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange things happen in the card collecting world. Prices can just go up over night for weird reasons. Just another day in the cardboard twilight zone.

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Think Sandman. Similar run-ups always occur with obvious first ballot hof rookie cards. Throw a Yankee uniform in the mix with a couple of World Series rings and it’s off to never, never land.

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 5:42PM

The people who watched him are starting to come into money now...They have jobs and are spending it on things they loved.

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Very true, 2! B)

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

gave and, tucked a couple away years ago

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

as was said earlier, this run up has happened to many cards from the 80s-90s. I think it is due to many collectors from this era reentering the hobby, and said collectors are entering their prime earning years. Griffey has also seen some good increases.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeter is different from whatever is going on with the '80s. While Jeter's cards are '93, he didn't hit the majors until, what, '96? That's close to a decade away from the "re-entering the hobby" that we're seeing with the '80s.

I'd take a look at the auctions and see who is winning them (and who is not) but I just don't have the inclination. But that is what I would look at if I wanted to know what was going on.

Arthur

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you check out the FB groups, you will see that there are lots of guys reentering the hobby who were last active during the late 90s - early 00s. Jeter was right in their wheelhouse as the Yankees were winning multiple championships. nostalgia is a powerful drug.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

There's obviously new collectors entering the market but, in this case, they're not the same generation as the hobby boom kids. Perhaps it's the young, wealthy generation that I've been hearing about that likes to look at cards as an investment.

Arthur

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

i even jumped on a Jeter Sp and i hate the Yankees ...lol

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born in 79 and was very heavy into Jeter Minor League cards in 92 and 93. He was always one of the top prospects and plenty of people my age at the time from the boom years were still collecting.

Jeter is a sure fire HOF'er so if the recipe of buying HOF star cards is the way to go like many think he will naturally get some buyers from all age ranges.

My best guess is a fresh wave of investment dollars coming into the hobby. Joe O posted a video of Gary Vee hyping cards and I just started following him on Twitter and I wouldn't doubt that some of his 1.8 million followers are taking his advice and diving into cards.

It does seem odd that the 93 SP in a 9 is up like 50% in two months.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers group? I posted about having the SMR more up to date, to better reflect the "market". Most people's repsonse, "I just use Ebay sales, that's the best way". However, these sales can be manipulated rather easily. The one thing that EBAY doesn't post that would show true transparency, Highlight the sales that are actually paid for. This would change the whole dynamic of pricing. I have spoke personally with EBAY customer service agents and they confirmed that many "sales" go without payment on sports cards, this includes one of the major consignment companies that many of us talk about on this board.

Two years ago Jordan cards where going through the roof and while they are still a little high, they are no where near the all-time highs (a 1988 Fleer psa 10 "sold" for $2,000, now they sale for about $500). The prices for the newer cards are out of whack based on the sheer number of these items that are 10's and the number still be graded.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A post in a PSA Facebook page I follow had an old Beckett from 1993 w/ Piazza on the cover. Reminded me of paying $2-$3 each for 93 SP Jeter rookies along w/a handful of other usual suspects at the time (Rondell, Chipper, etc). Good memories good times. Since Mantle is before my time, DJ's popular, only one other Yankee since my Yankee fandom came to be in 1986 rivals his popularity and that's Don Mattingly. There's upward movement left for the 93 SP, more upward movement for his 93 Upper Deck and 93 Pinnacle value wise IMO. But there's a ceiling on all of them.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

It's called he scheduled to go into the HOF next year.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's Derek Jeter. Yankees. 3000 hit club. 5 rings. Stats and championships are what drives this hobby. Also popularity. He has them all.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    Buyers group? I posted about having the SMR more up to date, to better reflect the "market". Most people's repsonse, "I just use Ebay sales, that's the best way". However, these sales can be manipulated rather easily. The one thing that EBAY doesn't post that would show true transparency, Highlight the sales that are actually paid for. This would change the whole dynamic of pricing. I have spoke personally with EBAY customer service agents and they confirmed that many "sales" go without payment on sports cards, this includes one of the major consignment companies that many of us talk about on this board.

Two years ago Jordan cards where going through the roof and while they are still a little high, they are no where near the all-time highs (a 1988 Fleer psa 10 "sold" for $2,000, now they sale for about $500). The prices for the newer cards are out of whack based on the sheer number of these items that are 10's and the number still be graded.

What is SMR based on that it would be more accurate than real-time auction sales?

Arthur

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

My observation on why Jeter cards have taken off. It's not a surprise to me. He will be inducted into the basbeall HOF next summer, so people are jumping on his cards early, especially the SP because it's his HOF registry card. The registry is a powerful drug which also drives prices. I also think the SP Jeter has driven people out of that price range especially in a PSA 9. Which is consistently selling for $6K. That card was a little over $3K last summer.

I think for a card that was produced in 1993 people want high end grades thus going after TSC, Topps, Score, ect, etc..... because the prices are somewhat reasonable. Just my two cents.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

What about Jeter is there not to like?
    great player who always tried hard and played the game for all to respect.
    Many people beyond baseball probably want his card. Many are jumping on the bandwagon.
    Many are speculating the card can go even higher.
    I thought Mike Trout's update card couldn't go any higher than $300 in a 10. Now its $900 and rising.
    Jeter's SP is now at $900 and many asking more than that. Can it go higher. Probably.
    My son has a PSA 8 and wants to sell and trusts me on advice. Do we wait?

I believe most card auctions are paid for 99% of the time.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple 1993 SP's that are 8's that I purchased a year and a half ago for under $250 each. I, too, wonder if now is the time to sell.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is SMR based on that it would be more accurate than real-time auction sales?

Arthur

PSA has ties and connections with many dealers and sellers. Currently, for their auction prices they use a handful of consignors to base their prices (My 1987 Bonds OPC sold for $1250 and that sale helped escalate the price of that card, but PSA did not use that sale for their auction prices). If PSA chose to enhance their "price collecting" endeavors, they could have a reliable source for the prices. its to easy to manipulate ebay prices, i.e. jordan cards from two years ago.

currently though, PSA doesn't see a need to produce a timely and relevant price guide.

probably won't help stock price.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@olb31 said:

Arthur

PSA has ties and connections with many dealers and sellers. Currently, for their auction prices they use a handful of consignors to base their prices (My 1987 Bonds OPC sold for $1250 and that sale helped escalate the price of that card, but PSA did not use that sale for their auction prices). If PSA chose to enhance their "price collecting" endeavors, they could have a reliable source for the prices. its to easy to manipulate ebay prices, i.e. jordan cards from two years ago.

currently though, PSA doesn't see a need to produce a timely and relevant price guide.

probably won't help stock price.

Wouldn't it be much more easier to manipulate the SMR prices since they're based off fewer sales that aren't even publicly viewable?

Arthur

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    What about Jeter is there not to like?

He played for the Yankees.