Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Two different cards, same factory dimple on both, same exact spot??

dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I have two different 2018 Topps Aaron Judge Mothers Day Pink #1 (paper, not chrome). Both cards have a dimple in the same exact spot on both cards. Now, I have these cards in other parallels (Fathers Day Blue, Negative, Base, Rainbow Foil and Gold) and none of the other cards have this dimple. Its completely uniform, so it must have happened during printing of this specific pink variation. Does anyone else have any idea what caused this or has anyone else ever seen this on two different cards? Both of these cards were sourced from two completely different sources and both have the same surface defect.

How would PSA treat this? Would they be able to overlook it as a factory defect that all of these (serial numbered /50) potentially have or would they hammer it on the surface grade? Would I be able to note that my other one has the same defect and "prove" it wasn't caused after the fact by mishandling?

Note: these are two different cards in these pictures

Closeup of dimple

Comments

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

It's a one grade knock down depending on the size and grader's discretion. That to me looks big. Indentations or dimples are caused by crud or dust particles that was stuck to the printing plate. That's why it's on the same spot for that issue.

• Options

Just sucks that all of these copies are probably defective and none will now grade higher than a 9. This one has PSA 10 potential too.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Same thing happened with the 1999 Emmitt Smith collector's edge galvanized card. The indent looks exactly the same as on the judge card. Every card, same spot. Pop 805 in PSA 9 😳

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats> @lawnmowerman said:

Same thing happened with the 1999 Emmitt Smith collector's edge galvanized card. The indent looks exactly the same as on the judge card. Every card, same spot. Pop 805 in PSA 9 😳

That’s mind blowing to have that many subbed, I didn’t realize that issue was so popular. There are no 10’s for the Aikman either and the Deion is even more troubling

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2019 10:01PM

Hope is not lost. I am pretty sure I have sent in card with dimples like that and still received 10's, so I believe it is possible. Of course, it is very grader dependent. I had a number of 2013 Prizm Giannis Antetokounmpo RC and parallels that had these dimples. I remember sending a couple in just to see what would happen and if my memory serves correctly at least one came back a 10. My dimple was probably a little smaller than your examples though (although not by that much).

Steve
  • Options

thanks guys I guess ill see what happens

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

In our industry we call that a hickie. A spec of dust fell on the plate as the press was in motion. Looks like during the UV process. The pressman was not aware as the press runs at 10,000 sheets per hour or faster but I'm sure he found it and cleaned the plates .

• Options

One other thing could factor in as the pressman is to pull the sheets and destroy them. Then start at the point he stopped making up the loss of the run. So kinda rare if others are found without.

• Options

should I indicate it was a factory defect on the sub or it wouldn't make a difference

• Options

Can you show without the glare putting the cards side by side or hckie to hickie.
    I'm not a grader I'm a pressman. but put a calll for other examples if no others then that's confirmation of only a few were released.

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno1 said:
    should I indicate it was a factory defect on the sub or it wouldn't make a difference

It won't make a difference. A defect is a defect whether man made or factory made. They will grade it accordingly.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not your fault, that's something Topps did when they made them. It's still a must have card for any Aaron Judge collector.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Thats> @lawnmowerman said:

That’s mind blowing to have that many subbed, I didn’t realize that issue was so popular.

Technically they really weren't. There was some type of deal between PSA and collector's edge. I don't remember all the specifics but collector's edge packs containing one PSA graded card were sold for $10. This would explain the gigantic populations.