Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1799/8 Draped Bust Large Cent ?

I picked this from a pile of cull large cents the other day, just cause I thought it was neat... Draped Bust, the year George Washington died, etc... Two other people look at it and thought it’s just “tooled” to look like a 99. Granted it has many scratches, but upon closer inspection I thought that it might be a 1799/8. Anybody care to weigh in ?
Is it worth sending in to authenticate?

Answers

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures!

• Options
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 3:23PM

From Coin Facts.

Notes: 1796 to 1807

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were only two obverse dies used for the 1799. Clearly, neither was used to create this coin!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

altered date

• Options
    JalexfosterJalexfoster Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

From Coin Facts:

Draped Bust Cent, 1799/8 1C, BN, PCGS XF45BN
    The second nine looks all wrong on this one too... >:)

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

@Jalexfoster said:
    From Coin Facts:

Agreed - but the last 9 of the PCGS coin doesn't look like the same 9 in the OP, IMO.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jalexfoster said:
    From Coin Facts:

Interesting.

It’s one of the three listed in Coin Facts for that date, too.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1799-1c-bn/1443

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse of the op’s coin doesn’t match any of the known varieties.....but hey maybe it’s a new NC discovery - yeah that’s the ticket!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2019 8:38AM

I didn't have to get close enough to examine the details of the date or absorb the specific differences in the last digit.

99 and 99/8 are very often problematic to authenticate (moreso than to grade) in low-end "details" condition, but what jumped out to me immediately was the depth of the date details and (pseudo-) rim compared to all other details near the rims at any other point. :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Details" coin of course but that 9 looks tooled, and I think the tool also left that perfectly straight line on the left side of the 9.

• Options

The more I look at it, I don't believe it's the overdate shown. The top loop is different. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file