Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The internet is amazing

MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from knowing they exist, I knew practically nothing else about the silver pennies of Great Britain. An admittedly short internet search led me to these two websites:

Long Cross Pennies (1247-1279)
https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/Long-Cross-Pennies/Long Cross Pennies P1.htm

The Long Cross Pennies of Henry III
http://www.henry3.com/home.html

As noted, the internet is amazing.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Information everywhere on everything ... and you know it is all true because it is on the internet! ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it's certainly a boon to researching coins.

I remember trying to research a coin from Trebizond, back in the pre-Internet days (we're talking 1990s). Trebizond coins weren't listed in any coin catalogue I owned, or had access to. Surprisingly for a country that existed for over 200 years, any information about the country was hard to come by, let alone info on their coinage. The Encyclopedia Britannica entry on the Empire of Trebizond was like only five or six lines long. Went to the university library, and after several weeks searching I eventually found a single book about the history and emperors of Trebizond, from which I was able to extract enough information to have a reasonable guess at the identity of the issuer of my coin.

Now, we can type "trebizond silver coin" into Google, and get 63,500 hits. The number one hit in the "Images" Google search is a more-or-less exact match for my coin. Mystery solved in less than three seconds.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

That first website is great.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3