Home Sports Talk
Options

Nike - Adidas - Other

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an Adidas guy only. What brand do you wear the most ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be Nike and Adidas, since That stupid Kap Billboard nonsense and them endorsing him I have not bought a single Nike item. Adidas only now 👍

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019 8:19AM

Buying shoes from a German shoe/apparel company to show your protest of Kapernick's protest of US flag. I do agree that everyone should feel free to vote with their checkbook and that includes sports apparel. If Adidas fits your profile for a company, so be it.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every company does this stuff . Auto companies walmart , target etc.

Name off a company that you would say acts with any degree of morals. Somebody , anybody :s

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Name off a company that you would say acts with any degree of morals. Somebody , anybody :s

The difference is that they don’t use a fraud scumbag like Colin Kap as a face of their product though

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    How about the hypocrisy of NIKE ? Backing a guy who stands against oppression, while NIKE takes their business out of America to poor countries and have people work slave labor.

How much would these "slaves" be making per hour if Nike hadn't built a factory there?

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Trader Joe's seems like a quality operation.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019 9:11AM

@dallasactuary said:

@1970s said:
    How about the hypocrisy of NIKE ? Backing a guy who stands against oppression, while NIKE takes their business out of America to poor countries and have people work slave labor.

How much would these "slaves" be making per hour if Nike hadn't built a factory there?

I’ll need to see actual proof on what these actual workers are making. I calm BS until so. Sounds agenda driven to me. Factories need to to be approved in order to ship into the US, UE etc. The approval includes hitting pay standards, hour standards and safety and factory standards.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I quit buying Nike shoes 20 years ago when the sizes were inconsistent from factory to factory. Wear New Balance now. Can buy them online with no problem with fit.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@dallasactuary said:

@1970s said:

And by the way I guarantee you the $.20 an hour is pure fabrication. Not even close to reality.

Yes, I think it's from a 60 minutes segment a generation ago; the figure today is $1+ per hour. That's not a lot, but $1 will buy you a lot more in Vietnam than it will here. But more to the point, the alternative for these workers is to not get paid at all. Western companies operating in Asia have lifted more people out of poverty than there are people in this country.

So in answer to bronco's challenge to name a company that operates morally, I nominate Nike. They have done more actual good in the world than every comfortable American condescending to know what's best for everyone combined.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2019 9:20AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I quit buying Nike shoes 20 years ago when the sizes were inconsistent from factory to factory. Wear New Balance now. Can buy them online with no problem with fit.

I can see that. They produced the same shoes in multiple countries and tried to standardize sizing 9.5/43 for example for the US and Europe. I still wear Nike’s but it’s literally the same Cortez style so it’s easy

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Nike's use of slave labor is an issue when its putting money in Colin Kaepernick's wallet but its not an issue when it was handing out astronomical sums of money to the Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter,Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, the Williams sisters and thousands upon thousands of other athletes over the years?
    Slave labor is slave labor regardless of who is benefitting from it at the end of the day.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

strictly Puma when it comes to athletic shoes

• Options

@1970s said:
    Justacommonman said.............."And by the way I guarantee you the $.20 an hour is pure fabrication. Not even close to reality."

LOL+ "Not even close to reality" !!! LOL+

.20 cents per hour in the mid-1990s. Which means .25 to .30 cents per hour today, unless
    you think that they have increased wages 100% to .40 cents per hour.

Which nation has seen a 100% increase in worker wages since the mid-1990's.

Please just name one Mr. Pure Fabrication.

LOL+

Not remotely close to the truth but that seems not to matter to you. I have business in Vietnam and I assure you are off. Way off. Way way off.

m

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

There is a New Balance factory right around the corner from my house and I have an uncle that has been working there since the 70's. Between their yearly clearance sale and his employee discount I've bought quite a few pairs of their sneakers over the years at a great price.
    IMHO Asics and New Balance sneakers have been the most comfortable I've ever worn.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Slave labor is slave labor regardless of who is benefitting from it at the end of the day.

Slave labor is terrible, but what does it have to do with people voluntarily working for low wages when their alternative is not working, for no wages?

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@erikthredd said:

Slave labor is terrible, but what does it have to do with people voluntarily working for low wages when their alternative is not working, for no wages?

That isn't the point of this thread though,its about Nike using slave labor to pay Colin Kaepernick yet OP chooses to ignore the fact that Nike has been paying athletes for years while using the same slave labor.

• Options

@1970s said:

. I have business in Vietnam and I assure you are off. Way off. Way way off.

m

Sorry. Unless you have checked it out yourself, snopes.com wins over some American businessman who has "businesses" in Vietnam.

We won't question your "businesses" in Vietnam. I'm sure they are 100% legit and not defrauding Americans of jobs. LOL

:D snopes thinks that russia stole the election you wouldn't believe that but you believe this?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is already a bash Kaepernick thread here that petered out after 1100 or so posts and the Kate Smith thread is starting to slow down, so this thread just seems like another opportunity to mix politics in with sports and put together a roster of posters here who hate Colin Kaepernick with a red hot passion.
    We get it -- now can we get back to sports and important topics like George Brett's on base percentage on astroturf?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@dallasactuary said:

@erikthredd said:

That isn't the point of this thread though,its about Nike using slave labor to pay Colin Kaepernick yet OP chooses to ignore the fact that Nike has been paying athletes for years while using the same slave labor.

You keep using the phrase "slave labor". I do not think it means what you think it means. To the best of my knowledge, Nike does not use slave labor; they offer a wage and people line up for the opportunity to work for that wage. Clueless do-gooders in the West see a wage that they woiuldn't work for and decide it would be better for these people to starve to death, unseen, rather than have to read about it in a Western do-gooder publication where they erroneously refer to the practice of saving these people's lives as "slave labor".

Plus, I felt no need to stick to the "point" of the thread when its premise in the OP was a years-old tweet full of falsehoods that even the far-left Snopes.com saw fit to debunk.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@1970s said:
    Justacommonman said.............."And by the way I guarantee you the $.20 an hour is pure fabrication. Not even close to reality."

LOL+ "Not even close to reality" !!! LOL+

.20 cents per hour in the mid-1990s. Which means .25 to .30 cents per hour today, unless
    you think that they have increased wages 100% to .40 cents per hour.

Please just name one Mr. Pure Fabrication.

LOL+

Not remotely close to the truth but that seems not to matter to you. I have business in Vietnam and I assure you are off. Way off. Way way off.

m

I'll trust Commeman on this subject.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2019 12:26PM

@1970s said:

. I have business in Vietnam and I assure you are off. Way off. Way way off.

m

Sorry. Unless you have checked it out yourself, snopes.com wins over some American businessman who has "businesses" in Vietnam.

We won't question your "businesses" in Vietnam. I'm sure they are 100% legit and not defrauding Americans of jobs. LOL

Actually we make sneakers in Vietnam. I even been to many factories in Vietnam. Labor is indeed cheaper in Vietnam then China but it’s considersbably more tben your fake news. I have to design to cost in a lot of instances so I know the LOP’s. I see the labor costs. The reason most people produce in Vietnam is not the I cheaper labor. It’s because of favorable duty Vietnam enjoys. You want to see my passport and VISA’s?

Face it this whole thread is to espouse your political POV. It’s so transparent. I see you edited your Trump meme. Good move.

Plus Snopes really? When I see Snopes ior Breitbart as sources I tend to roll me eyes. Extreme left or right sources tend to bend and molest the truth to fit their story.

m

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Hobby Lobby!

• Options

@1970s said:

The United States, among most others. The wages in third world countries has increased much more. Average wages in Vietnam have increased about 300% in just the last decade.

The miracle of capitalism has occurred so many times, and helped so many billions of people, it is hard to imagine how anyone could will themselves not to see it, and yet here we are.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Justacommeman …...what is a "meme"? :/

• Options

@1970s said:
    That is correct. Minimum wage has risen from 5.25 in 1999 to 10+ today.

So if Vietnam has had a 300% raise in wages, these workers have risen from .20 cents
    to .80 cents (someone check my math).

Now let me know the cost of living in cost of living in Vietnam from 1999 to 2019 and
    we'll see how much these people have benefitted from their raises.

I didn't mention minimum wages, so I don't know what you're saying I was correct about. I was referring to what everyone earns, not just those with no marketable skills (the ones who make the minimum wage).

Also, the 300% increase in Vietnam was since 2008, not 1999. I couldn't find the data, but the increase since 1999 is probably closer to 1000%.

I don't know how much the cost of living has increased over that same period, but I also don't know why you want to change the subject to that. Oh wait, I do know why you want to change the subject. The premise of your OP lies dead at the side of the road, but you still haven't worked out all your hate for a company that has been an economic godsend to millions of the poorest people in the world. So now we're going to hate on them for raising the standard of living, in addition to raising wages. Well, you are. I and the others who aren't economically illiterate will find something else to do.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@erikthredd said:

@dallasactuary said:

@erikthredd said:

You keep using the phrase "slave labor". I do not think it means what you think it means. To the best of my knowledge, Nike does not use slave labor; they offer a wage and people line up for the opportunity to work for that wage. Clueless do-gooders in the West see a wage that they woiuldn't work for and decide it would be better for these people to starve to death, unseen, rather than have to read about it in a Western do-gooder publication where they erroneously refer to the practice of saving these people's lives as "slave labor".

Plus, I felt no need to stick to the "point" of the thread when its premise in the OP was a years-old tweet full of falsehoods that even the far-left Snopes.com saw fit to debunk.

I was not the first here to bring the phrase "slave labor" into this discussion and I admit maybe I did take it out of context. My comment about the "point" of this thread was in reference to this meme that the OP posted and you felt the need to ignore that part and focus on my use of that phrase :

All I was asking was why is this just a problem to him now when this has been going on for years with other player? That was the only point I was trying to make here. I'm bowing out of this conversation now because we all know why this topic was mentioned here and it had zero to do with Nike saving lives over in Asia.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019 5:06PM

Adidas man here, all the way.

To contribute to the other conver going on here, my team is global, with folks i directly work with in Costa Rica , Philippines, Canada, Poland, Germany, and Brazil, supporting employees in pretty much every country on the planet, with payroll/HR information as one of our main points of support.

Wages vary widely, what people don’t think about, because people are very short sighted, is cost of living variances. 20 grand in BS healthcare costs in the states translates to zero cost elsewhere. Mortgage or rent costs might be minimal or zero on legacy family properties. Food costs differ, utility costs differ, pick any other thing you want and they differ..wildly.

Every other country on the planet views a minimum wage as a starting point, not a lazyass excuse to try to build a multi-member family on and dictate government forced policy onto business. US people are high and mighty with their hearts, but flat out dipshit stupid with the global reality of business, science, math, finance, politics, and economics....and every other logic and fact based element of life for the most part.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    US people are high and mighty with their hearts, but flat out dipshit stupid with the global reality of business, science, math, finance, politics, and economics....and every other logic and fact based element of life for the most part.

The post before yours already proved this point, but it never hurts to have it restated by someone literate.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

There is a New Balance factory right around the corner from my house and I have an uncle that has been working there since the 70's. Between their yearly clearance sale and his employee discount I've bought quite a few pairs of their sneakers over the years at a great price.
    IMHO Asics and New Balance sneakers have been the most comfortable I've ever worn.

You must be from my neck of the woods. I get most of my sneakers from the Factory store during the August Sale. Bangor area for me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

am I missing the problem of the nike workforce being 80% female? what difference does that make?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

You must be from my neck of the woods. I get most of my sneakers from the Factory store during the August Sale. Bangor area for me.

I live 2 minutes away from the Lawrence,MA factory in North Andover.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    am I missing the problem of the nike workforce being 80% female? what difference does that make?

its a problem because he says so.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

Eric, I’m in Newburyport. We should catch a Pats game this fall somewhere in between

• Options

...and this thread has imme> @erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

It would be only 90 seconds away if you had better shoes. ;)

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

It is entertaining to watch 1970s, who literally knows nothing about Vietnam and the economy there other than a discredited, outrage provoking meme, continue to argue from his position of ignorance. The best part is that 1970s continues to double and triple down on his ignorance with each post. Only in a America could someone be so confident of their viewpoint yet know so little about what they are talking about.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    It is entertaining to watch 1970s, who literally knows nothing about Vietnam and the economy there other than a discredited, outrage provoking meme, continue to argue from his position of ignorance. The best part is that 1970s continues to double and triple down on his ignorance with each post. Only in a America could someone be so confident of their viewpoint yet know so little about what they are talking about.

Robb

no that pretty much happens everywhere

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

Oh, I go to the Skowhegan Maine factory outlet.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never bought a pair of expensive tennis shoes, the only one's I have heard of are the "Air Jordans".

I try to buy from outlet stores or check out the sales.

I don't understand why people buy things that they know are marked up 1,000 times.

Jeans are the same. I think it's hilarious that people pay good money for torn clothing, but as I have said before, I am old and probably suffer from dementia.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

whats so great about adidas ?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 2:42PM

@bronco2078 said:
    whats so great about adidas ?

For me, fit/comfort/style. Plus there’s an outlet store all of 5 mins from my house that’s runs ridiculous sales. Last pair I got a couple weeks ago was $22 out the door. Plus+, German.

• Options

I roll with the walmart velcro ever since Macklemore told me about em