Options

Mickey Mantle 500th Home Run.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 20, 2019 7:47PM in Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 7:55PM

Boy did they extremely shift Mantle or what? He looked liked in hurt every step he took

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Remarkable number of empty outfield seats at Yankee Stadium. Today they would bring $1000 a piece with everyone looking for an Ebay score.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Remarkable number of empty outfield seats at Yankee Stadium. Today they would bring $1000 a piece with everyone looking for an Ebay score.

Not a sellout either at YS the day Maris hit his 61st.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I like the way his head was down through the entire home run trot and return to the dugout, and there was no arm bashing or high fives. But because Mantle was an adulterer, I believe all his statues and monuments should be covered or removed from Yankee stadium and the hall of fame.

He certainly wasn't a good husband or father, but if you removed all the adulterers from the HOF it would be empty.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I like the way his head was down through the entire home run trot and return to the dugout, and there was no arm bashing or high fives. But because Mantle was an adulterer, I believe all his statues and monuments should be covered or removed from Yankee stadium and the hall of fame.

Don’t worry some woman will probably come along at some point and say he was inappropriate or sexually assaulted her in the 50’s and 60’s and his legacy will be destroyed 🙄

• Options

Where did the skinny ump come from? I remember them all to be Ron Luciano sized.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle hit that home run in May of 1967. I'm not sure what their record was in May, but in the 1966 season, the Yankees finished in last place in the American League. They finished with a dismal record in 1967 as well.

After many years of greatness, the Yankees at that point had nothing much to offer, other than a few old timers like Mantle and Whitey Ford, and no stars in the making. Just over hyped players like Tom Tresh who was going to be the "next Mickey Mantle", and wasn't.

Not a good scenario for drawing fans to the ballpark.

Other than a big record breaking event, stats such as this didn't draw as much fan interest back then. Not like today where every little stat in every sport, even that sets some sort of obscure record, gets dramatized by the media, mainly to draw attention to the media.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Mantle hit that home run in May of 1967. I'm not sure what their record was in May, but in the 1966 season, the Yankees finished in last place in the American League. They finished with a dismal record in 1967 as well.

After many years of greatness, the Yankees at that point had nothing much to offer, other than a few old timers like Mantle and Whitey Ford, and no stars in the making. Just over hyped players like Tom Tresh who was going to be the "next Mickey Mantle", and wasn't.

Not a good scenario for drawing fans to the ballpark.

Other than a big record breaking event, stats such as this didn't draw as much fan interest back then. Not like today where every little stat in every sport, even that sets some sort of obscure record, gets dramatized by the media, mainly to draw attention to the media.

No one knew then what 500 home run balls would fetch down the road. Just like no one knew what unopened wax packs or gem mint sportscards would bring 40 years later.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......