Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Grading? How does it work?

I had a few email exchanges with a PSA service rep, but it stalled out. Has anyone submitted cards for grading at PSA? My understanding and in the few exchanges, is to fill out the submission form, underestimate the card value, send the card, they will grade.

If the card worth is over my estimation they will charge me the difference in submission price. Submission price can be $20 to $1000. I am looking to get like 5-7 basketball cards graded. The highest estimate I would put on one is $200. So probably submitted under the regular $20 submission.

Will they grade my card and give me an approximate worth? I know trading cards worth is based on the consumer and fluctuates, but I would like an estimate. Does any of this sound right?

Tagged:

Comments

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    I had a few email exchanges with a PSA service rep, but it stalled out. Has anyone submitted cards for grading at PSA? My understanding and in the few exchanges, is to fill out the submission form, underestimate the card value, send the card, they will grade.

If the card worth is over my estimation they will charge me the difference in submission price. Submission price can be $20 to $1000. I am looking to get like 5-7 basketball cards graded. The highest estimate I would put on one is $200. So probably submitted under the regular $20 submission.

Will they grade my card and give me an approximate worth? I know trading cards worth is based on the consumer and fluctuates, but I would like an estimate. Does any of this sound right?

Is that a serious question or are you just messing with us? Lol, couldn't help myself.
    Most everyone here has probably submitted cards at one time or another if not all the time. Fill out the online submission form, value the card at replacement cost and if it ends up being worth drastically more, they will contact you and charge you the next service level. As stated in many other posts, DO NOT overestimate the value of the card.
    No, they will not give you an estimate of the value of the card. You can use PSA's APR or VCP or even Ebay's completed auctions to see what your cards may be worth.
    Best of luck with your subs!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • HAHA, I figured everyone has submitted a card. Thanks for the clarity.

• AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

Just be prepared to be disappointed with the results.

• AANV> @AANV said:

Just be prepared to be disappointed with the results.

How so? With the value they put or the grading #?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he means not to expect too much on either. Sometimes we might expect a card to grade a 9 or 10, and psa might not see it as a 9 or 10. Stuff like that.

• @doubledragon said:
    I think he means not to expect too much on either. Sometimes we might expect a card to grade a 9 or 10, and psa might not see it as a 9 or 10. Stuff like that.

Thanks. That's what I figured. I guess I have one last question hopefully and everyone can pipe up. Haha

I have cards that I believe I'd like to get graded but it's $20 to grade and the card may only be worth $1-5. I think I'm not looking up my card correctly. I know that most cards are worth or on eBay or another auction site for $1-5. I some Jordans, Kobe rookie, Favre, Montana. That I believe could be more than the $1-5 I've seen on eBay or something like that.

Is there a more accurate place to look at? Should I just type in the card to google and see what it goes for on eBay, etc and average that price to what the card may be worth? It's all a little overwhelming. Thanks everyone for the help.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well personally, when I'm curious about a cards value I will go to Ebay and see what the card is selling for, just to get a estimate of its value. You can also google it, and see what comes up. Yes, it can be overwhelming.

• remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@Dgoldfe13 said:

@doubledragon said:

Thanks. That's what I figured. I guess I have one last question hopefully and everyone can pipe up. Haha

I have cards that I believe I'd like to get graded but it's $20 to grade and the card may only be worth $1-5. I think I'm not looking up my card correctly. I know that most cards are worth or on eBay or another auction site for $1-5. I some Jordans, Kobe rookie, Favre, Montana. That I believe could be more than the $1-5 I've seen on eBay or something like that.

Is there a more accurate place to look at? Should I just type in the card to google and see what it goes for on eBay, etc and average that price to what the card may be worth? It's all a little overwhelming. Thanks everyone for the help.

Depends on your reasons for grading. If you are grading to increase value, then the only way you will do that on a $1-$5 card is if it gets a gem mint 10.

As others said, search eBay SOLD listings. For instance, If its a 1986 topps Joe Montana then search 1986 topps joe montana psa or sgc That will give an idea of what varying grades go for.

• I guess where I get lost is when I have a card and I google or search on ebay and the purchase price is so different. For example, I have the 1989-90 Hoops David Robinson SP #138 BCCG Grade 9. But there are so many different prices. I guess the overall take away from this search is that, it's not a high priced card. Haha

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    I guess where I get lost is when I have a card and I google or search on ebay and the purchase price is so different. For example, I have the 1989-90 Hoops David Robinson SP #138 BCCG Grade 9. But there are so many different prices. I guess the overall take away from this search is that, it's not a high priced card. Haha

You need to look at sold listings. Anyone can ask any amount they want. And those cards are 3 different grading companies. PSA, sgc, and to a lesser degree, Beckett, are the big dogs.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is some completed sales for a PSA 9 of this card. PSA 10's sell right around 100.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgoldfe13 said:

How so? With the value they put or the grading #?

Once again: PSA will not attempt to assign a value to your cards.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you need to get into a bulk submission where it's only $8 per card

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Since BccG is a mediocre grading scale although it is under Beckett. Should I get it re-graded by PSA or just leave it?

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    Since BccG is a mediocre grading scale although it is under Beckett. Should I get it re-graded by PSA or just leave it?

What are you referring to? The David Robinson? That bccg Robinson graded a 9 was $17. I did a quick search on eBay and found PSA 9s for $15. It doesn't make sense to pay $17 then $20 go have it regraded for it to still be a psa 9. If you are wanting a 10 just pony up and pay the $75-$100 for it.

• @remedylane said:

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    Since BccG is a mediocre grading scale although it is under Beckett. Should I get it re-graded by PSA or just leave it?

What are you referring to? The David Robinson? That bccg Robinson graded a 9 was $17. I did a quick search on eBay and found PSA 9s for $15. It doesn't make sense to pay $17 then $20 go have it regraded for it to still be a psa 9. If you are wanting a 10 just pony up and pay the $75-$100 for it.

Sorry, no, I wouldn't get it regraded. That was a silly question. But I am guessing that PSA is a better trusted grading company than BCCG. I have seen items graded by BccG and then PSA for the same card and the same grade and PSA have a higher worth. I think that is what I meant. If I wanted a higher worth, would it make sense to get it regraded by PSA. But besides that, I wouldn't get it regraded. But you personally would get something graded by PSA over Beckett? Not BccG but Beckett BGS?

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'll bite.

1) Forget BCCG. It's not respected. BGS is the more respected part of that company.
    2) The card will have more value in a PSA slab than a BCCG slab, but it will only be worth grading it if it comes back a 10, as remedylane stated.
    3) If you want a 10, then buy it already graded as Dgoldfe13 said.
    4) In the future, if you grade any cards, send them to PSA or BGS (SGC is more popular with pre-war cards).

• @skrezyna23 said:
    Okay, I'll bite.

1) Forget BCCG. It's not respected. BGS is the more respected part of that company.
    2) The card will have more value in a PSA slab than a BCCG slab, but it will only be worth grading it if it comes back a 10, as remedylane stated.
    3) If you want a 10, then buy it already graded as Dgoldfe13 said.
    4) In the future, if you grade any cards, send them to PSA or BGS (SGC is more popular with pre-war cards).

Haha, thanks for your input. Hard to know what is a 10 but I think I can make the judgement call. I will only consider PSA and BGS. I have some graded by BccG and you are correct, the slab just looks cheap. I guess it will also be a judgement call and money call to get those actually re-graded. But only if they are a 10. Thanks everyone for the help. I feel more comfortable with the cards and grading.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Resale value and slab appearance aside, keep in mind that the numeric values of BCCG mean different things than the same numeric value in PSA. PSA 10 is the top of the line, whereas BCCG 10 is “Mint or better”. Not sure if this is accurate anymore, but you can use it to “map” your BCCG grades over to BGS: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220046

Jim

• GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Hard to know what is a 10 but I think I can make the judgement call.

If thats the case you should become a grader. The grading companies can't get it straight as a 9 becomes a 10 and an 8 becomes a nine often.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

There are some pretty good experts here that have a really good track record of picking the gems, but I think a lot of us are still surprised at the grades we get from time to time.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black