Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about reviewing or reslabbing a PSA 9 OC

Have a PSA 9 OC card in a very old slab from the 90s. I want to reslab it at worst and at best want them to review it and change it to an 8 with no qualifier. Card is the most centered OC I have ever seen in my life!

Do I just send them an email?

Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Options

You would need to submit the card as a review... Specify 'no qualifier' and a minimum grade of 8.

Also specify that, if it doesn't pass as an 8, that you want it reholdered.

Those of us who submit a lot may be able to save you a few bucks (and a few months)... Post a scan of it on here and we'll tell you if you have a realistic shot at a straight 8.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scan isn't great but I can easily see that in an 8 holder. Appears the corners and edges are very solid. Nice card.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Those are pictures, my scanner sucks. This picture is from a scan if it helps more.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

There are 8's which look far worse than that card. Very nice go for it!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has to be a mistake, there is no way it is OC. The centering by my measurements is better than 60/40 and should be good enough for a straight 9 based on the centering alone.

• Options

It's got a shot, but in my experience, not a good one... First, the centering is off in two directions, not just one... The s/s centering isn't bad (probably good enough for an 8), but the t/b centering is off quite a bit (when I measure it on my screen, I come up with 62/38 t/b centering)... Sure, I've also seen 8s with worse centering than this, but that's not a relevant point; the only thing that matters is what the graders would do with THIS card, not what they did with a random card 15 years ago... Second, PSA is always a bit tighter when grading key cards, and especially with high-profile HOF rookie cards... This may technically be a borderline case, but I doubt it would get into an 8 holder.

My educated guess is that they'd either give it a 7 or keep it a 9 OC... I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see from a neutral point of view.

On the bright side, you should be able to sell it for more than the average 9 OC, so keep that in mind too.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the hologram on the back it appears to have been certified prior to half grade increments. To me, this card should have a good chance at an 8, with a possibility of an 8.5 (no qualifiers)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Jordan.🖒

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    That has to be a mistake, there is no way it is OC. The centering by my measurements is better than 60/40 and should be good enough for a straight 9 based on the centering alone.

It certainly looks as good as some of the 9s I've seen. I just think unless I were to crack it out there is no chance of a 9. Seems like they'd be less willing to admit their mistake and change the grade that drastically.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 12:47PM

Your centering looks almost the same (mirror image both ways) as this PSA 8.5. Yours looks like it has less print dots than the actual 8.5 (half fisheye in the blue nameplate area, and few other print dots along the borders of the actual 8.5)

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

I concur. No way that should be designated oc.

• Options

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you guys are nuts saying that cards has a shot at a straight 9... The t/b centering alone disqualifies it from a 9.

JewVol, please let us know what happens with this card... I'm curious.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think you guys are nuts saying that cards has a shot at a straight 9... The t/b centering alone disqualifies it from a 9.

I got exactly 60/40 when I measured it T/B. But if you’re right, there is absolutely nothing that should keep it from a straight 8. 62/38 is not borderline for an 8, it’s almost good enough for a 9.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

I got exactly 60/40 when I measured it T/B. But if you’re right, there is absolutely nothing that should keep it from a straight 8. 62/38 is not borderline for an 8, it’s almost good enough for a 9.

I got a little worse than 60/40, but that's really not the point... PSA uses those measurements as a guideline only, and often deviates from them for key cards... A few years ago, I submitted a Bobby Orr RC and they contacted me saying it was getting an 8 OC... I reminded them that I submitted it with 'no qualifiers', so they had to re-examine it... When they got back to me, they said it just barely missed the qualifications for a straight 7, and they were giving it a 6... I argued that if it just missed a 7, why is it not a 6.5?? They said that, because it was a key HOF rookie card, they were being a bit tougher on it and the 'eye appeal test' told them it was a 6.

Like I said above, you have to consider that the Jordan is o/c in BOTH directions... Even if the rest of the card is perfect, the eye appeal tells me they're going to be tough on it... An 8 is a possibility, but my guess is 7-7.5.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

while it “looks” like an 8, I just don’t see them giving the most iconic modern basketball card a straight up 8 from a 9OC on review. Maybe I’m a pessimist but I just can’t see them doing that regardless of how nice the card is. And it is nice.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    while it “looks” like an 8, I just don’t see them giving the most iconic modern basketball card a straight up 8 from a 9OC on review. Maybe I’m a pessimist but I just can’t see them doing that regardless of how nice the card is. And it is nice.

Those are my concerns as well. Like their pride wont let them do it. Worth a shot I guess. Would increase the value by 1 to 2k

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your Jordan PSA 8 is OC then I am guessing this PSA 9 Chamberlain should be.

• Options

@JBrules said:
    If your Jordan PSA 8 is OC then I am guessing this PSA 9 Chamberlain should be.

PSAs centering guidelines have tightened up considerably in the past 11+ years since that Chamberlain was graded... Don't crack it out!!

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I see that in a straight 8 for sure.
    Nice card.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

Woops. I'm saying straight 8. I do not think it has a shot at a 9. I was agreeing with the fact that it should not have been labeled oc

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

I got a little worse than 60/40, but that's really not the point... PSA uses those measurements as a guideline only, and often deviates from them for key cards... A few years ago, I submitted a Bobby Orr RC and they contacted me saying it was getting an 8 OC... I reminded them that I submitted it with 'no qualifiers', so they had to re-examine it... When they got back to me, they said it just barely missed the qualifications for a straight 7, and they were giving it a 6... I argued that if it just missed a 7, why is it not a 6.5?? They said that, because it was a key HOF rookie card, they were being a bit tougher on it and the 'eye appeal test' told them it was a 6.

Like I said above, you have to consider that the Jordan is o/c in BOTH directions... Even if the rest of the card is perfect, the eye appeal tells me they're going to be tough on it... An 8 is a possibility, but my guess is 7-7.5.

That's crazy to me that they would flat out say they were being tougher on the card because it's a key HOF rookie. I would have been pissed.

To me, the grade should be what it is regardless of what the card is. If they aren't more lenient on 100 year old tobacco cards, then why be more harsh on a HOF rookie?