Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

On PWCC And Their Shipping Fees

I love PWCC and their business model, almost everything about it, right down to every new advancement and every little detail on shipping and handling...except for the huge difference in each card's shipping cost.
$1000.00 card? 15 bucks shipping
$1000.00 card 40 bucks shipping
$900.00 card 4.50 shipping
Happening right now. I was charged 12 bucks for three cards. I asked for combined shipping and waited days for an answer but to no avail so I just paid it because I love PWCC but I am getting a sour taste with these all over the map shipping charges.
Anybody else or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes. Good ol' shipping costs. "We can ship this card to you, but we'll have to break your thumbs first."

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Ah yes. Good ol' shipping costs. "We can ship this card to you, but we'll have to break your thumbs first."

Admit it man. Your wife broke both of your thumbs so you couldn't hide any more cards... didn't she?

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

Admit it man. Your wife broke both of your thumbs so you couldn't hide any more cards... didn't she?

She hasn't gotten to my thumbs yet, but if I get caught and break my probation, I just might get my coconuts cracked.😉

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed that as well. I recently purchased a $4,000 card that they charged $40 for shipping and it did not arrive next day air. I was a little surprised since I have mailed expensive cards USPS next day air for under $40.

Robb

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Insurance, salary, warehouse space, supplies and equipment add up. Not to mention the shipping cost.

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

Rawhide! Hey ya! Get them doggies movin'! Hey ya!

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of their shipping charges. Too excessive in my opinion.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Another pwcc thread. Hmmm

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 1:16PM

They make money off shipping, no doubt. It's part of their business model I'm sure.

The money they save from "self insuring" vs. buying insurance on every package more than offsets the occasional lost package they have to eat. That spread plus the spread they make in actual vs. paid shipping adds to their profit. And they probably have a cheap blanket policy as well.

They disclose the shipping, so there's nothing unsavory about it. I know what I'm getting. But don't think for a second this is a break even service--it's not.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

The significantly higher shipping is something that changed in the last year or two. I have some older invoices for $4k+ cards from them where I was charged $8.00 or $14.50 for shipping. I am sure they figured out that people that are dropping thousands on a card are not going to sweat $30 or $40 in shipping and handling charges.

Robb

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 1:55PM

@thunderdan said:
    They make money off shipping, no doubt. It's part of their business model I'm sure.

The money they save from "self insuring" vs. buying insurance on every package more than offsets the occasional lost package they have to eat. That spread plus the spread they make in actual vs. paid shipping adds to their profit. And they probably have a cheap blanket policy as well.

They disclose the shipping, so there's nothing unsavory about it. I know what I'm getting. But don't think for a second this is a break even service--it's not.

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

You are not looking at the overall difference in shipping! If PWCC wants to make money on overshipping then why charge $4.50 for a thousand dollar card? There is an $8,000 card being auctioned off with $6.00 shipping! I see a $100 card with eight dollar shipping! Why are they all over the map on shipping?
    Do they throw a dart blindfolded on a shipping cost chart and charge whatever (I can see them laughing!).

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

They list an estimated shipping amount based on where they think the item will close. But they are often wrong. When they are wrong, the shipping gets adjusted in invoice and is in exact accordance with their shipping fee table which is disclosed in product description

• Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Complete BS, I won an auction of (8) individual cards. I was charged $8 A CARD shippimg, NO COMBINED SHIPPING!

Did I receive 8 separate packages? NOPE! 1 package with 8 cards, $64.00. Lesson learned, I'll leave there auction to others!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigRed7 said:
    Complete BS, I won an auction of (8) individual cards. I was charged $8 A CARD shippimg, NO COMBINED SHIPPING!

Did I receive 8 separate packages? NOPE! 1 package with 8 cards, $64.00. Lesson learned, I'll leave there auction to others!

My experience when winning multiple cards is they always send an invoice for combined shipping. Per their website if the 8 cards you purchased were 2000 it would cost $25 in shipping. Curious if your purchase of 8 cards cost more than $2000?

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Just think of the shipping costs akin to the buyers premium you’d pay in a typical auction. The house is making money on you and you know it up front. They call it shipping, but it ain’t shipping.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@BigRed7 said:

My experience when winning multiple cards is they always send an invoice for combined shipping. Per their website if the 8 cards you purchased were 2000 it would cost $25 in shipping. Curious if your purchase of 8 cards cost more than $2000?

This

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

She hasn't gotten to my thumbs yet, but if I get caught and break my probation, I just might get my coconuts cracked.😉

B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-pagxVtms