Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay bin or bo rant

Getting on a soap box. Why even post a best offer if you are only discounting $2 on a $75 card.
Plus trying to set a new VCP all time high sale record for the card. Won’t even budge. Cough jlscards if you are out there I tried messaging you with no response.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2 off $75. That is better than I get sometimes.. :neutral:

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah that's lame. As a seller, I'll go 20%. I'll go more if the card is tough to move.

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I’m getting tired of sellers with all their listings priced 40% above VCP. It’s ridiculous. Makes Some well known auctioneers seem like a bargain.

• Options

This is what happens when there isn’t enough vintage supply out there. High BIN’s. Everyone competes for the 1-2 auctions that might pop up in a month.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Ebay. Sure, we can sell you this card, but we'll have to break your thumbs first.

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

A list would be great and if more sellers would put their email address and/or info about our BST board in the package for future reference. I think eventually the word would get around.

• Options

A 4th issue 50 cent note listed bin/no 150 I offer 130 and get a counter at 140, I message back that 130 really is my best offer. He rejects it and says it is because of ebay fees. Two days later, same note, same seller with sale price of 127.50 - go figure. By then I had made an alternate purchase. He lost a sale even though it was an offer obviously above his floor.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I have had sellers list BO and come back with BIN price and reject anything under that.
    I guess it's not up to me to figure out people.

It is getting common for some sellers (the same ones) selling low quality for the grade at 25-50% more than VCP.

This is just part of the reason PWCC has taken off.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I agree about the part on ebay fees. At 12.9% for most sellers, plus a cut of the shipping, a $100 card needs to be a $113 card to just get what you normally would.

As for the BIN/BO part, I agree completely. Someone listed a card I wanted for $150 or BO, then average sell price had been in the $125 range, so I offer $125, it is rejected and is countered with $145. If thats the difference, then go ahead and put it up for $145 to begin with. Ironically, he lowered it to a BIN with no BO option at $140 two days later

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:
    Getting on a soap box. Why even post a best offer if you are only discounting $2 on a $75 card.
    Plus trying to set a new VCP all time high sale record for the card. Won’t even budge. Cough jlscards if you are out there I tried messaging you with no response.

Vcp is a guide. There is no law saying a seller shall price at or below vcp. I remind that to many buyers. Buy the card, not the holder...

And if the seller won't sell the card to youx just move on. Many alternatives exist in the market.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2019 1:57PM

@HighGradeLegends said:

@akuracy503 said:

Vcp is a guide. There is no law saying a seller shall price at or below vcp. I remind that to many buyers. Buy the card, not the holder...

And if the seller won't sell the card to youx just move on. Many alternatives exist in the market.

40% above the highest sale recorded by VCP is not justified. If you are one of these sellers remind me to block you as it's a waste of everyone's time to filter these sellers out of the market. There are enough rip offs on eBay.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

@akuracy503 said:

40% above the highest sale recorded by VCP is not justified. If you are one of these sellers remind me to block you as it's a waste of everyone's time to filter these sellers out of the market. There are enough rip offs on eBay.

Came in a little hot!!

While I hate seeing the ridiculous BIN prices, it's easy to ignore them. Funny thing about this market is that a seller may have listed it 40% over VCP but in 3 months that could be the average price and it doesn't get updated due to the volume of listings the seller may have.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Oh it's not my intention to be over the top in my response here. I just prefer to see a showcase of cards sitting in a flicker account vs on ebay with a....you know where i'm getting at.

We are not even talking just straight BIN's here. If you've got OBO options and only entertain 2% discount why waste the energy and time. It's asinine.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought that if I asked for 10% off as a BO?

Fair. No?

I guess not.

Here's one I always get a kick out of - many of those who have been around a long time remember Polo Grounds from SCD. Well SCD is still alive and so is the Polo Grounds.

Ya know - "cards so clean you can eat of them"

Also, I'm sure you all know they're "old school" graders. So what they call Nmmt? You would call Exmt - perhaps at best?

Here's a real head scratcher.

Look at the asking prices for the "Mint" Clemente and what they're asking for the PSA 8?

Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have "Best Offer" on all of my Ebay listings. Accepting or rejecting a best offer can depend on any number of factors.

Here are a few scenarios:

For good repeat customers, I usually automatically accept their reasonable best offer.

Someone who lowballs me with their best offer, I reject it once or a few times, and then comes back up to a reasonable offer, i usually don't take it, even if it's just a dollar or two off the buy it now price. I have found over the years too many of these buyers to be problematic after the sale.

Any potential buyer who "comments" about why don't i take their offer, gets immediately blocked. If they can't understand that it's just business, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to them.

Most of the time the buyer just clicks "Buy It Now" anyway. So i figure why bother with a possible aggravating customer when there are millions more potential good customers out there. :)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have minimal experience selling, and almost never bother with making a best offer, so really no personal experience to draw from, but I believe the "best offer" listings were a topic covered in a previous thread (maybe 4-6 months ago?). Multiple sellers mentioned that eBay was practically forcing them to list with a "best offer" option, even though they had no intent of taking a penny less than their originally entered BIN price? I'm a little hazy on the details, but I believe that was the summary of the seller's side of this matter. Perhaps that's the cause of your "reasonable offers" being declined or ignored?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

@akuracy503 said:

Um, ok.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can say that I just listed a few things over the normal sales prices. Wasn't because I expect to get it, but because there was a selling promotion where I get 25% off final value fees if listed by yesterday. Wasn't sure if I wanted to sell a couple of them but figured I will have them listed under the promo and can lower the price later if needed.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 watchers on a card but nobody buying? 4 watchers on a coin and it's going to sell

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    30 watchers on a card but nobody buying? 4 watchers on a coin and it's going to sell

I watch many items I have no interest in buying, sometimes just to see if someone is crazy enough to pay the asking price on something I already own in similar grade/condition.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 10:14AM

Personally, if I am after a rare card and I see that it's being watched, I'm afraid that I have no choice but to pounce on it like a cat pouncing on a smart-mouthed mouse. I just can't take the chance that the watcher will turn into the buyer.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Polo Grounds, I bought a lot of cards from them that came back EOT when I got around to grading them

• Options

Thanks for the input guys. Just my perspective and opinion on the subject. Nobody is wrong. Sellers have every right to set their own asking prices. Just wish there could be a way to filter FMV cards. Would save me a lot of time personally.