Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How does this kind of bidder last?

Makes no sense....

The odds this is a real bidder?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple, eBay doesn't care. It's probably a group of real bidders, just not necessarily ones who want to win.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay = Money talks, everything else walks.😉

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid retractions should not be allowed. That is ridiculous.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Bid retractions should not be allowed. That is ridiculous.

I mostly agree with this. If I think hard enough I might be able to come up with a valid reason to retract a bid, but once they allow retractions at all it is a slippery slope. 60 bid retractions in 6 months should raise some red flags but unfortunately nobody seems to care. Maybe a special icon next to the person's name that shows they have a lot of bid retractions. Make the information more visible kind of like the feedback and the problem might take care of itself.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 4:51PM

A couple years ago I saw a bidder with 800 retractions while I was looking at final bids for an auction. For the next couple months I kept checking their retractions. It got up to over 2000 before I stopped checking.

• Options

You can't just disallow bid retractions... The alternative is for the buyer to be forced to follow through with an item they no longer want, and return it as soon as they receive it... That would be even worse.

While some of these serial bid retractors are surely up to no good, many of them are just stupid people... Harmless, but stupid nonetheless.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    You can't just disallow bid retractions... The alternative is for the buyer to be forced to follow through with an item they no longer want, and return it as soon as they receive it... That would be even worse.

While some of these serial bid retractors are surely up to no good, many of them are just stupid people... Harmless, but stupid nonetheless.

Yes you can, and ebay certainly should. It's certainly NOT harmless to retract your bid, if you can't see that, you must not understand auctions.

In a REAL auction, if you bid (and you don't get asked if you really meant to bid) you are expected to honor that bid, otherwise DON'T BID.

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    eBay financially benefits from shill bidders.

THIS^

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set