Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Rare Severus Alexander Tetradrachm

A rare tetradrachm of Severus Alexander I acquired.

Severus Alexander (222 - 235 A.D.)
Egypt, Alexandria
Billon Tetradrachm
O: Α ΚΑΙ ΜΑΡ ΑΥΡ СƐΥ ΑΛƐΞΑΝΔΡΟС ƐΥ laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander, r., seen from rear.
R: Nilus bust r., draped and wearing lotus wreath; to l., cornucopia on shoulder, r.; in front, palm branch L I = 10
Alexandria Mint
23mm
13.7g
Emmett 3122.10 (R3), Milne 3031; Dattari 4331

Rare

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

I see ancients don't get much love still, that's why I stopped posting them here but thought this would get some replies.

Will continue to post the new stuff on cointalk and just reply to other posts here, o well. :/

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Nice! Here's the entry for the type for the upcoming RPC VI which will cover the coinage (among others) for Severus Alexander:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/10417/

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 12:49PM

@bronzemat said:
    Thanks.

I see ancients don't get much love still, that's why I stopped posting them here but thought this would get some replies.

Will continue to post the new stuff on cointalk and just reply to other posts here, o well. :/

It used to be fun seeing your ancients posted here @bronzemat
    My latest courtesy @CuKevin

I love that Billon Tet!
    Well done

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismagram said:
    Nice! Here's the entry for the type for the upcoming RPC VI which will cover the coinage (among others) for Severus Alexander:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/10417/

That's how I had to attribute mine was that link.

@Swampboy said:

@bronzemat said:
    Thanks.

It used to be fun seeing your ancients posted here @bronzemat
    My latest courtesy @CuKevin

I love that Billon Tet!
    Well done

Nice silver!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 1980s I had a small collection of Roman Egypt Tetradrachms. At the time there seemed to be very little interest in them. I always liked the fact that they could be dated to a very specific period. I wish I hadn't sold them. :(

All glory is fleeting.