Home U.S. Coin Forum

With Five Days to go, this Morgan in PO1 is selling for double MS66 money!

2»

Comments

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

People!
    Its a new trend:
    Buy the slab, not the coin.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 7:58PM

I was able to put together a set of FA2 P01CC Morgan’s before the low ball craze you should have seen the dealers looks I got it was funny Northern Navada coins was my main source for many of them they had a wonderful selection of well worn coins now they are super hard to find Undamaged.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    “This 1878 eight tail feathers Morgan dollar, graded PCGS PO-1 (none worse!)

none worse is hilarious but true!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1905-O Barber Half like that. What is it worth??

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes Coin collecting is losing some money and other times it is this:

• acsbacsb Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 8:48PM

Since the same buyer has the top three bids, it might be fun to bid him up by the min increment just to get in second place.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I think a lot of collectors swimming at this end of the pool will drown in the end. What are the bragging rights afforded to those who have the worst examples of a given coin? I mean... really.
    The only possible reason I could see for paying a premium on this coin would be to put together a grading set

Collectors seek out low grade coins because they are actually very difficult to find. Then again, so is someone with leprosy.

@ARCO said:

@DCW said:
    I think a lot of collectors swimming at this end of the pool will drown in the end. What are the bragging rights afforded to those who have the worst examples of a given coin? I mean... really.
    The only possible reason I could see for paying a premium on this coin would be to put together a grading set

Collectors seek out low grade coins because they are actually very difficult to find. Then again, so is someone with leprosy.

It's a lot easier to find a 90% silver lowball than a clad lowball. I've looked for some of these and 90% silver doesn't seem overly difficult but perhaps I'm missing something here.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I tried to make sense of this a few days ago, but with a population of five for the state and grade it just doesn’t make any sense.

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I just had an idea! One of my many either incredibly brilliant or utterly stupid ideas!
    A "first grade" registry set. PCGS issues "First Grade" slabs to the first coin submitted that gets a specific grade. Collectors chase the empty slots in the pop report. 1880/79 $1 Rev of 78 in AU53 for example - pop 0. Be the first! 1890-S $1 in VF25 - crack out that EF40 and stick it in your pocket! Resubmit, repeat until you win. If you overdo it, VF20 is also open. There must be hundreds of pop 0 slots to go for.
    OK, maybe I need to keep my beer ideas to myself. It just seems like if people are chasing the top slots and the bottom slots, why not chase the middle slots?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I have a 1905-O Barber Half like that. What is it worth??

Not much over melt.
    Barber coins are very common in extreme low grades.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the nice coins they could buy they bid on this. Figures...

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I agree with the grade! But the 1878, above, deserves a CAC sticker! Hard to imagine a lower graded 1 than that.

Tom

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite education, stupid money remains the same.

• MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Just letting you know I am accepting consignments <3

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 6:03PM

And the lowball is going for more than this one. Edited to add: Was going for more

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-1880-s-NGC-MS67-Star-Superb-Gem-Rainbow-Toned-Morgan-Dollar-ap2037/333160159880?hash=item4d91e49a88:g:thsAAOSwVq9ctkw3

@MrD Your link by your logo is dead, might want to look into it. :)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suppose I sent my Barber quarter To be graded at PCGS and there was a 'new' 'scratch' on the "poor" coin, would it come back as ..................POOR DETAILS, Damaged ???? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny how "collect what you like and makes you happy" becomes "What idiot pays that?" when it comes to lowball coins. There is competition in all aspects of collecting.

Collector, occasional seller

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Funny how "collect what you like and makes you happy" becomes "What idiot pays that?" when it comes to lowball coins. There is competition in all aspects of collecting.

I agree with what you are saying Chris, but this is on the far side of reality .

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

Well said.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough of this and the bad guys will begin to make these. I expect it's a bit easier to turn a 10 into a 1 than it is to turn a 63 into a 66. It would be fun to put a type set of these together, but at prices commensurate with the beauty of the coin and completeness of the design. "To each his own". "Live and let live". "He's entitled to his opinion". Nice sentiments but nuts is nuts. In my opinion.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has broken $1k.

Collector, occasional seller

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of reminds me of a ultramodern in a 70 grade that you just waiting for someone else to dig out of their mint sealed box, send it in and get the same “magic” low pop grade.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell you with great certainty that it is much more difficult to find Poor CC dollars than MS CC dollars. It's not always the money as MS would blow my pocketbook but the challenge is the big part of the fun. I know that most think of them as slugs or dreck or whatever but when you sell a Poor for almost two grand you feel real good about spending the grading fees. My lowball CC collection is almost 100% made by me and it was not easy or quick to get where I am....but sure is fun!!
    bob :)
    PS: just sold a 1876cc Half dollar, PO01, for $150 and it was just in my junk pile before sending to PCGS.....that felt good, cherrying myself!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@MrD said:
    Just letting you know I am accepting consignments <3

Good job :)

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

More evidence there is a lot of room to go before the coin "market" hits bottom.

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

I’m staying in the “buy the best that you can afford” camp rather than “buy the worst that you can afford” camp.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file