Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I think I have a Spanish pieces of eight

I can’t see a date on the coin but the images are clear on front and back . On the back I believe it has L4 on one side and HP on the other I’m new to all of this and just want to make sure it is what I think it is any help appreciated.

Comments

• Options

• Options

I’m sorry it’s a PD or PO on one side the right

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid it looks to be a copy. :(

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

This unfortunately does appear to be a copy.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

How can you tell if it’s a copy?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you didn't buy that thing. Time to study up on what you might be interested in collecting. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Well it was in a box of pendants that I got and I wasn’t sure what it was so I looked on EBay and it looked like the pieces of eight coins I’m new to collecting and am just wondering how you tell they are copies?

• Options

I do appreciate your answers though thank you 😊

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 7:10PM

The original pieces of eight were crudely minted. The planchets were cut from the ends of silver bars and stamped with a hammer and die. Your coin looks like it was made with modern technology.

• Options

Thank you

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours has a similarity to modern copies found in tourist gift shops and museums. One of mine is marked COPY which complies with the hobby law, but many don't have these marks.