Home Q & A Forum
Options

Anyone know who made this George Washington Medal?

I bought this medal a few months ago thinking it was something I could make some money on. I thought it looked like a Lovett medal. Nope, I can't even figure out who made it. :D Initials under Georges' neck are EAK and on the reverse under the building are the same initials EAK. Anyone know anything about it? :)

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fretboard

So many were made and so many were made by many different people.

So far no luck in finding any information on your specific token/medal; but there are many variations.

Someone may have an idea and post.

• Options
    fretboardfretboard Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

Information appreciated! Yes, hopefully someone will know! :)

• Options
    edited April 16, 2019 6:31AM

Found some good info on Washington tokens from University of Notre Dame.

May have missed it but did not see any exact matches.

https://coins.nd.edu/WashToken/

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal type? Size and weight please. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Dang, I can't believe I left off this important information. :D This is a political token and it looks like it's made of bronze, it's size is 25.5mm and it weighs 7.6 grams. I hope this helps.

• Options

Is it magnetic? If so, then it's not bronze. I find the profile to be unusual. That might be a key clue. Go to medalartiists.com to see that EAK are attributed to Kuchler, Conrad heinrich circa. 1740-1810. Might be a restrike of an oldie. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I misspelled medalartists.com. I also just realized that profile head is actually of George III. So it's kinda a spoof. The plot thickens. Google Kuchler medals and you'll see what I mean.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 12:42PM

The image is George Washington!!!
    The medal is listed as Baker E1805 (Brass). It was made by E.A. Kretschman, Phila.

• Options

Those initials were bugging me! Thanks @Insider2.

• Options

Wow! You rock, I got the answer, now I have another to ask about. ~Cheers! :D

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fretboard said:
    Wow! You rock, I got the answer, now I have another to ask about. ~Cheers! :D

I'm going to let you do the hard work first. As a start, Type in the words on your token into a search engine like Google or Bing and check out the images. That will often work. :)