Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Cherrywood Collection of Chinese patterns

What a great discovery!

Untouched for over a century and housed in a cherrywood box for the last 50 years, the collection of 26 coins includes extremely rare patterns issued by China from 1906 to 1911.
One other important aspect to the Cherrywood Collection is the originality. The coins exhibit original toning with their original luster from the small envelopes they were housed in for the past 50+ years. They have an original “glow” that is so often desired, but so rarely encountered.

Amazing set. @ianrussell - any additional historic background on these? How were they assembled to begin with?

Link to the auction for those with deep pockets: Click Me

Best Answers

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    What a great discovery!

Untouched for over a century and housed in a cherrywood box for the last 50 years, the collection of 26 coins includes extremely rare patterns issued by China from 1906 to 1911.
    One other important aspect to the Cherrywood Collection is the originality. The coins exhibit original toning with their original luster from the small envelopes they were housed in for the past 50+ years. They have an original “glow” that is so often desired, but so rarely encountered.

Amazing set. @ianrussell - any additional historic background on these? How were they assembled to begin with?

Link to the auction for those with deep pockets: Click Me

They were discovered on the East Coast. I believe they were originally presented to the family intact, but since it's multi-generations ago, I am only speculating. Amazing coins. We displayed them at the Hong Kong Show two weeks ago - people flew in from multiple countries to view them.

13 coins sold last night, and the remaining 13 coins sell this coming Sunday. One coin selling this Sunday is already bid over $350,000 (new company record for a single item).

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

13 coins sold last night, and the remaining 13 coins sell this coming Sunday. One coin selling this Sunday is already bid over $350,000 (new company record for a single item).

• Ian

Large Tailed Dragon Dollar Pattern hammered over $511,000 with BP with my favorite of the lot, the Silver Long Whiskered Dragon Pattern, bringing-in the second highest price of just short of $200,000.

Congrats again, @ianrussell - and if there was a catalog or a sales brochure, I'd love to add it to my numismatic library.