Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What a difference a week makes

I picked up the 1966 Topps Rub Offs Mickey Mantle PSA 10 at the Memory Lane auction last week for $750 w/ buyers premium and another PSA 10 sells 1 week later by PWCC for $1,324.00. Both newer certs and PSA 10's. Nice to have luck on your side once in a while.

Answers

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trying to deny that shady things happen on eBay but as someone who recently (3 yrs) ago got back into collecting after a several decade long break it's not that surprising to me. I knew who PWCC was well before Memory Lane, Herritage, etc.... because of eBay. Everyone and there grandparents knows who eBay is. But it took me well over a year in my journey to track down all the other non eBay based auction houses. More eyes, and perhaps more less knowledgable eyes, equals higher prices.

Kevin

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@Tomi said:
    I picked up the 1966 Topps Rub Offs Mickey Mantle PSA 10 at the Memory Lane auction last week for $750 w/ buyers premium and another PSA 10 sells 1 week later by PWCC for $1,324.00. Both newer certs and PSA 10's. Nice to have luck on your side once in a while.

Sounds like you should sell on PWCC for a quick profit! Kidding of course as I'm sure it's for a personal collection but I wonder how much money could be made in some instances!

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

So, is it better to go to a non-ebay auction house than one that is on ebay?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that Ebay is and always will be the dominant place to go to for cards. I have searched high and low for another place like it, and it's a lost cause.

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

If you add up all the unique buyers of sports collectibles registered across all the Memory Lanes, REA, Mile Highs, Kevin Savage, Sterling, LOTG, Sirius, etc., down to the Joe’s Vintage Cards, the number would be a small fraction of the number of potential sports collectibles buyers on eBay. In the brief list above I’m sure there will be a reader or few unaware of one or more of those auction houses. Unaware means you’re not bidding on the cards in those auctions, but you’ll get a chance at whatever doesn’t get buried in collections when the the items get put up on eBay.

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Amazing

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickup.

If I had known about it, i might have outbid you. ;)

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Not trying to deny that shady things happen on eBay but as someone who recently (3 yrs) ago got back into collecting after a several decade long break it's not that surprising to me. I knew who PWCC was well before Memory Lane, Herritage, etc.... because of eBay. Everyone and there grandparents knows who eBay is. But it took me well over a year in my journey to track down all the other non eBay based auction houses. More eyes, and perhaps more less knowledgable eyes, equals higher prices.

My grandparents didn't know a thing about eBay or the internets. But Gram made a helluva deviled egg.

Also, they're dead.