Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice needed on Kaiser RS-1 copystand setup

DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, Gang. I recently purchased a Kaiser RS-1 copystand to replace my aging Bencher Copymate II, but the seller sent it with the arm disconnected from the column. Looking online I see that the arm and column comes preassembled, so I'm kind of mad that he sent it in pieces. There is rolled metal that presumably stretches down the column to support the heavy arm, but it is presently rolled up to the cap on top of the column.
I'm in need of some help here. Could someone please explain (hopefully with pictures) how to reassemble the arm back onto the column?
Help! Thanks in advance

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Answers

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For technical support
    support@kaiserfotous.com 914.347.3302

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    For technical support
    support@kaiserfotous.com 914.347.3302

Thank you but no one is picking up on a Friday night. I'm throwing a Hail Mary to you guys. Somebody's had to have had this problem before, no?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2019 3:43PM

I have a Kaiser RS-1.
    Perhaps if you post a few photos of its current state, I could check mine and suggest how to reconnect things.
    I won't be able to respond until late tonight, and I'll be around this weekend.
    The manual might be helpful:
    http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/pdf/anleitungen/5510bed.pdf

• Options

Thanks for responding. The manual is no good, as it only says the arm is already assembled. I need to know how to put I back on the column. How to connect the rolled metal back to support the arm. There are 1 holes in the metal, but I do not see where they would connect, nor are there any screws to do so.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    edited April 12, 2019 4:49PM

Thanks.
    I will take mine apart late tonight and post some photos of how the pieces connect.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well first grab some safety glasses and gloves as this could get ugly! :s

Reattach the top cap and then stretch the tape all the way down the back column channel.

Your going to have to stretch it beyond the base of the column.

Slip the trolley on with just the one surround around the base of the column.

It should have a little hook on the left bottom and the pulley directional knob is on the right facing front.

You need to then slip the tape under the pulley chrome barbell and then slip on the second bracket of the trolley assembly.

Now still holding on to the tape you need to insert the column into the base connection bracket.

There should be 2 screws to attach the tape to the base connection bracket.

The trolley rides on a pulley which is gravity tension controlled so there's no real rocket science.

Good luck and expect some profanity to occur but if you get this accomplished without a emergency room visit you should feel proud! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@yosclimber said:
    Thanks.
    I will take mine apart late tonight and post some photos of how the pieces connect.

Man, that would be absolutely kind of you. This has been frustrating me all day and the seller is MIA. I found this picture online of how the metal is supposed to stretch down the column
    Mine is curled up top. Look forward to hearing back from you and thank you again!
    Den

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW you should put me in your will before you do anything! ;)

• Options

Alright so I pulled the metal tape down until it snapped out of the top cap, causing the below battlefield injury

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

I'm already hurt more than my 2 tours in Iraq.
    There seems to be no screws to attach the tape. It's just sitting there. Is that right? Just wrap it around and that enough?
    I'm afraid of getting whacked again!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Gloves and safety glasses now before the next stages :s

• Options

Okay any place to attach the tape with 2 screws within the trolley assembly?

I doubt that you can bend and feed the tape back through the pulley unless the tape is stretched down beyond the column?

As Kaiser uses machinery to do this.

• Options

Can you lift the chrome pulley on the non handle side to slip the tape under?

Does the ABS black plastic that the chromed pulley sits in and tape feeds through have screw holes on the edge?

• Options

For those following this as it's been over 1/2 hour since DCW posted.

I just spoke to him on the phone and he's close to getting it on without any further major blood loss.

• Options

No screws, the I'm actually a lot closer to lacerating my hand again than getting this arm onto the column.
    Where in the world does this metal tape hook onto!?
    Nothing works

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

You can Google how to fly an Apache helicopter, no problem. But just try and learn something about the assembly of this copy stand.
    Top secret.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

From the manufacturer:

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    edited April 13, 2019 4:55AM

I've used youtube vids to figure out how to change the headlights on my Prius - great for that sort of thing.

Here are 13 photos showing how I reassembled the Kaiser RA-1 arm and column after taking them apart.

1. The top piece separates into 2 halves, holding the spring.
    My spring has a hook riveted onto its end.
    Your spring is missing this split hook, but seems to be bent at the end,
    so it may be enough to hook onto the arm in the same way.

2. Pieces of the arm, ready to assemble. (Upside down, though - see next photo for rightside up).
    You seem to be missing the machine screws.
    You will need to find replacements that fit into the places indicated.

3. Rightside up - ready to slide the pieces together.

4. Pieces pushed together.

5. Add the 4 machine screws and 2 white plastic screws, but do not tighten all the way.
    You need to leave them fairly loose so the column will fit into the rectangular slot.

6. Spring with hook, ready to hook onto arm.

7. Spring hooked onto arm.

8. Unroll the spring about 2" and slide half of the top piece onto it, supporting it.
    This may be tricky without the riveted hook. You might need another person to help.
    It might also be possible to do this without taking the top piece apart.

9. Slide the other half of the top piece onto the spring.

10. Insert the column into the rectangular hole in the arm.

11. Hold the column vertical between your knees, and wiggle the arm onto it (turning the crank as well), until a little
    of the column peeks out of the top. Here if you tightened the machine screws too much, you will need to loosen them.

12. Attach the top piece to the column using 2 phillips screws.

13. Finally, tighten the 4 machine screws. The 2 white plastic screws are only "finger tight";
    they appear to control the friction between the arm and the column.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2019 6:53AM

Thank you, @yosclimber
    That was really cool of you to take yours apart and take all of those photos.
    My "spring" is indeed missing that hook. It isn't bent either, flat on the roll. What is yours hooking up to? The main mystery for me is where that metal roll is placed in relation to that metal "barbell" thingamajig and the column, which I can see in your instructions.
    Is it sandwiched between that and the little black base it sits on? Or do you just latch the spring onto any old part of the arm that will hold it?
    Looks like I have all the screws, but now I am concerned that the metal spring is defective (which should probably be easily replaced.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Whew I watched the bladesmiths on Forged in Fire not only make a hook but a whole copy stand in less time ;)>:)

Well now we know what the holes on the band/tape attach to.

Did you route though all the packaging to see if it's in there yet?

Small parts from Kaiser USA Distribution are painfully expensive.

• Options

Well, I didnt work through the night on this Frank! Once the swelling on my hand went down, I was too tired to carry on with the fight. LOL.
    Dont know what my next move is here, but I'll probably have to call Kaiser on Monday.
    Unless another revelation presents the perfect fix.
    I'm thankful for all the suggestions and helpful photos, guys

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    From the manufacturer:

I swear @DCW I’m not making lite of your troubles with this as I would not have patience for this stuff.......
    ....and I’m a contractor, mind you only a paper contractor but nonetheless. Glad @Broadstruck was able to help you out.
    Anyways now that I came late to the party, can we say say that cameonut sure gave a freaking hilarious “from the manufacture” image :D:D
    I feel this way when I set up a new wolf range or sub zero refer. Also all this home automation , sound systems, hd tv’s. Security camera’s......on and on crap.
    Getting all these things to talk to each other on the iPad is like getting a rubber band snap to my brain!

• Options

Good to hear you didn't work on it all night...

Although I bet with bookies in Las Vegas who set the odds that you might ;)>:)

• Options
    edited April 13, 2019 8:32AM

I hope you all didn't mind me poking a bit of fun. I'm glad the problem is solved - on a weekend no less.

Way to go @yosclimber and @Broadstruck

• Options

Problem is most definitely not solved, folks. Dont know if I can get this thing together in its present state.
    Shouldve bought new.
    Try and save a few bucks, waste several hours and raise blood pressure

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it about the Kaiser RS-1 copystand that makes it an upgrade over the Bencher Copymate II?

• Options

@robec said:
    What is it about the Kaiser RS-1 copystand that makes it an upgrade over the Bencher Copymate II?

Column height as you can shoot close ups and full slabs with one lens.

Camera arm raises quickly smooth like butter when fully assembled.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@robec said:

Column height as you can shoot close ups and full slabs with one lens.

Camera arm raises quickly smooth like butter when fully assembled.

I can do closeups and full slabs with my 100mm macro as well with the Copymate II

While the arm doesn't raise as smooth as the lens does with my microscope stand it's still pretty smooth with the Copymate II.

Thanks, I was just curious.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

But --- will it slab....or sticker?

• Options
    edited April 13, 2019 1:26PM

@DCW said:
    My "spring" is indeed missing that hook. It isn't bent either, flat on the roll. What is yours hooking up to?

The hook reaches around the lip of the plastic frame of the arm.

The main mystery for me is where that metal roll is placed in relation to that metal "barbell" thingamajig and the column, which I can see in your instructions.
    Is it sandwiched between that and the little black base it sits on?

The metal spring roll does not contact the metal "barbell".
    The spring roll just attaches to the inside top of the arm frame.
    The "barbell" only contacts the column.

Or do you just latch the spring onto any old part of the arm that will hold it?

There is only one place where the split hook seats.

Looks like I have all the screws, but now I am concerned that the metal spring is defective (which should probably be easily replaced.

It's good that you have all the screws!
    Hopefully the spring roll can be replaced for under $100.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2019 2:39PM

@robec said:

I am going to take a guess it’s German so it’s naturally expensive. I really like the copy stand RPMS sold me. Would I pay for a Kaiser probably. I would like to try one and fell the German technology I am sure it’s impressive.

So to the OP if your set up does not have the hook portion on the spring? Since they are riveted from factory would there not be at least two empty holes where the hook was when new? If not maybe you have a different piece or it’s been piece Mealed together.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the ending (begining) of this thread. Looking forward to your pics.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

Glad to read you got it assembled! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file