Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 1908 High grade 1 Cent coin

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12, 2019 10:12AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

At our coin club (Nanaimo -BC-Canada) meeting yesterday, I traded 3 older coin books for a 1908 ICCS graded large cent. Plus I gave a crisp 100$ Canadian bill in addition for the coin.
Is it a good deal??
The coin is photographed through the ICCS flip-2 layers of plastic.
What grade and comment do you think ICCS gave the coin?
How would PCGS grade it?

Thank you all for chiming in on this one.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

What is the assigned grade?

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

MS 63? Color looks a bit subdued .

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'd say 63 red, possibly 64, but only if the black marks in front of the king are on the plastic. You're no dummy so, if you gave him $100 plus, then I'll go with 64 red.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2019 2:25PM

thanks guys.
    Syl, how do you know that I am no dummy as we have never met. Sometimes I question my own doings.
    You are closest but according to Brian, it is SP65. :o
    the marks appear to be not damage on the coin. Coin looks perfect.
    IMO the subdued look is the characteristic SP strike for the time. I am not sure if the actually struck the set or parts for the 1908 set as circulation coins???
    I had the whole 5-coin set years ago and it looks the same. Still have the 50 cent.

We compared a 64 and this 65 and this was the nicer coin of the two.
    ICCS SP65
    If it would be simpler to send to PCGS from Canada , i would cut it out and send it, just for the better recognition.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Be prepared for SP64RB if you try to cross it. The streaking was caused by the inside lining of the specimen boxes reacting with the coin. Our hosts are very tough on these. Check the pop report.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/edward-vii-1903-1908/4308

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

Thanks Bosox,
    At this time I am not sure what I will do with the coin. I got it reasonable enough.
    But if I decide to sell it, it will stay in the ICCS flip......I think.... maybe...
    Perhaps the market will be better in Canada for a ICCS SP 65 R than for a PCGS 64 RB.
    I trust and respect your expertise and experience on this one.

If the small streaks are caused by interaction (rubbing?? or chemical?? with the purple material?)with the boxes, perhaps these can be removed?
    on the other hand, I have seen 65s and 66s with negatives which I thought they would or should be 64s.
    years ago I had the purple box with the coins in it and made the mistake to send it to ICCS...However they also most graded 65 but no mention of being part of a set. So I cut them out and sold the set with a bit of a profit a couple of years later.
    Thanks again to all of you who chimed in