Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Red Flip Autos Labeled “Trading Card”

Haven’t been around here for a while and I’m wondering why a red flip auto would be labeled like this, without the year and card brand? Thought this was just for blue flips.

Hoping this isn’t a new thing.

Comments

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Not sure why, buddy! But I do know PSA did away with blue flips. Is that your card?

• Options

No a friend sent me the screen shot.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Even on the red flips, (skrezyna23 is correct, there are no more blue flips) the autograph can be authenticated but not the card, hence the trading card designation.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a little odd. I don't understand why they just didn't put the year and card brand. I mean........?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trading card?

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

The "Trading card" thing bothers me so much I upgrade to the dual grading on the auto and the card (even for beaters) and they put the card description on those.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:
    The "Trading card" thing bothers me so much I upgrade to the dual grading on the auto and the card (even for beaters) and they put the card description on those.

You can just choose “authentic” for the card and they’ll still include info on the label. You don’t need to opt for a numerical grade.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@yankeesman said:

You can just choose “authentic” for the card and they’ll still include info on the label. You don’t need to opt for a numerical grade.

Good to know. I was told by PSA that only the dual graded will qualify for PSA/DNA registry sets. Have you heard that as well? That's the other reason I've been using dual grading.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

@yankeesman said:

@DBesse27 said:

@yankeesman said:

Good to know. I was told by PSA that only the dual graded will qualify for PSA/DNA registry sets. Have you heard that as well? That's the other reason I've been using dual grading.

I had heard that auto grades are how they determine set ratings and standings and such on the PSA/DNA side, but with that said, I don’t participate in that side of the registry, so I can’t be 100% certain.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

https://blog.psacard.com/2019/01/15/psa-now-uses-red-labels-for-all-encapsulated-items/

Nothing changed between the Blue and Red services except the flip color
    Uniformity and higher security of the flip are a couple of reasons why they went Red across the board

• Options

@initialD said:
    https://blog.psacard.com/2019/01/15/psa-now-uses-red-labels-for-all-encapsulated-items/

Uniformity and higher security of the flip are a couple of reasons why they went Red across the board

Correct. The blue flip never authenticated the card, just the auto, and there is a red flip service that's the same. If you choose that service (auto authentication only) then the flip will say "trading card."

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@initialD said:

Correct. The blue flip never authenticated the card, just the auto, and there is a red flip service that's the same. If you choose that service (auto authentication only) then the flip will say "trading card."

THIS^^, BUT wondering if BOTH red flips (trading card and authentic) can be submitted together for card or dual grade. Before the blue flips were "in a sperate system" and separate return shipping was required. Hopeefully the move away from the blue flips has rectified this additional fee

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@initialD said:

this