Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would it grade? Staubach rookie

Won this in an estate auction. It was a group of cards and I don't think anyone spotted this one. So I'm into it cheap. I already have one, so I was thinking of grading and selling this one. So what do you guys think? Could it pull a 4 ? The bottom left corner does have a crease.

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 at best I think

• remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Kinda what I was thinking.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

A nice looking low grade example. Congrats!

It really does look nice. Centering isn't half bad either. My personal staubach is better. But this one isn't bad for a tough card to find in high grade.

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Also think a nice 3. But, if it found its way into a 4, it wouldn't be brought up on trial on these boards

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2019 1:56AM

Nice find.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing that bothers me when I look at your card is that for as skinny a the top border is, I would think that the bottom border would be thicker than it is. I hope I am wrong, but if you measure that card from top to bottom it nay come up shorter than 3 1/2 inches.

@nam812 said:
    The thing that bothers me when I look at your card is that for as skinny a the top border is, I would think that the bottom border would be thicker than it is. I hope I am wrong, but if you measure that card from top to bottom it nay come up shorter than 3 1/2 inches.

Damn. Good eye. It is a tad shorter than 3 1/2. I dont think its trimmed, so does that mean miscut??

@remedylane said:
    Damn. Good eye. It is a tad shorter than 3 1/2. I dont think its trimmed, so does that mean miscut??

Now it's a crap shoot if you submit it for grading. It could get a evidence of trimming, or it could get a minimum size requirement.

Oh well. I still did fine on the estate sale. I sold one redline hotwheel last night and paid for my entire auction, with tons of stuff left including more redlines. I'll throw the staubach on eBay for $30 and be done with it.

@remedylane said:
    Oh well. I still did fine on the estate sale. I sold one redline hotwheel last night and paid for my entire auction, with tons of stuff left including more redlines. I'll throw the staubach on eBay for $30 and be done with it.

Before you do that, how short are we talking about? What was the measurement you got? A more accurate way is to measure it with a ruler that has centimeters on it. A full card top to bottom (3 1/2 inches) will be 8.89 cm.

@nam812 said:

@remedylane said:

Before you do that, how short are we talking about? What was the measurement you got? A more accurate way is to measure it with a ruler that has centimeters on it. A full card top to bottom (3 1/2 inches) will be 8.89 cm.

I'll post some measurement pics this evening.