Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A feeling of guilt, confession of an Ebay sniper

Every time that I win an Ebay auction by using this method, I feel terrible. Last time I did it, the person had been watching the card for 4 days, and he/she was the only bidder. Then at the last second, I came flying out of the camouflaged nest I had built, and snatched the card before they knew what hit them. As usual I felt horrible. That's why I prefer buy it now. I understand that this is the way the game is played, but I hate to ruin someones day by sniping them at the last second. I just feel terrible when I do this, but it is the way you have to play the game these days, especially if you are on a budget. I just needed to get this off my chest.

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sniping is part of the game. I was beat out by it many times before I started using it. Even with it, I still get beat. It is all about how much you feel it is worth (and bid accordingly).

Happy sniping!

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

Sniping is even better when you are the seller. Pretty cool to see bids quadruple in the last second.....and pretty disappointing when they don't move at all in the last second.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Nothing beats a good snipe hunt.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

First-world guilt.

Andy

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

BOOM ! Headshot.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time I sniped, it was a rare Larry Bird card. The person had been watching for 4 days and had the only bid on it. Then with about 15 seconds left, I got my high bid in and stole it away. I felt horrible, but I had to do it.

• Options

That's just how the game is played. I've been sniped before, so I know how it goes. Still, I hate to ruin somebodys day like that.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I snipe and don’t lose a second of sleep. I’ve been sniped countless times too. The circle of life.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    BOOM ! Headshot.

Lol yes!

• Options

Whenever I do auction bidding, sniping is the only way I have been successful.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sniping is the only way I bid.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 3:05PM

@doubledragon said:
    Last time I sniped, it was a rare Larry Bird card. The person had been watching for 4 days and had the only bid on it. Then with about 15 seconds left, I got my high bid in and stole it away. I felt horrible, but I had to do it.

That's not a snipe in my book. That's lobbing a grenade the split second after you pull the pin. Watch out it might get tossed right back at you! 1.5 is my slot.

Kevin

• Options

1.5! The grenade would probably explode in my hands. You got some guts. 😉

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

No guilt here. Snipe or be sniped. Nothing personal. Hobby Business.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

He once killed a man TWICE. He's Walker Texas Ranger. Weekdays at 11 a.m., only on Get TV.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Of course it sucks to get sniped, but it never really bothered me too much. When I'm bidding, I just figure out the max I wanna pay, set it, and let the cards fall where they may.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:
    Of course it sucks to get sniped, but it never really bothered me too much. When I'm bidding, I just figure out the max I wanna pay, set it, and let the cards fall where they may.

Same!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I snipe with about 2-3 seconds left. No snipe weapon except my own finger. I sleep very very well afterward.

Andy

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone feel guilty over using a legitimate and accepted bidding practice that is FREE for ANYONE to use. I would say this to anyone...you are a fool if you don't use it if you are at all serious about winning specific and meaningful items.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

I have zero sympathy for anyone who is not already sniping their auctions. Feeling sorry for someone bidding on an auction has never crossed my mind.

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Does anyone schedule a snipe down to 1 second left? I'm not even sure that's an option but I swear it's happened to be via PWCC auctions lately.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:
    Does anyone schedule a snipe down to 1 second left? I'm not even sure that's an option but I swear it's happened to be via PWCC auctions lately.

I would have to say most snipes that are that low are probably manual

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Oh the thrill of the perfect snipe win with 6 seconds left (I waited 10 days for these final moments)
    I despise being out-sniped

.......I'm old school; sniping software not needed

• Options

I must admit, in the final minutes of an auction my adrenaline kicks into high gear, and I get a pretty good thrill.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

A feeling of guilt

Hiya Jason

For me?

More like a "guilty pleasure" buddy.

Two big reasons I use a sniping service - been using a free service - GavelSnipe forever.

1. Sometimes there's auctions that end practically at the same time.

2. It eliminates emotion - when I set a snipe - that's "all" I want to pay for something. Otherwise, I would go nuts and start bidding until one of us dropped if it were possible - I'm being dramatic but I'm sure you get my drift?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

A feeling of guilt

Hiya Jason

For me?

More like a "guilty pleasure" buddy.

Two big reasons I use a sniping service - been using a free service - GavelSnipe forever.

1. Sometimes there's auctions that end practically at the same time.

2. It eliminates emotion - when I set a snipe - that's "all" I want to pay for something. Otherwise, I would go nuts and start bidding until one of us dropped if it were possible - I'm being dramatic but I'm sure you get my drift?

Gavelsnipe. I'll be darned. That's pretty smooth. Let the Gavelsnipe do the killing! I like the sound of that!

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get your drift Mike

lol haven’t heard that one in a LONG while!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I feel no guilt sniping, but I also have no animosity against those who beat me with a snipe. Lots of times I put in what I call a "placeholder" bid early on because it will remind me to check the item closer to its end, but also because occasionally I get lucky and win an item because it is mislisted or because nobody else notices it. I have won some neat stuff that way for way cheap.
    kevin

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Every time that I win an Ebay auction by using this method, I feel terrible. Last time I did it, the person had been watching the card for 4 days, and he/she was the only bidder. Then at the last second, I came flying out of the camouflaged nest I had built, and snatched the card before they knew what hit them. As usual I felt horrible. That's why I prefer buy it now. I understand that this is the way the game is played, but I hate to ruin someones day by sniping them at the last second. I just feel terrible when I do this, but it is the way you have to play the game these days, especially if you are on a budget. I just needed to get this off my chest.

How do you know the person watching was also the bidder? I thought watchers were anonymous.

• Options

The bid and the watcher were there for 4 days. I just assumed that the bidder was keeping an eye on it.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2019 10:13AM

I try to avoid watching anything because I do not want to tip anyone off that there is someone interested in the card. I stay completely hidden until there are about 15 seconds left.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stay completely hidden until there are about 15 seconds left.

Mike
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I wait until about 5-8 seconds left. This does leave enough time for others to get another bid off, but it keeps me from getting caught up in winning and overpaying. If someone does counter in the last few seconds I typically don't have enough time to increase my max bid again.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    edited April 12, 2019 2:18PM

@Stone193 said:

I stay completely hidden until there are about 15 seconds left.

How did you get this picture of me?!