Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards with high turnovers

Hi All,

I'm curious what your thoughts are when looking at cards that seem to have a high turnover on ebay? I know this isn't perfect math but I was looking at 1980 topps Bird / Erving / Johnson card and noticed there have been 115 sales with PSA in the title (I haven't gone one by one to make sure there aren't reprints or wax packs in that number). There are 7171 PSA graded cards without qualifiers so the turnover is about 1.6% in 3 months or annualized (a dangerous thing I know) about 6.4% turnover. This is sales only and I see a handful popping up for sale every day. There seems to be a lot of MJ out there too...

How do you feel about the high turnover in cases like this? I'm still going to buy the card because I'd like to have it in low grade (seems to be harder to find than the higher grades!) However, when there are this many sales I feel like I can be patient about it but also wondering why so many people are selling!? Are there a lot of people flipping the card? Cashing in?

Comments

• Options

I've wondered about this too. I just checked the Bird/Erving/Johnson card, and WOW, there have been about 85 sales on ebay of PSA graded ones this year alone. Same with MJ with there being well over 100 this year!! I notice there are always a ton of 84 FU Puckett's listed to. I find the same with other players I frequently check card prices on like Clemente and Seaver - always a ton available. It makes me question demand.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a little strange that there are so many popping up for sale. It's like they're on a conveyer belt.

• Options

It also has to do with how many copies of a card were made. I find that cards that are low serial numbered take longer to pop up.

• Options

Print run has a lot to do with it.

• Options

But when I say print run, I am also talking about raw ungraded cards.

• Options

If thousands of copies of a card were printed then they will pop up more often. If a card is serial numbered to 10 or 25 copies made, then it will be a while before one pops up.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wanted to say turnovers are delicious!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

It is not a rare card, but has and will continue to be in demand in any grade. A big driving force behind cards like that in recent history is the eBay coupons and bonus bucks offers. Cards commonly graded and bought and sold though not rare would include magic/bird, MJ low-mid grade, Griffey 89UD 10, Jeter 93SP 7-8, Trout 11T Update, etc. Many of these fit in the max value range for eBay promos (600-1000) and thus have seen an increase in transactions.

That or the buyers group is manipulating them.😎

• Options
    PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Actually... is there a way to see how many cards get graded by PSA in the past year or since Jan 1 to see how fast the the overall population is growing?

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2019 7:06PM

@DBesse27 said:

Dan! How have you been man? Didn’t know you were back. It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on the other side.. Did you ever find that one white whale you were looking for a year or two ago? I believe it was a panel of some sort...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

@Gemyanks10 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Dan! How have you been man? Didn’t know you were back. It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on the other side.. Did you ever find that one white whale you were looking for a year or two ago? I believe it was a panel of some sort...

Hey man, great to hear from you! Mixed news on the whale front, but a glimmer of hope. After seeing none for 5 years, Three copies have surfaced in the last year. The closest I came was missing an eBay alert email by about 40 mins and having the card scooped up by someone I knew for $150-200 less than I would have willingly paid for it. That really hurt!

Other than that, BST auctioned off a complete set for thousands more than I could afford, and another collecting acquaintance of mine just last week completely stumbled upon a true holy grail: an uncut panel that included my whale card, another star card and the 16th and final card in the set, which was thought to just be a myth! The 2 toughest cards in the set on one panel, plus bonus star power! My jaw hit the floor.

Anyways, I ramble, as you know.... good to “see” you!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 8:10AM

I have so many white whales in the card collecting world. I have just turned the ship around and decided to let the dang whales find me.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

doubledragon, you should change your name to "Captain Obvious", lol. B)

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Hey man, great to hear from you! Mixed news on the whale front, but a glimmer of hope. After seeing none for 5 years, Three copies have surfaced in the last year. The closest I came was missing an eBay alert email by about 40 mins and having the card scooped up by someone I knew for $150-200 less than I would have willingly paid for it. That really hurt!

Other than that, BST auctioned off a complete set for thousands more than I could afford, and another collecting acquaintance of mine just last week completely stumbled upon a true holy grail: an uncut panel that included my whale card, another star card and the 16th and final card in the set, which was thought to just be a myth! The 2 toughest cards in the set on one panel, plus bonus star power! My jaw hit the floor.

Anyways, I ramble, as you know.... good to “see” you!

What is the white whale you seek?

• Options

1969 Eskimo Pie Gino Cappelletti/Dale Livingston

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27

I’ll put it on my list of cards to look out for!

• Options

@Rofles said:
    @DBesse27

I’ll put it on my list of cards to look out for!

Thank you! The cards from that set are tough enough, since they needed to be cut from ice cream cartons. But the one I’m looking for was extremely short printed, to boot! Appreciate the help.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

mmmm....... Eskimo Pie

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

Apple?

Mike
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Yep

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black