Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone have any luck submitting 1981 Topps Football?

I just picked up a very nice complete set and am considering taking a risk and submitting some 0 pop commons in hopes of getting a few 10's. I'm wondering if there is a consensus on what PSA looks at for the top border. Is it the the red/blue/green line that frames most of the card or is it the very tip of the "t" from Topps? I looked at a few on Ebay and at first it looked like the line going around is used. But, then I saw a couple of the more recently graded 10's and it appears to be closer to the "T". I know its a pretty small difference, and it could simply be a grader preference, I guess. But, since most common 9's barely cover the grading fee, I wanted to give myself the best chance without throwing money away.

Any insight/experiences would be greatly appreciated, Tom

Comments

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

wish I could help, but I haven't gotten too many from this set in all of the large lots I have bought the last half year...I will be curious to see if someone has the answer, in case I come across some 81's in the future...

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

True centering is the line (red,blue, green) that frames the card.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Thank you EagleEye. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

• Options

Tough set to compile in top-notch condition. Good Luck!!

This set has a special place in my heart as they were the first cards I remember getting as a kid. My mom grabbed a couple rack packs(probably 3 for $2) at a Woolco or McCroy's and said "here, be quiet" or something when I was six or seven. I remember thumbing through them for years and they bounced around in various drawers and shoe boxes(I know, nooooo......). I was a Raiders fan when I was a little kid(their colors and name were cool!) so I was more interested in the Jim Plunkett and Art Shell cards than some guy named Montana(though I knew who he was). When I started "seriously" collecting in 1991, I pulled these out of a dresser drawer, put the Montana in a snap case and sold a few of the others to a local shop(Largent or Hampton maybe).

Last year, I listed the remainder on Craigslist and a guy contacted me being interested. Well, he was looking for cards that would grade 10's like the op, and had misread my add which said they would likely grade NO better than excellent. I wondered why he was pawing at his phone with an odd look on his face, then he admitted he mis-read the add and wasn't interested in the condition they were in. After some time, I've decided to just keep them for the memories. The Terry Bradshaw is probably in the best condition but I doubt its better than a 6. Most of the rest have a nice "vintage" look to them, probably 4's and 5's. One even has a piece of a rubber band stuck to it and some battery acid to boot? LOL!

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely centered on the green top line with bottom green line. The T in Topps doesn't come into play.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Here are a couple to reference. Looks like it could go either way.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06