Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found this old coin while renovating an apartment.

coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 9, 2019 1:06PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I own an apartment building that was built in 1835. While renovating today I found this old coin behind a wall. It looks like it may be British but I'm not sure. The reverse is worn smooth. It is copper and does not have a reeded edge. It weighs 5.7 grams and is slightly larger than a quarter. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I think you've nailed it.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that series have "low ball" collectors? If it does you may be rich. ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

a nice find indeed. it pays to keep an open eye

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I believe BillDugan nailed it. It's amazing with just a couple details you can identify this coin.

When I first saw it I thought it could be an early US State coin, several states had similar designs including Connecticut, New York and Vermont.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Keep renovating!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet find !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...Looks like that thing purchased a lot of stuff before getting lost/retired.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

If You have any old fireplaces, think about peeking under the hearthstones if you can. I've discovered good luck coins place there by the original owner/builder. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall